What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 3004.388.8_2 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It depends on the size of the syslog.log file, not the number of lines. How large are your log files?
I saved a log on July 21 (388.7). It was 469 KB.
Just now I saved a log file (388.8). It is 983 KB.

@RMerlin Has the new version modified System Log? Thank you.
The logfile is not pruned. It's instead rotated once it reaches 512 KB. That has always been the case (tho the max logsize might have changed at some point, I didn't keep track of it).

I saved a log on July 21 (388.7). It was 469 KB.
Just now I saved a log file (388.8). It is 983 KB.
Which is still below the limit of 512 KB * 2 logfiles.

Can you show:
Code:
ps ww | grep syslog
ls -l /jffs/syslog.log* /tmp/syslog.log*
Code:
Morpheus@AX86Umor:/tmp/home/root# ps ww | grep syslog
 1429 Morpheus  3424 S    /sbin/syslogd -m 0 -S -O /tmp/syslog.log -s 512 -l 7
27169 Morpheus  3424 S    grep syslog
Morpheus@AX86Umor:/tmp/home/root# ls -l /jffs/syslog.log* /tmp/syslog.log*
-rw-rw-rw-    1 Morpheus root        485256 Jul 29 01:54 /jffs/syslog.log
-rw-rw-rw-    1 Morpheus root        524296 Jul 29 01:54 /jffs/syslog.log-1
-rw-rw-rw-    1 Morpheus root        485426 Jul 29 02:08 /tmp/syslog.log
-rw-rw-rw-    1 Morpheus root        524296 May  5  2018 /tmp/syslog.log-1
Morpheus@AX86Umor:/tmp/home/root#

Code:
Morpheus@AX86Umor:/tmp/home/root# ps ww | grep syslog
 1429 Morpheus  3424 S    /sbin/syslogd -m 0 -S -O /tmp/syslog.log -s 512 -l 7
27169 Morpheus  3424 S    grep syslog
Morpheus@AX86Umor:/tmp/home/root# ls -l /jffs/syslog.log* /tmp/syslog.log*
-rw-rw-rw-    1 Morpheus root        485256 Jul 29 01:54 /jffs/syslog.log
-rw-rw-rw-    1 Morpheus root        524296 Jul 29 01:54 /jffs/syslog.log-1
-rw-rw-rw-    1 Morpheus root        485426 Jul 29 02:08 /tmp/syslog.log
-rw-rw-rw-    1 Morpheus root        524296 May  5  2018 /tmp/syslog.log-1
Morpheus@AX86Umor:/tmp/home/root#
Ok, that seems fine but it looks like you must have increased the log_size nvram variable from default 256 to 512?

EDIT: or it doubled the size based on available RAM.

Last edited:
Ok, that seems fine but it looks like you must have increased the log_size nvram variable from default 256 to 512?

EDIT: or it doubled the size based on available RAM.
I'm confused why I have to modify the NVRAM variable. What will happen if I don't modify it? If I have to modify it, what should I do?

Dirty upgrade of 4 x RT-AX86U to latest firmware. All is well so far! THANKS so MUCH!

Ok, that seems fine
He's seeing a larger than 512 KB file because he's downloading from the webui. So, both files are concatenated together.

21 hours up and running. Everything is stable and working as intended. Thank you @RMerlin

Replaced my venerable old RT-AC68U with a brand spankin' new RT-AX86U Pro. Immediately loaded it up with RMerlin 3004.388.8. Everything up and running well with no apparent issues whatsoever. As always, thanks RMerlin!

Upgraded to 388.8 on an AX86U Pro and have none of the issues I posted about here when I was on 388.7.

My trouble devices work just fine on 388.8 without any of the suggested changes from the above post. I guess there were some issues with 388.7.

Interesting issue I have. To be able to get my vpn client working, as I see as correct. I have to redirect all traffic through the vpn director, then I change it to redirect yes (all). It then works correctly, however when it reboots I have to change to redirect all through vpn director, then change it redirect yes (all), then it starts working again.

Note: when it redirect traffic through vpn director, I am assigned my vpn provider ip, however my ISP ip is what visible, when I check to see what is visible dns leak testing.
the images are after restart and my current settings. syslog after restart

Attachments

• Asus1.png
    Asus1.png
    161.4 KB · Views: 53
  • Asus2a.png
    Asus2a.png
    141.7 KB · Views: 52
  • Asus3a.png
    Asus3a.png
    105 KB · Views: 52
Interesting issue I have. To be able to get my vpn client working, as I see as correct. I have to redirect all traffic through the vpn director, then I change it to redirect yes (all). It then works correctly, however when it reboots I have to change to redirect all through vpn director, then change it redirect yes (all), then it starts working again.

Note: when it redirect traffic through vpn director, I am assigned my vpn provider ip, however my ISP ip is what visible, when I check to see what is visible dns leak testing.
the images are after restart and my current settings. syslog after restart

I don't really understand the problem here. You mention having to use the VPN Director before NOT having to use it (i.e., Yes (all)), but don't mention *how* you have the VPN Director actually configured.

Since you're using OpenVPN client #4 in your posted images, it's NOT clear if perhaps you have other OpenVPN clients active at the same time, and how they might be configured. Even if these other OpenVPN clients are NOT active, given how the kill switch now works (i.e., it's persistent even if a given OpenVPN client is disabled/OFF), it *might* affect other active OpenVPN clients.

A common mistake is to specify things you do NOT need in custom config. Many times the VPN provider will either instruct you explicitly to include them, or they may be part of a provided config file you've imported. Any directives the router does NOT need from the config file to configure the GUI are usually just dumped into custom config. But sometimes that can create conflicts, as it's quite rare for anything else to be required except that which completes the GUI itself. You're more likely to create problems than solve them when you have anything in the custom config field.

It appears you're using NordVPN, which is my own VPN provider. I happen to be using DD-WRT, NOT Merlin, and fwiw, I have NONE of those things in my own custom config field (what DD-WRT calls Additional Config). I'm not saying any of those directives is causing your current problems, but if you can simplify the configuration, so much the better, just in case it is.

P.S. This issue rightly belongs in its own thread, like any other issue involving the firmware.

Last edited:
RT-AX68U dirty upgrade from 3004.388.7_0 up to 3004.388.8_0 succeeded with lost internet connection to ISP. Same as it was with 3004.388.8_beta. Got to roll back to 3004.388.7_0. Connection to ISP restored without doing any adjustments. Got "What's new" file with VPN kill switch note. My VPN client is set up, but not turned ON. Could that be the failure reason?

Status
Not open for further replies.