What's new

ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 (Owners)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I agree RMerlin,
Synology makes a very nice NAS product, however they like to over burden the CPU with their sidebar apps. You cannot do that with a router. I would guess they either majorly develop their product line or become like Vizio. A one hit wonder.

Just stumbled upon this thread when searching my issue with the ROG GT-AC5300. For the last couple of weeks I've been losing connection mostly via wired LAN. Happens 3-20 times per day, and with my home PC (which I work from home so it cripples my productivity) I end up losing network connection for minutes if not longer. Usually WiFi is OK, which is how I'm connected now, but even in the last 30 minutes I've noticed my wired IP cams losing connection for 10-20 seconds then coming back. WiFi IP cams stay connected.

Could what I'm reading above with the firmware issues explain the disconnections I'm getting via wired LAN? Anybody else with the issue I'm stating?

I'm on FW: 3.0.0.4.382_12184

Hello SyntaxInvalid,
welcome to SNB forums.

If you have any of the features turned on such as QOS, it could be causing issues. The June 2017 Firmware is buggy beyond what should have been released. There is a beta link on the 26th page in this thread that many of us are currently running. It seems to fix many of the issues although there is still room for improvement.

BTW everyone, is anyone else getting that the USA Firmware site is down as of this morning on ASUS for this router? I currently keep seeing
Oops!
We couldn’t find that page..

Perhaps finally working on a good production code release and pulling the buggy ones?

Thanks for the reply! Yeah I'm seeing the Oops page too, I tried finding other FW versions an hour ago.

QoS is off, IPS is off, any other suggestions? I'm going to start only using ports that others here have reported as beneficial...don't remember which those were though. Just know that 1/2 shouldn't be used.

EDIT: Found the ports as 3,4,7,8 (non link aggregating)

Last edited:
So I tried the new FW on page 26, it made my disconnects problem worse. I was able to connect via ethernet once and then after a few seconds, never again (even after reboots). Then I reverted back to 11243, which made the issue about the same frequency as the FW update from June. Then I realized that my WiFi connection had my IP settings hardcoded and not static assigned in the router (like my PC has), so I removed my PC's wired adapter static IP assignment from the router's settings and hardcoded them into the network adapter and it's been solid for about 5 minutes (best I've had all day through ethernet).

Wondering if my problems were due to static IP assignment from the router. My static assignments are in the 0-50 octet range, and DHCP starts at 100, so there's no conflict of addresses but maybe the router literally can't handle a static assignment to my PC.

Will report back later once the issue happens again, or it has been a day with solid connectivity.

Hi,
Yes don't use ports 1,2,5,6, in my experience they cause problems and I suspect there is an underlying software/driver issue that causes the slowdowns, reboots etc. I would also suggest that you reset the router to clear your old settings and put them back in manually. For me 15475 has been the most stable firmware so far.
There should be a new firmware out very soon (next day or so) that will hopefully rectify a lot of the problems that people have had.

Regards
Mark

15475 has been pretty good for me so far in regards to disconnects. Factory reset the router, flash the new firmware, factory reset again and it should be good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First. The Asus Firmware page is backup and now appears with larger text and a little web page refresh in design. No new code though.

I am pushing a little over 12 days now on 15475 beta code. I see a continuing error in the log about seeing it's own MAC address down various ports off the switch. Most likely going to reboot router tonight once everyone heads to bed. See the following errors over and over in log about own address. ...

Aug 14 22:35:20 kernel: ERR[set_app_info_qos_meta:3335] Failed to find app info entry (21-4-193)!
Aug 14 22:59:49 kernel: br0: received packet on eth7 with own address as source address
Aug 14 23:57:52 kernel: br0: received packet on eth7 with own address as source address
Aug 15 00:54:51 kernel: br0: received packet on eth7 with own address as source address
Aug 15 01:51:52 kernel: br0: received packet on eth8 with own address as source address
Aug 15 02:53:51 kernel: br0: received packet on eth8 with own address as source address

Still most stable code so far for this router. Cross fingers that ASUS can get a stable code to market this week.

Been running 11243 since yesterday with no issues, but I think the thing that did the biggest benefit was removing all static LAN IP Assignments from DHCP. Without those things have been smoother across the entire network (Logitech Harmony Hub not taking 5+ seconds to reconnect when activating the remote, IP cams not momentarily losing connection during the night, PC not losing connection, etc). It would be amazing to me if static IP assignments were problematic in Asus's firmware.

Anybody else see that behavior?

You might try giving the beta code a try.

Also lets clarify somethings, "Static" means for networking configurations, a IP address thats manually set ON a device thats outside of the default IP address pool of the router, i.e 192.168.0.100 thru .200 for example. Any addresses on either side of this pool can be used for Static IP addresses ON devices which is encouraged for devices that don't need much router management, i.e. cameras, controllers, printers and NAS, etc. The default IP address pool range is for Dynamic IP address usage or setting "Reserved" IP addresses ON the router for connected devices that get an IP address from this pool. Static IP addresses should not be used with in the IP address pool.

IP address reservations are working for me however I'm using the beta FW.

Been running 11243 since yesterday with no issues, but I think the thing that did the biggest benefit was removing all static LAN IP Assignments from DHCP. Without those things have been smoother across the entire network (Logitech Harmony Hub not taking 5+ seconds to reconnect when activating the remote, IP cams not momentarily losing connection during the night, PC not losing connection, etc). It would be amazing to me if static IP assignments were problematic in Asus's firmware.

Anybody else see that behavior?

I have both types. My devices which I can lock it, I have it defined on the device in the TCP/IP stack. There are a few things which I have on DHCP reservation such as son's phone, laptop etc which helps will the Adult filtering. (BTW, this works on both production and beta codes. ) In my 30+ years in network, M-DHCP or manually assigned MAC to IP in a DHCP server seems to work only about 75% of the time. Best to define IP address in the IP stack on the device and just make sure the IP picked is not part of the DHCP pool addresses.

You might try giving the beta code a try.

Also lets clarify somethings, "Static" means for networking configurations, a IP address thats manually set ON a device thats outside of the default IP address pool of the router, i.e 192.168.0.100 thru .200 for example. Any addresses on either side of this pool can be used for Static IP addresses ON devices which is encouraged for devices that don't need much router management, i.e. cameras, controllers, printers and NAS, etc. The default IP address pool range is for Dynamic IP address usage or setting "Reserved" IP addresses ON the router for connected devices that get an IP address from this pool. Static IP addresses should not be used with in the IP address pool.

IP address reservations are working for me however I'm using the beta FW.
I used the beta firmware for an hour yesterday and had more issues than with the current release firmware.

I understand the difference between DHCP and static assignment :) With all versions of the firmware I had routine network disconnects for all devices that were wired on the LAN, WiFi was solid. Happened at least half a dozen times each day, more to my PC. It had static assignment of 192.168.0.2 on the router which has DHCP range for .100 - .250. All other static assignments were from .10 - .30. With the same firmware (12243), which gave me the same amount of disconnects as the current release version (and less than the beta), only when I removed all static assignments on the router and set them manually in the PC NIC and other devices settings, did those disconnections go away. Haven't had even one since yesterday afternoon.

I have both types. My devices which I can lock it, I have it defined on the device in the TCP/IP stack. There are a few things which I have on DHCP reservation such as son's phone, laptop etc which helps will the Adult filtering. (BTW, this works on both production and beta codes. ) In my 30+ years in network, M-DHCP or manually assigned MAC to IP in a DHCP server seems to work only about 75% of the time. Best to define IP address in the IP stack on the device and just make sure the IP picked is not part of the DHCP pool addresses.
Yeah that's what I switched config too. Seems to have solved my issues of the router disconnecting all wired LAN nodes. So odd.

Yes, Statics should only be set on the devices, not both device and router. I presume this was the man cause of your problems. I haven't seen any issues with the beta. Been solid aside some knows I guess others maybe experiencing.

For me it solved the adaptive QOS issue seen in the version of FW your using or the current released version on there web site. It's broke on this version. Beta fixed it.

I used the beta firmware for an hour yesterday and had more issues than with the current release firmware.

I understand the difference between DHCP and static assignment :) With all versions of the firmware I had routine network disconnects for all devices that were wired on the LAN, WiFi was solid. Happened at least half a dozen times each day, more to my PC. It had static assignment of 192.168.0.2 on the router which has DHCP range for .100 - .250. All other static assignments were from .10 - .30. With the same firmware (12243), which gave me the same amount of disconnects as the current release version (and less than the beta), only when I removed all static assignments on the router and set them manually in the PC NIC and other devices settings, did those disconnections go away. Haven't had even one since yesterday afternoon.

Yes, Statics should only be set on the devices, not both device and router. I presume this was the man cause of your problems. I haven't seen any issues with the beta. Been solid aside some knows I guess others maybe experiencing.

For me it solved the adaptive QOS issue seen in the version of FW your using or the current released version on there web site. It's broke on this version. Beta fixed it.
You're not understanding or I'm not explaining right. The statics were ONLY set on the router, not the devices. Now they are ONLY set on the devices, not the router. I was a Sr. Sys Admin for over five years before I started my security services career so I know this stuff pretty well :)

Well why we use Reserved vs Static naming conventions. Reserved means ON the router and Static means ON the device. Yes I get what your saying.

I have both methods here, Several printers, NAS and Cameras that all use Static ON the devices. All other devices like PCs, Pads and gaming consoles use Reserved addresses ON the router.

Been doing this for 20 years. We all have experiences. Just saying.

If your still seeing issues at some point, you might factory reset, then manually load FW from your desktop then set up from scratch and see. Could also be something on your system too that maybe causing some problems. Disconnect all and add one device as a time if you want to check for this.

Hey guys

Just got this router. My 2.4 ghz network is non existent even tho it says its there. my firmware version is 3.0.0.4.382_12184.

Edit: after a factory reset, i only have 1 2.4 and 1 5ghz connection. its like I can only have 2 connections at same time. After 3rd reset i got all of them, but 2.4ghz disappeared after a while

Will a new firmware version be out today?

Last edited:

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!