What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 374.41 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I am asking because I don't recognize the reference to "374_5047 GPL."

I think that means that Merlin built 374.41 from the Asus code of there build 374.5047. I do believe when Merlin releases the next build it will be based on Asus 374.5656 code.

I am no expert here so if i am wrong someone please correct me..

Last edited:
I think that means that Merlin built 374.41 from the Asus code of there build 374.5047. I do believe when Merlin releases the next build it will be based on Asus 374.5656 code.

I am no expert here so if i am wrong someone please correct me..

Is ASUS 374.5517 (RT-N66u) incorporated in Merlin 374-41 ?

Is ASUS 374.5517 (RT-N66u) incorporated in Merlin 374-41 ?

Not sure on the N66 because Merlin is using a different wireless driver (EM) for that router to improve range. Again i am no expert just going by what i read here in the forums.

I installed .41 over .40 and the Guest Login for Samba is turned off.
I can't map any Asus Samba shares for the life of me in Windows 7. I have drives from both my NAS units (D-Link & QNAP) mapped but can not get the RT-AC66U Samba shares to map.

It asks for a User name and Password and I created a new user "mapshare" with a new password, changed all shares to RW access and Windows will not accept it. I have "Maximum number of concurrent connections" set at 5 for USB Disks.

Under System Log it's showing as active and I can access the maps if Guest Access is switched to on.

So the question is:
When asked by Windows 7 for the Username and Password, how should you enter the username with the correct Domain?
  • RT-AC66U\mapshare
  • WORKGROUP\mapshare
  • \mapshare
  • mapshare

From /etc/smb.conf
[global]
workgroup = WORKGROUP
netbios name = RT-AC66U
server string = RT-AC66U

I had to change the workgroup in the router to the same workgroup as in my Win7 PC.

When Windows prompts for user id and password to access the shared folder, the user id is "mapshare".

I installed .41 over .40 and the Guest Login for Samba is turned off.
I can't map any Asus Samba shares for the life of me in Windows 7. I have drives from both my NAS units (D-Link & QNAP) mapped but can not get the RT-AC66U Samba shares to map.

It asks for a User name and Password and I created a new user "mapshare" with a new password, changed all shares to RW access and Windows will not accept it. I have "Maximum number of concurrent connections" set at 5 for USB Disks.

Under System Log it's showing as active and I can access the maps if Guest Access is switched to on.

So the question is:
When asked by Windows 7 for the Username and Password, how should you enter the username with the correct Domain?
  • RT-AC66U\mapshare
  • WORKGROUP\mapshare
  • \mapshare
  • mapshare

From /etc/smb.conf

I had to change the workgroup in the router to the same workgroup as in my Win7 PC.

When Windows prompts for user id and password to access the shared folder, the user id is "mapshare".

*** EDIT ***
Got it to work by deleting my network driver and re-installing. Don't know what settings were not accurate.
*** /EDIT ***

All my devices are on "WORKGROUP" and so is the Asus RT-AC66U. Just to double check I changed it to "WORKGROUP2", Applied, and changed it to "WORKGROUP" (copied and pasted from Windows 7 settings).

In system log I get the following to verify:
"Samba name server RT-AC66U is now a local master browser for workgroup WORKGROUP on subnet 192.168.1.1"

When I get the login prompt, the Domain is my Windows 7 computer name. I even changed the Workgroup to this name and still no go.

Everything works if I allow Guest login.

Last edited:
MINIDLNA and SAMBA share is buggy in latest release, rolled back to 374.40, everything works out of the box again :)

MINIDLNA and SAMBA share is buggy in latest release, rolled back to 374.40, everything works out of the box again :)

What do you mean saying "buggy" about SAMBA share? I never noticed any issues yet.

Your problem lies elsewhere, not with samba.

Yes that might be so....

All I am saying is MiniDLNA and SAMBA is unstable with my setup running 374.41, rolled back to 374.40, and everything works and is stable again.

I am sure Merlin will get it fixed in upcoming releases, so us non Linux savy people can run further upgrades of SAMBA and MiniDLNA :)

Have a nice day!

Yes that might be so....

All I am saying is MiniDLNA and SAMBA is unstable with my setup running 374.41, rolled back to 374.40, and everything works and is stable again.

I am sure Merlin will get it fixed in upcoming releases, so us non Linux savy people can run further upgrades of SAMBA and MiniDLNA :)

Have a nice day!

Hello all,

Greetings!!
I am a new member on this forum but have used DDWRT firmware for a number of years on Cisco and Linksys routers and understand the value of custom firmware... so first - Thank You Merlin.

I have recently purchased the AC68U and uploaded the latest firmware - 374.41

I have connected TWO Seagate USB Drives to the router:
(1) Drive 1 - USB 3.0 connected to USB 3.0 port - 4TB (Seagate Expansion 4TB Desktop External Hard Drive USB 3.0 (STBV4000100))

(2) Drive 2 - USB 2.0 connected to USB 2.0 port - 320GB (Seagate)

As to the poster above me, I am having stability issues on file share as well but ONLY on the 4TB drive.
The drive loads randomly. At the times when it does not load, the router hangs and wifi does not come on. In fact the LAN traffic is also unavailable.

I think I have done the upgrade for firm ware correctly.
To that point I did a complete reset using the WPS button - holding for 5 seconds during and after power on... but that has not helped.

Any thoughts, on what might be going on here?

TIA.

Here is what I'm seeing on my RT-AC68U:

logging has a broken setting I think.

"Logged packets type" will only be set to Dropped, when I try to set it to Both. Confirmed fixed when I revert to ASUS 5047.

Can't reproduce this issue here, it gets properly set to Both, and I see both dropped and accepted packets in Syslog.

I have a few services running on an internal server (192.168.1.150) on port 4040, 8080, 32400. They are port forwarded to that internal ip and works fine from the internet. If i try to reach the same services via the DNS name i use outside the network it just times out :(

I have a few services running on an internal server (192.168.1.150) on port 4040, 8080, 32400. They are port forwarded to that internal ip and works fine from the internet. If i try to reach the same services via the DNS name i use outside the network it just times out :(

You tested like this as example?
mydnsname.dyndns.org:4040

sorry. Something else must be wrong. right now its not even working from the outside. Ill report back when i figure out whats going on