What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 3004.388.8_2 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Rog Rapture GT-AX6000, Very sad that there is NO ROG version. Will there be a problem if I update from 388.7 rog to 388.8 no Rog? If I do, I have read that afterwards, it is recommended flushing the cache. How can I flush the cache? Sorry but I don't know how to do it.

If you want ROG use Asus stock firmware. It's really that simple.

in fact that is the only way to access it since it is behind cgnat!
Bit OT sorry, but have you looked at running tailscale on a device attached to your remote network (doesn’t have to be on the router, although that’s what I do, using TAILMON), then have that device running tailscale advertise as a subnet router? You can then VPN in from anywhere. That’s how I got past CGNAT and I do not open the Router to the WAN per the GUI setting.

Last edited:
Protocol udp6 on the server? I don't even think that's supported. And the client is using udp (which could be either udp4 or udp6). Are you actually using udp6 on your remote WAN?
Actually, i have disabled the IPv6 server mode in the GUI,
even "proto udp6" is deployed, then it listens on IPv6 and IPv4 UDP, isn't it?

IIRC, if you specify udp, then it can be either udp4 or udp6. But if you specify udp4 or udp6, then it's those specific protocols only.

I would also NOT push the 192.168.15.0 255.255.255.0 route to the client. That instructs the client to route that network over the tunnel. But in this case, that's the client's *local* IP network! So it makes no sense. Supposedly OpenVPN is intelligent enough to recognize this based on the CN (Common Name) and NOT push it, but I think it best to not push anyway.

If you want ROG use Asus stock firmware. It's really that simple.
If I wanted to use the stock Asus firmware I wouldn't be writing here. And by the way, what is very simple is to answer the questions I asked before: Will there be a problem if I update from 388.7 rog to 388.8 no Rog? How can I flush the router cache? Thank you.

If I wanted to use the stock Asus firmware I wouldn't be writing here. And by the way, what is very simple is to answer the questions I asked before: Will there be a problem if I update from 388.7 rog to 388.8 no Rog? How can I flush the router cache? Thank you.

If it were me i would do a factory reset and reconfigure to be sure.

I'm having trouble with older iOS devices not reconnecting after the Asus WiFi radios have been turned off and back on. My router is RT-AX86U Pro.

(Note that this is not necessarily a regression in 3004-388-8)
I first noticed it last week when I upgraded from 388.4 to 388.7. I reverted to 388.4 to confirm that the devices do reconnect automatically with that version, and they do. Then I saw that this version had been released, so decided to try it.

I have two iPhone 4S devices that I use for utility devices (one app in particular) in different rooms. According to Apple, the 4S has
  • 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi (802.11n 2.4GHz only)
I have family members who are sensitive to EMFs so I have scripts that shut down WiFi at bedtime and turn it back on a couple of hours before normal wakeup time. It's a bit of a pain that these phones don't come back online in the morning. Some of my newer iOS devices have experienced similar issues, but not as clear-cut as the 4S. In particular, my main iPhone 11 Pro seems to work better in this regard on 388.8 than it did on 388.7.

I would also NOT push the 192.168.15.0 255.255.255.0 route to the client. That instructs the client to route that network over the tunnel. But in this case, that's the client's *local* IP network! So it makes no sense. Supposedly OpenVPN is intelligent enough to recognize this based on the CN (Common Name) and NOT push it, but I think it best to not push anyway.
thank you for your comment,

I changed it to "Not push", but no improvement.

I don't think my issue is caused by OpenVPN itself.
According to the changelog of v388.8, there was no change to the openvpn version, the version is same as v388.7?
And my VPN scenario/configuration works fine with v388.7.

So strange.

I'm having trouble with older iOS devices not reconnecting after the Asus WiFi radios have been turned off and back on. My router is RT-AX86U Pro.

(Note that this is not necessarily a regression in 3004-388-8)
I first noticed it last week when I upgraded from 388.4 to 388.7. I reverted to 388.4 to confirm that the devices do reconnect automatically with that version, and they do. Then I saw that this version had been released, so decided to try it.

I have two iPhone 4S devices that I use for utility devices (one app in particular) in different rooms. According to Apple, the 4S has
  • 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi (802.11n 2.4GHz only)
I have family members who are sensitive to EMFs so I have scripts that shut down WiFi at bedtime and turn it back on a couple of hours before normal wakeup time. It's a bit of a pain that these phones don't come back online in the morning. Some of my newer iOS devices have experienced similar issues, but not as clear-cut as the 4S. In particular, my main iPhone 11 Pro seems to work better in this regard on 388.8 than it did on 388.7.
Are you using just WPA2-Personal? Some older iOS devices do not like WPA2/WPA3-Personal.

I have a Rog Rapture GT-AX6000, Very sad that there is NO ROG version. Will there be a problem if I update from 388.7 rog to 388.8 no Rog? If I do, I have read that afterwards, it is recommended flushing the cache. How can I flush the cache? Sorry but I don't know how to do it.
You can flash from asuswrt-merlin 388.7 ROG version to 388.8 non ROG without issues. As always if you noticed any hiccups it's recommended you factory reset and setup from scratch.

RMerlin obviously meant flushing the browser cache, with CTRL-F5...

Also dont take it wrong, but if you dont yet know something that basic; flashing a modified FW to your router might have no point for you and even be dangerous (bricking it or just misconfiguring it etc.)?

Last edited:
Probably a stupid question but, is this ok on a AX86U Non Pro model?

Probably a stupid question but, is this ok on a AX86U Non Pro model?
Sure. You should have no issues. But, if you have an older version installed a factory reset and reconfigure may be in order.

I can assure you that I've been using this dongle with Merlin firmware since mid 2022 without problems. The issue started when I installed 388.6, and immediately went away after I reverted back to 388.5. I've tried each beta and release since the issue started, but always have to revert back to 388.5 to be able to use my WAN fallback because of this problem.
I've also reported this a little over 6 months ago and I wasn't the only one with this issue back then: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asuswrt-merlin-3004-388-6-is-now-available.88559/post-889357

I am still able to use this dongle today, both in Asus's latest stock firmware as wrt-Merlin 388.5, just not in newer wrt-Merlin versions.
Does this dongle include an sdcard slot? Is there anything in it?

Thanks @RMerlin no fanciful display like the ROG but still works like wonder. And also for remembering EOL AX56U, deeply appreciated.

Hi guys,

Comparing (very raw) the 2 logs from both 7 and 8 firmware, is there any hint on this ?

1721806599388.png

On the left is the latest one, on the right is the one actually working.

Thanks !

Dirty upgrade from 3004.388.8 beta. Everything running smooth.
No messages from kernel: CPU: 2 PID: 7392 Comm: dnsmasq Tainted: P O 4.19.183

Thanks Merlin!

Status
Not open for further replies.