What's new

Stubby-Installer-Asuswrt-Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Somehow there should be a central spot to send our tokens, and then the devs can work out among themselves when/if/how much they’ll accept. I’m going to set my efforts to sorting this out.

Somehow there should be a central spot to send our tokens, and then the devs can work out among themselves when/if/how much they’ll accept. I’m going to set my efforts to sorting this out.

That doesn't sound right to me?

The ones that accept donations are already set up for that. The ones that don't, won't. Maybe you should ask them? :)

Yeah I think that the more important thing we can do to ensure our hero's are taken care of is educating new folks. Ppl need to understand these just how important these 'volunteers' are to perpetuating such router greatness. I am grateful that we have been benefitting from their work for years, and it is the donations that keep their hearts warm to the idea. These are great men to begin with, so maybe a donation isn't required for them to continue? That makes them 1000% more so deserving of compensation imho.

All who use merlin and scripts need to understand that there are no free rides in life... too much leeching and the host will eventually die.

All who use merlin and scripts need to understand that there are no free rides in life... too much leeching and the host will eventually die.
Just as important to ensure SNB thrives itself in addition to the volunteer developers. Otherwise, where would we all hang out? :eek:

Right now, I personally don't feel right about accepting any donations at this time. I only started this journey a few years ago to satisfy my Selective Routing use case requirements, which reignited my interest in coding. @Martineau has been very generous with his knowledge and tips in helping me understand how Selective Routing works on Asuswrt-Merlin. I plan to release the Selective Routing project I have been working on very soon, perhaps next month.

If I was to accept donations, I wouldn't feel right about it unless I shared 50% with @Martineau. @Adamm and @thelonelycoder have also helped me in my coding journey. Looking at their code tells me I still have a ways to go before my shoddy code is at the level they are at. But I'm getting better at it with experience.

Then, we have the situation with the Stubby installer. I didn't have access to HND router and @Adamm did. His contributions to the project have greatly benefited the community. He was also able to pick up maintenance the past few months while I prepare to transition back to a full time day job.

For those coders that accept donations, please make a donation to them if you appreciate their efforts. From my experience, I know the amount of work effort involved can be huge and I'm sure they would appreciate any donation, no matter the amount.

For me, the occasional post of gratitude is sufficient.

Last edited:
AC86U:
stubby: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.1.0.0: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32

Some x64 entware library incompatibility againt?

First, this is not an April Fools prank. :)

There is a new release candidate of getdns that is being tested. What I found interesting is the release has experimental support for GnuTLS >= 3.5.0 as a replacement for OpenSSL. The intention is to replace OpenSSL with something more GnuTLS native at some point in the future. There was a target of 22-March. But that did not happen. GnuTLS was released on 27 March. So perhaps getdns will get updated to to use the new version of GnuTLS.

and then there's what cloudflare will be rolling out in the next while: the all-in-one, monetize the service routine, Cloudflare Warp
https://www.eweek.com/security/cloudflare-1.1.1.1-with-warp-accelerates-internet-privacy
encrypted DNS lookups over Wireguard tunnels...stubby with a vpn. Gold standard for online privacy, perhaps.
Someone has wireguard working on ac86 in another thread somewhere...

dunno what it means, but my Big Brother detector is flashing "Danger, Will Robinson!" Maybe they've made a quantum breakthrough.

When I run this...

Code:
drill -D asuswrt.lostrealm.ca @127.0.0.1

I used to get the AD flag

I haven't tested that in a while so along the way one of the updates changed something in my configuration.

Any ideas how to find and fix the problem?

When I run this...

Code:
drill -D asuswrt.lostrealm.ca @127.0.0.1

I used to get the AD flag

I haven't tested that in a while so along the way one of the updates changed something in my configuration.

Any ideas how to find and fix the problem?
Substitute 127.0.0.1 with 1.1.1.1....it has something to do with either dnsfilter or the local caching setting on the tools>other settings page. ;):)

Please make:
Code:
opkg update
opkg upgrade
If it doesn't help - you can manually remove get-dns and stubby and reinstall it both
It does not help. It can't help. Current Stubby compiled with openssl 1.0.x dependency, but recently updated aarch64 Entware changed libssl to 1.1.1 version.

PS: oh, I've got information from one of Entware maintainers… openssl 1.0.2 -> 1.1.1 in recent Entware, some packages are broken now. :(

First, this is not an April Fools prank. :)

There is a new release candidate of getdns that is being tested. What I found interesting is the release has experimental support for GnuTLS >= 3.5.0 as a replacement for OpenSSL. The intention is to replace OpenSSL with something more GnuTLS native at some point in the future. There was a target of 22-March. But that did not happen. GnuTLS was released on 27 March. So perhaps getdns will get updated to to use the new version of GnuTLS.

Hopefully they will retain the capability of using OpenSSL. Most embedded devices come with OpenSSL, adding an extra library just for getdns might be a roadblock to its adoption by routers manufacturers.

It does not help. It can't help. Current Stubby compiled with openssl 1.0.x dependency, but recently updated aarch64 Entware changed libssl to 1.1.1 version.

PS: oh, I've got information from one of Entware maintainers… openssl 1.0.2 -> 1.1.1 in recent Entware, some packages are broken now. :(
Odd, I guess I don't understand something?

I have the newest Stubby installed - Stubby DNS v1.1.1
It has been running fine with all entware updates on my AC86U.
Code:
user@RT-AC86U-1234:/tmp/home/root# opkg list-installed
getdns - 1.5.1-tls1.3
haveged - 1.9.4-1
libopenssl - 1.1.1a-2
stubby - 0.2.5-1

Odd, I guess I don't understand something?

I have the newest Stubby installed - Stubby DNS v1.1.1
It has been running fine with all entware updates on my AC86U.
Code:
user@RT-AC86U-1234:/tmp/home/root# opkg list-installed
getdns - 1.5.1-tls1.3
haveged - 1.9.4-1
libopenssl - 1.1.1a-2
stubby - 0.2.5-1

The same here, no issues running the latest libssl on my AX88U and AC86U.

Substitute 127.0.0.1 with 1.1.1.1....it has something to do with either dnsfilter or the local caching setting on the tools>other settings page. ;):)

That works, thanks.

I feel like I'm missing something, though. Just came out of another general anesthesia round so my mind may be a little foggy....