What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 3004.388.8_2 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any Javascript error when you open the browser console then reload the page?

Also go to the Tools -> Sysinfo page, and paste the content of the Features section.
No Javascript errors, but the console shows errors around accessibility and compatibility (screenshot attached). Not sure if it is relevant.

Contents of features section is pasted below
----------

11AX 2.4G 5G HTTPS PARENTAL2 WIFI_LOGO account_binding acl96 alexa am_addons amas app appnet bcmhnd bcmwifi betaupg bwdpi cake cfg_sync cfg_wps_btn cloudsync conndiag dhdlog dis11b diskutility dnsfilter dnspriv dnssec dualwan email eula ftp_ssl hdspindown hnd_ax_675x ifttt igd2 iperf3 ipsec_srv ipv6 ipv6pt letsencrypt loclist manual_stb mbo media modem movistarTriple mssid mumimo nandflash netool nfsd no_finiwl ntpd ocnvc ofdma ookla openvpnd pptpd printer proxysta psta pwrctrl realip reboot_schedule repeater rrsut s46 smart_connect ssh stainfo switchctrl tcode timemachine tor usbX1 usb_bk user_low_rssi usericon utf8_ssid vpnc webdav wifi2017 wireguard wl6 wpa3 wrs_wbl

Attachments

• Console.jpg
    Console.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 72
  • Console2.jpg
    Console2.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 68
  • 1722097393163.png
    1722097393163.png
    483.4 KB · Views: 70
Contents of features section is pasted below
Thanks. The "merlinupdate" functionality is missing, so that would be an issue specific to the RT-AX58U. Shouldn't be a problem to fix this for the next release.

Before I posted I had already tried it this way on my AX16000 but it wasn't working until I did /24. I will check again and confirm and let you know.

Edit: Confirmed, doesn't work unless you specify the whole subnet. I double-checked it by creating a single rule for my PC and it worked so it's all or nothing at this point. Bug?
If you specify a subnet, then it means your whole network is going to be routed through the WAN, and not go through the VPN. So, the root issue you are experiencing is rather with the VPN tunnel itself not working properly.

If you specify a subnet, then it means your whole network is going to be routed through the WAN, and not go through the VPN. So, the root issue you are experiencing is rather with the VPN tunnel itself not working properly.
Why would this be the case? My VPN isn't even enabled. That's why I asked you if this behavior persists while the VPN client is configured but not turned on. If I turn the VPN on, it works fine and routes traffic normally through the tunnel.

Before I posted I had already tried it this way on my AX16000 but it wasn't working until I did /24. I will check again and confirm and let you know.

Edit: Confirmed, doesn't work unless you specify the whole subnet. I double-checked it by creating a single rule for my PC and it worked so it's all or nothing at this point. Bug?
Check DNSleaktest with "Accept DNS Configuration" set to exclusive and see which DNS server(s) you're using. When tunneling through VPN you should see the DNS server address(es) from your VPN provider. If not, you're routing through your ISP (WAN).

Last edited:
RT-AX86 Pro. I have upgraded, but I lost internet connection (wan). Even though the router web interface doesn't say anything about that. Phone reboot and router reboot didn't help. The mobile phone is saying: "no internet connection".

Downgraded back to the previous version. It doesn't have such an issue.
I have only Diversion and Skynet add-ons.

@RMerlin, is this true even if the client is disabled? I have tried adding the router IP through the WAN but it's still not letting any traffic through when the VPN client is not enabled. What's the trick here? Am I missing something?

Did a dirty upgrade from 7 to 8 and everything is fine and the traffic block is probably due to the change log, I guess, I'll figure it out sooner or later.

Edit: Never mind, I forgot the /24 next to the router IP and that fixed it. Note to all, if you have a VPN client setup and even if it is not in use WITH the killswitch option, your traffic will be blocked after this upgrade by default. To fix this, just create a rule like this for the WAN interface under VPN Director:

Local IP
Your Router IP/24

You can leave the Remote IP field blank. That should do it.

This "fix" makes no sense. The whole point of the kill switch (at least w/ this new release) is to make it persistent, whether the tunnel fails w/ an active OpenVPN client, or the OpenVPN client is disabled (OFF). But if you add a rule like the following ...

192.168.1.0/24 <blank> WAN

... then you are effectively nullifying the intended behavior of the kill switch (assuming you want 192.168.1.0/24 routed through the VPN when it's active). You might as well NOT add the above rule and simply disable the kill switch each time you disable the OpenVPN client. At least that returns you (effectively) to the behavior of the kill switch in the prior release.

IOW, you're attempting to manage this change in the kill switch behavior via the VPN Director, when you should just manage it directly, via the kill switch. Just turn it OFF when the OpenVPN client isn't in use, and 192.168.1.0/24 will once again have access to the WAN. Bringing the VPN Director into the picture just complicates matters further. Because now you have to disable/delete the rule each time the OpenVPN client is active again. Just seems awkward to me.

P.S. The more I think about it, the more I wish the kill switch had options for both the current and prior behavior. IOW, let the user decide. Then you wouldn't need all this additional manipulation of the configuration, be it the OpenVPN client or VPN Director. I just think this is one of those situations where there are just as many who prefer the old behavior as new. So punt and let the user decide.

Last edited:
RT-AX86 Pro. I have upgraded, but I lost internet connection (wan). Even though the router web interface doesn't say anything about that. Phone reboot and router reboot didn't help. The mobile phone is saying: "no internet connection".
Read the changelog...

Reactions: Igs
The VPN director cannot route the router's internet traffic to VPN. However, the new kill switch is activated if the router's IP address is configured in the VPN director to use one of the VPN clients and that VPN client is somehow deactivated, preventing both the local devices from connecting the internet and the router. This must be what confuses casual users like me. Once we understand this change, we can rest assured that the new firmware will work almost flawlessly like its predecessors. Thank you very much for continuing to upgrade the firmware. 👏🙏 @RMerlin

The latest firmware has a DNS leak when using VPN - WireGuard Client. The following settings are used: WAN - Internet Connection DNS-over-TLS Profile. If you simply enable VPN - WireGuard Client, then all local clients receive DNS from WireGuard Client. Even if there are no VPN Director rules. This should not happen. I installed the firmware with a full reset and manual settings.
Снимок экрана 2024-07-28 170127.png
Снимок экрана 2024-07-28 170308.png
Снимок экрана 2024-07-28 170709.png

Last edited:
RT-AX68U, fw 3004.388.8
WebUI. Incorrect diagnostics of the WAN connection.
1722154025239.png

"Primary WAN status" contains the correct value.

Hi @RMerlin,

What about the New alpha 3004.388.8_1?

The change log only goes to 3004.388.8 not *_1

Whats fixed? I'm running 3004.388.8 smooth on my '88's (no Pro).

As always, thank you for the new release, much appreciated.
Regarding the rog version many don't want it or like it, but those who bought a router with that theme...well maybe they do like it and would like to use.
Understood that it involves more work, no need to tell that.
Just an opinion.
Thank you.🙏

Hi Merlin, I signed up just to thank you for your specific firmware for ASUS GT-AX6000 and to be able to enjoy these compilations when the brand stops updating these routers. Version 3004.388.8 is a shame that you couldn't include the ROG version, because I love the aesthetics of said firmware. And even more so when buying these more premium gamer routers. I hope you can add the next version please. As I said, thank you very much for your enormous work. Greetings. Spain.

Last edited:

Downgraded back to the previous version. It doesn't have such an issue.
I have only Diversion and Skynet add-ons.
No issues here with 388.8 on an AX86U Pro. Also added Diversion (with several added block lists) and Skynet. Using a USB2 SanDisk thumb drive for addons. I do not use VPN client on the router but do use VPN server. Have tested OpenVPN, Wireguard and InstantGuard.

I upgraded from the 388.8 beta 1 which was installed over Asus 3006-102-34313. I performed a factory reset with initialize and manually configured Merlin.

Actually, I upgraded from the 388.8 beta 1 from 200 miles away over VPN with no issues.

My AX86U was updated to 388.8 firmware on July 24th and restored to factory settings. I set the router's options entirely manually.
Today I noticed that there are 12394 lines in System Log . Previously there are only about 4700 lines in System Log in 388.7, and the older content will gradually disappear. Now the first line of the System Log is what happens after resetting the router : May 5 05:05:15 syslogd started: BusyBox v1.25.1 ....
If these System Log are not automatically cleaned up, won't it fill up the JFFS partition?

@RMerlin Has the new version modified System Log? Thank you.

No. 388.8 is the same GPL code from all the way back to January 388_24353 nothing has changed.
I know the GPL version has not changed. I want to know why System Log is not cleaned up automatically.

Status
Not open for further replies.