What's new

<testers needed> [TUTORIAL] Minidlna through debian-entware-mipsel

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

How this works for you

• Working fine on my router

Votes: 20 66.7%
  • Not working on my router

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Not yet installed

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Not interested

Votes: 7 23.3%

• Total voters
What Mount output do you mean?

I'll do that when I come home. Thx for the help

Does S99debian override the settings in minidlna.conf, or do I have to enter my music folder in that file too?

You have to set path in /mnt/sda1/debian/etc/minidlna.conf
By default is /mnt so if you set the correct mount path in S99minidlna should be ok without any changes

Here is my mount output:

Code:
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
/dev/root on / type squashfs (ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw)
devfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,noatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)
/dev/mtdblock5 on /jffs type jffs2 (rw,noatime)
usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
/dev/sda1 on /tmp/mnt/Mediadb type ext3 (rw,nodev,noatime,data=ordered)
devfs on /tmp/mnt/Mediadb/debian/dev type tmpfs (rw,noatime)
proc on /tmp/mnt/Mediadb/debian/proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /tmp/mnt/Mediadb/debian/sys type sysfs (rw)
/dev/sdb1 on /tmp/mnt/MyBook type ufsd (rw,nodev,noatime,nls=utf8,fmask=0,dmask=0,sparse,force)

Try this steps:
Code:
/opt/etc/init.d/S99debian stop
Code:
rm -r /mnt/Mediadb/debian/opt/minidlna
Now modify S99debian script to look like this
#!/bin/sh

PATH=/opt/bin:/opt/sbin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
# Folder with Debian Squeeze
CHROOT_DIR=/tmp/mnt/Mediadb/debian
# Some folder outside of sandbox, will be mounted to /mnt folder in Debian
# Leave commented if not needed
EXT_DIR=/tmp/mnt/MyBook/Music

CHROOT_SERVICES_LIST=/opt/etc/chroot-services.list
Start minidlna with
Code:
/opt/etc/init.d/S99debian start
Go to http://192.168.1.1:8200 and watch progress
Your second drive MyBook is ntfs formatted and may not work fine with linux.

Hi!
I never tried Tomato fw - are you happy whith it? Is it stable? I use Merlin's fw and like it for it's stability (and for the scripting capabilites with jffs), but I'd like try out Open VPN (which isn't available on RT-N16); which Tomato's version do you recommend?

It looks interesting..!
So, if I got you right, you're saying that you managed to «accomodate» those 2 apps running on an optware environment while at the same time you have a chrooted debian available on a entware environment (on /tmp/mnt/Seagate/Programs/debian) -- right or wrong?

Thanks for your feedback!
Joao

I run Tomato Shibby...it's been great for 2 years.

Yep, I run those two apps on optware and minidlna on chrooted Debian. I still don't see the need for entware and how it is related to chroot...dunno.

So far it's been working great. I wanted a way to build and customize my own version of minidlna for my Samsung TV. Only issue is that the scanner crashes on one folder with 1080i pioneer demo blu-ray rips. I tried compiling previous versions of minidlna with the same issue, but the same minidlna version 1.1.1 on tomato shibby build outside debian scans fine. So it looks like something is different on the debian environment....maybe ffmpeg. No big deal, I just hid that directory and the rest of my files scan fine. I was worried it might be unreliable and I would have to babysit scans for additional media added in the future.

It's finally scanning. I have no doubt about my ntfs drive. It works perfectly with the stock dlna. So I'm sure it will work now. Thx for the help.

Maybe a stupid question but how do you guys use that DLNA server? I currently have all my videos on my notebook which runs a DLNA server to stream to my TV. So if I use my router as the DLNA server I still need the notebook for the files.

A few years ago I used a USB drive with my router but those are not made for 24/7 use (2 or 3 died in the time of maybe 6 months) and if I have a NAS that would probably run a DLNA server aswell. So the only thing I could think of is using hard disks which are made for servers or at least are certified for permanent use for my router then I wouldn't need to use my notebook anymore.

Well I will still try that tutorial because it shows a lot of good work and effort have been put into it. I say thank you in advance.

I have a portable usb drive WD 500gb connected 24/7 but will enter sleep mode after a while so will not getting "old" from to much usage. I transfer media files with samba or ftp.

A few years ago I used a USB drive with my router but those are not made for 24/7 use (2 or 3 died in the time of maybe 6 months) and if I have a NAS that would probably run a DLNA server aswell. So the only thing I could think of is using hard disks which are made for servers or at least are certified for permanent use for my router then I wouldn't need to use my notebook anymore.
You can set a time in routers UI so hdd's won't spin 24/7 but instead the go to sleep when not used :). I have entware set up on sd card and 2 HDDs connected to my N66U and they stay in sleep mode a lot :).

1.1.3 - Released 05-June-2014
--------------------------------
- Enhance log level settings.
- Fix Samsung browsing when root_container is set.
- Add Clang compiling support.
- Fix compiling on systems without iconv.
- Add merge_media_dirs option, to revert to the old behavior.
- Add Asus O!Play client support.
- Fix Broken SSDP multicast membership addition.
- Fix crash bug with an emtpy filter argument.
- Accept SMI subtitles in addition to SRT.
- Add BubbleUPnP detection and enable subtitle support.
- Allow the user to specify an arbitrary root container.
- Add libavcodec > 54 / libav 10 compatibility.
- Get embedded cover art from video files with recent libavformat versions.
- Disable Samsung DCM10 capability, as it breaks compatibility with new models.
- Add subtitle support for NetFront™ Living Connect middleware-based clients.

New version of minidlna is out on http://sourceforge.net/projects/minidlna/

TeHashX , could you update topic with tutorial for upgrade old version ( if mipsel version is out too ) ?

Thank you.

TeHashX,

Thank you, i successfully install this version on my N66W.

Samsung TV F6400

Do you have bookmarks with this version, I mean video files will start from the point you leave then last time?
I ask you because I lost bookmarks on my E series tv and I don't want to break other series trying to fix this.

Do you have bookmarks with this version, I mean video files will start from the point you leave then last time?
I ask you because I lost bookmarks on my E series tv and I don't want to break other series trying to fix this.

Unfortunately i do not check this, from the first run of new version.
After install i recreate minidlna db, and start check play from the root of minidlna file list.
Test mp4,avi and mkv files . All files normal playback ( except one avi, i think TV unsupport codec DivX 5.2.1 (WaffleDay) )

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!