What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 3004.388.8_2 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So now that was the problem again. As seen in the log file.

I've now given a different 5ghz password again for testing so that whatever I try, she can't dial in
I'm not sure what this log file is meant to be showing us. The beginning is the same as the previous log file with the device switching between the main 2.4GHz (eth6) and the guest 2.4GHz (wl0.1). Then at 13:51:37 you reconfigure the Wi-Fi in some way and the device is not seen in the remaining three minutes of the log.

Did you reboot
reboot the router then tried updating to 388.8_2 again, still got same error. After this message I reboot the router firmware stays as old version (388.7)

fw.jpg

Anyone got GT-AXE16000 updated to 388.8_2 ROG successfully?

I'm not sure what this log file is meant to be showing us. The beginning is the same as the previous log file with the device switching between the main 2.4GHz (eth6) and the guest 2.4GHz (wl0.1). Then at 13:51:37 you reconfigure the Wi-Fi in some way and the device is not seen in the remaining three minutes of the log.
At 1:51:37 p.m. I renamed WiFi 5ghz (as a test) so that no device can access it anymore. After that the error went away

Thanks you for this new version (388.8_2) which has been successfully updated on my AX88U.
A WPS reset was subsequently performed, along with a manual reconfiguration of the settings to avoid any problems.
Everything works perfectly.

Remember : before using VPN, don't forget to link the router's lan IP address to the WAN in VPNDirector, so you don't lose control of the web interface.

Best regards to Merlin and the developers.

Last edited:
I think I was the first person to download the new version for the GT-AX6000. Looking at the logs I had a single kernel panic immediately after the update, but everything appears to be fine.
*I've been using my UASP USB SSD for the last month or so to see if the panic issue with these is fixed - which I think it is....

I'd like to ask you a quick question.
After running netstat to check that my DNS-OVER-TLS requests go through port 853 (it works well), I noticed that there were entries like "127.0.1.1:53".
Can you explain what this is and if it's normal ?
1722619758894.png

I'd like to ask you a quick question.
After running netstat to check that my DNS-OVER-TLS requests go through port 853 (it works well), I noticed that there were entries like "127.0.1.1:53".
Can you explain what this is and if it's normal ?
View attachment 60703

It would help provide clarification (if only for your own benefit) if you disabled "Don't resolve names". In fact, the GUI is awful when you want to know what's really going on. As configured, there are no names, no servers specified, only loopback IPs, etc. It just makes it difficult to understand what's happening when you've removed so much context.

What I suggest is avoiding the GUI and going straight to the horse's mouth w/ ssh.

Code:
netstat -tupln

You'll probably be able to answer your own questions.

All that said, those particular lines are probably the router's DNS server reaching out to Stubby (DNS over TLS) on 127.0.1.1:53 for public name resolution.

It would help provide clarification (if only for your own benefit) if you disabled "Don't resolve names". In fact, the GUI is awful when you want to know what's really going on. As configured, there are no names, no servers specified, only loopback IPs, etc. It just makes it difficult to understand what's happening when you've removed so much context.

What I suggest is avoiding the GUI and going straight to the horse's mouth w/ ssh.

Code:
netstat -tupln

You'll probably be able to answer your own questions.

All that said, those particular lines are probably the router's DNS server reaching out to Stubby (DNS over TLS) on 127.0.1.1:53 for public name resolution.
Once again, thank you for these precise explanations. It's true that the display on this GUI isn't great.
In fact, by unchecking the "Don't resolve names" box, it's already clearer.
I'll have to test your Putty command if the result display is even clearer.

So I have to conclude that the line 127.0.1.1:53 is a normal DNS over TLS operation. I'll sleep better tonight.

One last thing, I had already seen with a netstat (on an earlier version of Merlin) a line "127.0.0.1:8888" and I had never understood what it corresponded to either. Do you have an explanation ?

One last thing, I had already seen with a netstat (on an earlier version of Merlin) a line "127.0.0.1:8888" and I had never understood what it corresponded to either. Do you have an explanation ?

No idea. It is a loopback IP, so it's an internal process. Could be AiCloud, Transmission, something from the numerous add-on, etc.

No idea. It is a loopback IP, so it's an internal process. Could be AiCloud, Transmission, something from the numerous add-on, etc.
Okay, I understand, so there's nothing to worry about. Especially since 127.0.0.1:8888 doesn't appear anymore.

Thanks again for the request "127.0.1.1:53" if it's normal, that's reassuring.

Initially, I made a dirty upgrade on my RT-AX86U from 3004.388.7 to 3004.388.8

On first use of 3004.388.8, I had zero problems, apart from a temporary DDNS connection issue. None of my DDNS settings had been changed and although my No-IP DDNS had connected, my asuscomm.com DDNS hadn't and wouldn't. Re-starting the DDNS Client didn't resolve this, but using the "Apply" button on the WAN-DDNS page (without making any changes and ignoring the warning telling me this) did, immediately. This was just re-applying the existing DDNS config, but I didn't see that the initial DDNS connection issue warranted any kind of investigation, as it was solved and hasn't re-occurred ever since (re-boots/further upgrade).

Then, I made another dirty upgrade on my RT-AX86U from 3004.388.8 to 3004.388.8_2

Absolutely no issues at all this time and that's after the customary re-boot after an hour's initial use. It's all good for me, the router and custom configs that I currently use. Thanks again @RMerlin Your considerable efforts are always much appreciated.

Last edited:
Do you use Airdroid on a android phone? I know it uses port 8888

I don't really understand the problem here. You mention having to use the VPN Director before NOT having to use it (i.e., Yes (all)), but don't mention *how* you have the VPN Director actually configured.

Since you're using OpenVPN client #4 in your posted images, it's NOT clear if perhaps you have other OpenVPN clients active at the same time, and how they might be configured. Even if these other OpenVPN clients are NOT active, given how the kill switch now works (i.e., it's persistent even if a given OpenVPN client is disabled/OFF), it *might* affect other active OpenVPN clients.

A common mistake is to specify things you do NOT need in custom config. Many times the VPN provider will either instruct you explicitly to include them, or they may be part of a provided config file you've imported. Any directives the router does NOT need from the config file to configure the GUI are usually just dumped into custom config. But sometimes that can create conflicts, as it's quite rare for anything else to be required except that which completes the GUI itself. You're more likely to create problems than solve them when you have anything in the custom config field.

It appears you're using NordVPN, which is my own VPN provider. I happen to be using DD-WRT, NOT Merlin, and fwiw, I have NONE of those things in my own custom config field (what DD-WRT calls Additional Config). I'm not saying any of those directives is causing your current problems, but if you can simplify the configuration, so much the better, just in case it is.

P.S. This issue rightly belongs in its own thread, like any other issue involving the firmware.
Hi sorry for the late reply, I posted to this thread, because the issue is only present after upgrading to 3004.388.8. My setup works with 3004.388.7. It is difficult to explain, I am really green when it comes to setting up VPN client. I Don’t use the vpn director, I do have 5 clients setup (2 Nord and 3 Express VPN), and each one works using 3004.388.7. I only have one client enabled at a time. When I upgraded to 3004.388.8, none of my clients would work, getting desperate I just changed the setting redirect internet traffic through tunnel to VPN DIRECTOR (policy rules) and then I change it back to setting Yes (all) and my client would then work, however when I restart the router, the vpn client stops working, and then I have to repeat the above for the vpn client to work again. I rolled back to 3004.388.7 and I don’t have any issues or rebooting issues with 3004.388.7. I figured it has something to do with the upgrade or a configuration I have that is causing the issue with the upgrade. Hope the above makes since thanks. I just upgraded to 3004.388.8_2, which had the yes (all). Everything is working and worked after reboot thanks

Attachments

• IMG_8858.jpeg
    IMG_8858.jpeg
    72.1 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
For me, Merlin 3004.388.8_2 firmware works almost perfectly in my use case scenario.👌💪👏👍
My GT-AX6000 with a fresh install and a couple of hardware resets has not been feeling the love from this version unfortunately. I also got the sense from some of the responses here that I am perhaps not alone. Just cannot put my finger on the cause of brief internet disconnects and the logs have not been giving me any clues.

Last edited:
Upgraded yesterday my AX88U- > AX88U Pro.

Upgraded directly to 388.8_2 without any issue.
After that, made a factory reset to start fresh.

Will let that settle for 24h, and will report back.
So far, no issues reported.

Thank you, as usual!

Last edited:
Didn't notice the new release until this morning... upgrading all gear now.

Let's GO!

Status
Not open for further replies.