What's new

[Release] FreshJR Adaptive QOS (Improvements / Custom Rules / and Inner workings)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I have fiber. 1 gig

Pictures are small on my phone and monitor and when blown up (zoomed in) I can't quite make it out. Is that first picture showing you have a 1gig connection?

Attachments

• New 1.png
    New 1.png
    204.5 KB · Views: 558
  • New 2.png
    New 2.png
    168.9 KB · Views: 582
  • New 3.png
    New 3.png
    204.9 KB · Views: 573
Well that did not work?? lol.

Its OK, had to put my glasses on and make an educated guess.

I see well wanted to try it out see if it helped?

Thanks again for every ones insight on this, learned alot.
No problem, I may be wrong and if I am i'm sure someone will chime in and correct me. That's a heck of a connection though.

Thanks, Just wanted to see if FreshQOS would improve my game play a bit, ping.

Thanks, Just wanted to see if FreshQOS would improve my game play a bit, ping.

QoS would help if, for example, your downspeed was 1000mbps (gigabit) but your up speed was only 20mbps or so ...

But you look like you have gigabit in both directions. I don't think QoS would help. In fact, it might hurt things - I'm not sure if the AX88U's CPU can handle traffic shaping at 1000mbps symmetric speeds.

Last edited:
Yeah trying to run QoS with gigabit symmetric speeds, I feel he's negatively hurting his own connection trying to run QoS. Being that he likely has FTTH. His latency overall should be pretty damn steady, and if he was to have latency issue's at times. It's likely due to some kind of poor routing going on, not because his connection is being maxed out.

As you guys mentioned it's way different if we were talking about docsis 3.1 gigabit internet. As the upstream side is very limited in terms of speed, and overall shared bandwidth. Which can be up to 500 homes per node. Not including the amount of powered equipment cable isp's are using within a node, to serve every customer. On top of that, one customer within a node, can backfeed noise to a point, it kills bandwidth, causes packet loss, and make latency unstable overall for everyone on the node, until that customer is taken care of.

Anyways I know that last part is a bit off subject overall. Just stating for a symmetric gigabit connection, which is likely served via FTTH. Your overall latency should be pretty damn good, and stable overall, not requiring any kind of QoS. Unless you were somehow maxing your bandwidth out 24/7, which I highly doubt. If you're having latency issue's with games, my money goes to a routing issue, not something home side causing latency to be unstable.

Thanks for the info man. I get bad BB grades when I do not use QOS, thats why I was trying to run with FreshQOS. If I run with just the asus QOS or FreshQOS I get A+ on DSL reports, without it I get D or F's.

At the moment I am having issues with DSL reports, I can not get any bb grades, sometimes it works and most of the time it does not? I cant figure it out.

When I had the RT-AC3100 I never had issues with DSL rports other when they were having issues on there site. Now with this new AX88U, for some reason it does not want to work? I do not thing it could be the asus router, I have run tests just using the att gateway and still have issues.

Right now I am just using the regular QOS with bandwidth limiter to my ps4's, it works fine like that. The only issue is that it cuts my speeds in half, 500 down 500 up.

With the Ac3100 it worked perfectly, Mr.Merlin all ready gave me a explanation on why it does not work with the new Ax88u.

Thanks again for every one input on my matter.

I have 50 down && 25 up, with this my gaming thrives, my video streaming thrives, I download a file it is blazing fast but if I do all these at once my web browser crawls

At the moment I am having issues with DSL reports, I can not get any bb grades, sometimes it works and most of the time it does not? I cant figure it out.

PSA: DSL Reports speed test is kinda fuxxed up right now, for many people. Some regions have servers which work well. In my region (Toronto, Canada on TekSavvy Cable) none of the servers are working reliably - and I'm getting totally wrong bufferbloat test results.

BTW, DSLReports has had these issues for the past 2-3 months... I feel like many tech-savvy users are moving away from them, and trying other speedtest sites...

As an alternative, try "fast.com" -> Show More Info -> "Loaded Latency".
If you're less than 100ms, your bufferbloat is probably OK. If it's more than 100ms (like 200, 400, 500ms...) then your bufferbloat is probably bad.
fast.com is more reliable because it is run by Netflix.

PSA: DSL Reports speed test is kinda fuxxed up right now, for many people. Some regions have servers which work well. In my region (Toronto, Canada on TekSavvy Cable) none of the servers are working reliably - and I'm getting totally wrong bufferbloat test results.

BTW, DSLReports has had these issues for the past 2-3 months... I feel like many tech-savvy users are moving away from them, and trying other speedtest sites...

As an alternative, try "fast.com" -> Show More Info -> "Loaded Latency".
If you're less than 100ms, your bufferbloat is probably OK. If it's more than 100ms (like 200, 400, 500ms...) then your bufferbloat is probably bad.
fast.com is more reliable because it is run by Netflix.
I am using your script and I got mixed results.. On the desktop that is hard wired I got like 400 ms, on my cellphone on 5g I had 150 ms on a tablet that was connected to 2.4 ghz I had 100 ms.

I had no other devices connected when test were conducted.

I am using your script and I got mixed results.. On the desktop that is hard wired I got like 400 ms, on my cellphone on 5g I had 150 ms on a tablet that was connected to 2.4 ghz I had 100 ms.

Thanks will try it out.

Hi guys,

I've just installed the Gnuton merlin for my dsl ac 68u.

Do I install in the usual way that's at the beginning of this thread?

And can anyone guide me on how to set it up please?

I enabled AIProtection and have watched (via tcpdump) how the wred process communicates over http to Trend Micro servers to verify the reputation of the websites I visit. Since these queries presumably have the ability to block traffic, I was contemplating whether they should be considered high priority like Net Control packets since they can theoretically slow down your browsing.

Has anyone played with this before? Since they originate from the router, I assume they can't be entered into the FreshJR GUI, since I believe it only populates the POSTROUTING chain and this would be considered OUTPUT chain traffic.

I've added this rule to the "UPLOAD (OUTGOING TRAFFIC) CUSTOM RULES START HERE -- legacy method" section of the script:
Code:
iptables -D OUTPUT -t mangle -o $wan -d 23.47.79.0/24 -p tcp -m multiport --dports 80 -j MARK --set-mark ${Net_mark_up} &> /dev/null  #AIProtection wred queries as NetControl
iptables -A OUTPUT -t mangle -o $wan -d 23.47.79.0/24 -p tcp -m multiport --dports 80 -j MARK --set-mark ${Net_mark_up}
I don't know the definitive IP range for the Trend Micro servers, so I went with the /24 of the IP I currently see the wred process talking to. I also had to exclude port 80 from the VPNFix rule to avoid overriding my desired mark (I had also previously added 853 to this exclusion for DoT):
Code:
iptables -D OUTPUT -t mangle -o $wan -p tcp -m multiport ! --dports 53,123,853,80 -j MARK --set-mark ${Downloads_mark_up} &> /dev/null                                  #VPN Fix -              (Fixes upload traffic not detected when the router is acting as a VPN Client)
Not sure if this is really going to do any good, but in the spirit of not wanting anything to inhibit speedy websurfing, I thought I would bring this up to see if anyone else has thought about it before and if there is any value in doing this.

After belatedly consulting my favorite iptables flowchart, I realize that the POSTROUTING table would still process the packets, so I CAN enter this via the GUI as a simple rule with a Remote IP/CIDR of 23.47.79.0/24 and Remote Port of 80.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!