What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 3006.102.2 Beta is now available for Wifi 7 devices

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Staff member
Asuswrt-Merlin 3006.102.2 Beta is now available for Wifi 7 devices. The focus of this release is addressing a few issues present in 3006.102.1, as well as introducing support for two new Wifi 7 devices.

Since the release of updated 3006 GPLs is being constantly delayed, I am adding support for the RT-BE88U and RT-BE86U using older, separate GPLs for each of these two models. That means that these two may be slightly different from other models in terms of features or bugs. Any fix to these will have to wait until Asus provides updated GPLs that covers all Wifi 7 models.

In addition to adding these two new models, this release also adjusts the way the VPN killswitch works. Now, the killswitch will only activate itself if the client itself is also enabled.

Code:
3006.102.2 (xx-xxx-xxxx)
  - NEW: Added support for RT-BE88U (based on GPL 3.0.0.6.102_33921)
  - NEW: Added support for RT-BE86U (based on GPL 3.0.0.6.102_36216)
  - NEW: Added mDNS support to the router's local name resolution
         (nss).
  - UPDATED: OpenVPN to 2.6.12.
  - CHANGED: Support importing Wireguard config files that
             contain multiple AllowedIPs, Address or DNS
             declarations.
  - CHANGED: Re-added firmware version display on Sysinfo page
             (as you can't copy the version string from the
             header banner, this one can be).
  - CHANGED: VPN killswitch will now only be active if the
             VPN client itself is enabled.  If you stop/start
             the client yourself over SSH, you need to also
             update the enabled/disabled nvram setting.
  - CHANGED: Display public IP address for Wireguard clients.
  - FIXED: Generated web certificate wasn't using the FQDN
           for Namecheap DDNS users.
  - FIXED: DNSDirector and Tor pages would fail to properly load
           in some environment.
  - FIXED: CVE-2024-2511, CVE-2024-4741, CVE-2024-5535 &
           Implicit rejection for RSA PKCS#1 in openssl
           (backport from Ubuntu by RSDNTWK)
  - FIXED: UPnP options were missing on WAN page for models
           with multiservice WAN support.
  - FIXED: Guest Network table would still be shown on the
           DNSDIrector page if DNSDirector isn't enabled.
  - FIXED: VPN Fusion-related popup showing when editing
           an existing DHCP reservation - removed.
  - FIXED: 320 MHz chanspec would show as 160 on the Wifi
           icon status.
  - FIXED: Wifi icon status not properly shown on quad-band
           Wifi 7 models.
  - FIXED: DNS over TLS broken if IoT Guest Network (or other
           Guest Network sharing existing VLAN) is disabled.

Please keep posts focused on this beta release. Off-topic posts will be ignored, moved or deleted, depending on my mood at the time.

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.

Reserved post.

Great. Flashed my BE88U from the alpha. I expect the differences from the alpha to be close to none, at least in the functionality.
Saw that the new stock firmware is out, but I guess they are a bit slower to release the GPL.

Anyone know when GNUTON will roughly update the GT-BE98? I ask because current beta will not apply to the BE98 hardware version2 which has been shipping as replacement stock earlier in 2024. You also cannot flash back to an earlier stock firmware to try the GNUTON's current beta, as ASUSWRT complains it is unsuccessful.

Anyone know when GNUTON will roughly update the GT-BE98? I ask because current beta will not apply to the BE98 hardware version2 which has been shipping as replacement stock earlier in 2024. You also cannot flash back to an earlier stock firmware to try the GNUTON's current beta, as ASUSWRT complains it is unsuccessful.
I'm following suit! The GT98 Pro can't be found in Europe?

No. Merlin said the AX WiFi 6 models are a low priority.
True for 3006 codebase, but @RMerlin has stated that he will be working on updates to 388 codebase next (another thread addressed this).

I just installed 3006.102.2_beta1 everything work perfectly.

The only thing I saw that seems weird is now the SFP+ port is 2.5gb in the interface using the stock asus (version 3.0.0.6.102_33928) it was working at 10 gbps

1728824983044.png

here is the eth9 tool of the sfp+
1728825016088.png

I'm using a WAS-110 SFP+ adapter that should sync at 10gbps.

I didn't try to reboot the router yet as the kids are using internet but i will try to reboot it later maybe it is just a glitch.

Last edited:
Updated GT-BE98 Pro last evening from latest alpha. Everything working as expected so far...

Rebooted the router and it back at 10gbps it was probably a glitch then
View attachment 61923
Typically, following a firmware update, a router reboot is in order to make sure that everything is in order — if you have AiMesh node(s), make that a Reboot System to reboot primary router and all connected nodes.

Please.
How check hardware version?

Time to switch the competition then.
Most of the competition will offer fewer features than Asuswrt 4.0 already offers.

Expensive paper weight.
Why? These routers still do everything they used to do when you bought them, right? They didn`t lose any of the features that were included when you bought yours?

Just another data point:

Beta 1 appeas to be running without issue on my RT-BE88U.

The only issue that I currently have with this router (which is present with both the latest ASUS firmware build 33928 and with asuswrt-merlin 3006.102.2_beta1) is that, after a reboot of the router, I have to turn the 5GHz WiFi radio off and then back on again before the android devices (2 x Pixel 6, 1 x Pixel 7, 1 x Samsung M30, 1 x Lenovo P11Pro, 1 x Pixel C) in this household will connect.

Fortunately, at least with ASUS firmware, the router appears to be pretty stable. I have only had asuswrt-merlin running for 3 hours - so perhaps a little too early to say anything about stability as yet - but based on previous experience with other routers and other versions of asuswrt-merlin (even Beta's), I don't expect it to be worse than stock.