What's new

ASUS RT-N66U Dark Knight Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to open up my RT-N66U in order to fit a sd card.
I have removed the 4 screws located under the rubber feets.
There was a small warranty seal on one of the screws which
was quite easy to just lift a little without breaking it.
I have a problem though, the lid is still as firm fit on the router
even with all screws removed.

Anyone here successfully got the router open that can share how?
I guess I need to use a pryer but I need to know were to do it so that
I don't crack the lid which seems a bit fragile.
Is there a fifth screw in the middle under the sticker?

UPDATE
I finally got it open, all it took was a lil more brute force then I felt comfortable with.
I would say that a pryer is quite needed opening this baby up, if you want to keep your nails unbroken.
Maybe it was just the first time, I get a feeling it will be easier next time when the plastic handles have soften some.
The lid is connected to the base hooks in eight places as I try to illustrate below. lol
_...._...._

!...........!
_...._...._
(must use dots instead of space)

I started with a pryer on the front middle one and worked my way to the right corner and all the way around.
Now back to the fun installing the card :)

UPDATE 2
Added a 16GB "Samsung Class 10 Plus" card and it works great, quite fast too.

Multi Flash Reader
Partition 'sda1' ext3 (14.83 GB / 14.66 GB free) is mounted on /tmp/mnt/sda1

Last edited:
I have a different question. On the bottom of that page, it states:

Note: The USB-HDD should larger than 2GB. For more stable using, please use external power supply for USB-HDD.

Has anyone tried using a drive that runs off USB power?

Hi i have tried 3 different usb powered usb drives with no problem. I read that the usb ports are rated mutch higher than normal on the router. In other words it allows higher watts per usb port. I have run usb drives that normaly require a split cable with a single cable on the router as it has super usb ports. A very nice feature!!

hi
I have found in Photo

Attachments

• P1020665.jpg
    P1020665.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 634

UPDATE
I finally got it open, all it took was a lil more brute force then I felt comfortable with.
I would say that a pryer is quite needed opening this baby up, if you want to keep your nails unbroken.
Maybe it was just the first time, I get a feeling it will be easier next time when the plastic handles have soften some.
The lid is connected to the base hooks in eight places as I try to illustrate below. lol
_...._...._

!...........!
_...._...._

I started with a pryer on the front middle one and worked my way to the right corner and all the way around.

UPDATE 2

Multi Flash Reader

Why don't they make the card reader available , don't want to open up the router , but looks like that's what I'm going to do .

I just got an email from newegg that the RT-N66U is in stock.

Yeah I got that email today too. What's funny is I've been using the RT-N66U I bought from Newegg 10 days ago for a week now:D

Sam

UPDATE
_...._...._

!...........!
_...._...._

UPDATE 2

Multi Flash Reader

Are you using the microsd card with the stock firmware? What can you do with it? With Tomato, you can use it as hard drive as if you were using the usb hard drive.

Are you using the microsd card with the stock firmware? What can you do with it? With Tomato, you can use it as hard drive as if you were using the usb hard drive.

Router is running Tomato (Shibby) so it shows up just like any connected USB device.
I plan to install Optware and play some with that, I need a PPTP server for my phone. I guess there is loads of fun to mess with :)

In my opinion it's kinda shame to run great hardware like this on stock firmware when the opportunity to have the best router there is, is just a flash away.

I definitely recommend everyone to at least flash it once just to try it out.
It's amazing, and everything just works compared to when I played with stock firmware and absolutley nothing was working.

Hopefully Asus will have a really good firmware too in not to long time, but I would not go back anyway lol... Tomato is simply to damn good. :D

Why don't they make the card reader available , don't want to open up the router , but looks like that's what I'm going to do .

I think it's worth the mess really. It's very nice having the expanded memory inside the router instead of having a plug sticking out.

It is possible to remove the screw with the "warranty void" seal without breaking it.

Whats most annoying really is that when tearing the rubber feet off you lose most of the glue in the process.
Some "non permanent" spray glue or similar can come in handy.

From the Asus Vip support the new FW 108 received, who would like to have it.
I have no fix list at the moment.

Hallo Leute

Hab vom Asus Vip support die Neue FW 102 erhalten , wer sie haben möchte www.mydrive.ch

User :rtn66u@bigmag
Pss:rtn66u
der zugang bleibt 24 Stunden offen :)

Hallo Leute

Hab vom Asus Vip support die Neue FW 102 erhalten , wer sie haben möchte www.mydrive.ch

It appears to be stable. I am still checking it out to see what changes took place.

Thanks...

Hallo Leute

ok

Works now....Will install and report back, anyone that installed see any improvements?

CC

well well I've been having issues w/ wifi where it will stop broadcasting my SSDI after 8 hours or so and need to reboot. I had this issue on .102 and decided to try toastman ver and still same issue. Any idea why this is happening?

Once i can't connect my AP via wifi but I can still connect to my router via wired from my computer. My router is working fine its just the WIFI is the issue after so many hours. But I noticed one thing while in the wifi advance settings, it won't display the settings; page is blank.

Status
Not open for further replies.