What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 376.44 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Other Settings/TCP Setting shows odd value by default for TCP Timeout:established

I was finishing the configuration of my RT-AC787R today turning on the saving of the traffic history and saw something that didn't look right. If you look below the TCP Timeout Established is set to a rather large value after flashing the 376.44 release. Based on my research this value is the default for most kernel's and would leave the connection that didn't receive a FIN in the state for 5 days. This would lead to running out of connections if you were using say a bittorrent client. I have since set it to 1200 just to match the default.

TCP connections limit:300000

TCP Timeout: Established: 432000 Default: 1200

TCP Timeout: syn_sent: 120 Default: 120

TCP Timeout: syn_recv: 60 Default: 60

TCP Timeout: fin_wait: 120 Default: 120

TCP Timeout: time_wait: 120 Default: 120

TCP Timeout: close: 10 Default: 10

TCP Timeout: close_wait: 60 Default: 60

TCP Timeout: last_ack: 30 Default: 30

UDP Timeout: Assured: 180 Default: 180

UDP Timeout: Unreplied: 30 Default: 30

Manual DNS not farmed out by DHCPv6

There are annoyances with the new 376.44 but one snag I hit made me revert to 374.43. I have the AC68U setup with a IPv6 tunnel via tunnelbroker. I have discovered that the DHCPv6 on the 376.44 always broadcasts itself as the sole DNS server on the network, despite what is set manually in the config pages.

I have a synology unit functioning as a DHCP for IPv4, and also acting as a local DNS unit to resolve local server/appliances. The DHCPv6 on 376.44 insisting itself being the DNS server to the IPv6 clients despite what is being set in the config pages wreak havoc on this setup!

Is .41 better than .43?

In my testing, .41 is slightly better then .43. Give or take -3dbi.

Furthest part of the house using Samsung galaxy s4. 4 story townhouse.
Firmware .44
2.4ghz band, phone connects at 6mbps.
5ghz band, phone won't connect to router.

Firmware .41
2.4ghz band, phone connects at 39mbps
5ghz band, phone connects at 9mbps-19mbps.

Right next to router.
Firmware .44
2.4 GHz band, phone connects at 65mbps, with universal beamfoarming enabled I get 72mbps.
5ghz band, phone connects at 235mbps

Firmware .41
2.4 GHz, phone connects at 78 Mbps
5ghz, phone connects at 433mbps.

Last edited:
In my testing, .41 is slightly better then .43. Give or take -3dbi.

Furthest part of the house using Samsung galaxy s4. 4 story townhouse.
Firmware .44
2.4ghz band, phone connects at 6mbps.
5ghz band, phone won't connect to router.

Firmware .41
2.4ghz band, phone connects at 39mbps
5ghz band, phone connects at 9mbps-19mbps.

Right next to router.
Firmware .44
2.4 GHz band, phone connects at 65mbps, with universal beamfoarming enabled I get 72mbps.
5ghz band, phone connects at 235mbps

Firmware .41
2.4 GHz, phone connects at 78 Mbps
5ghz, phone connects at 433mbps.

KGB7 can you tell me if the wifi drivers used in .41 firmware is the same as the OLD wifi drivers Kong uses in his firmware?

KGB7 can you tell me if the wifi drivers used in .41 firmware is the same as the OLD wifi drivers Kong uses in his firmware?

I think its the same, I lost track of it over time. I stopped using ddwrt firmware few month ago, because it gave me less WiFi speed from 5 feet away from the router. About 2MB/s on 2.4ghz band. Kong might have made some improvements since then, but I havent had a chance to test it.

Tests were done using Dell laptop with Intel N2230 WiFi nic, win7 64bit.

Last edited:
I was just messing around a bit and suddenly a shirtload of extra settings appeared under wireless professional like beam forwarding or so and much much more and just as sudden these settings disappeared again.

I factory resetted but still these settings are gone but I think that when I refresh the page I can momentarily see them...

(rt-ac66u)

A lot of those settings aren't visible on the RT-AC66U because they aren't supported. You can potentially see them briefly as the page loads because the webui needs to hide them at page load, based on which model your router is.

I was finishing the configuration of my RT-AC787R today turning on the saving of the traffic history and saw something that didn't look right. If you look below the TCP Timeout Established is set to a rather large value after flashing the 376.44 release. Based on my research this value is the default for most kernel's and would leave the connection that didn't receive a FIN in the state for 5 days. This would lead to running out of connections if you were using say a bittorrent client. I have since set it to 1200 just to match the default.

TCP connections limit:300000

TCP Timeout: Established: 432000 Default: 1200

The default on ARM routers with kernel 2.6.36 is really 5 days (not sure why), while 1200 is the default for the older MIPS routers on kernel 2.6.22. I simply forgot to update that webui page to tell it that the RT-AC87 is having a 5 days default.

Got these entries in log:
Aug 7 06:43:48 kernel: eth1: received packet with own address as source address

So is this version better than 374.43? Seems that a lot of people having problems. I am using ac68u :)

I gave up and rolled back to 374.43
On second floor on my house i previously got signal level about -56...-60 dBm, while with 376.44 it is barely -70dBm.
It began with Beta 2, Beta 1 did not had such problem.
So far it looks like .43 is the best fw for RT-N66U

I did all factory defaults, resets etc.

RT-AC66U; Network map, .44 Merlin firmware

Wired clients behind a wireless media bridge (TP-LINK TP-WA890EA) are not displayed any more. Only the number of the clients is shown. Clicking on that field yields the message "no data in table"

BTW is it possible to import customized icons for the clients ? I miss icons for a network printer and a TV.

Aug 6 16:41:44 kernel: wlc_dump_aggfifo:
Aug 6 16:41:44 kernel: framerdy 0x10 bmccmd 4 framecnt 6
Aug 6 16:41:44 kernel: AQM agg params 0xfc0 maxlen hi/lo 0x0 0xffff minlen 0x0 adjlen 0x8
Aug 6 16:41:44 kernel: AQM agg results 0x8000 len hi/lo: 0x0 0x0 BAbitmap(0-3) 0 0 0 0

I keep getting this, what does it mean, notice sometimes the router reboots when this happens

Rolling back to .43 or will try official asus firmware. Fed up of the poor wireless 5ghz performance on the ac66u. It was fine for a day and then started to degrade.

Hi,
I am getting an older version string after the .44 release has been loaded and rebooted.

3.0.0.4.374.34_2

Have to ask the obvious question. Are you sure you downloaded the correct file. 374.34_2 is the first in the list.
Maybe an oops? ;)

--bill

So far it looks like .43 is the best fw for RT-N66U

On the other hand, I kept losing internet connectivity over WiFi with .43, and had reboots if I enabled IPv6 on .41, and I haven't seen either of those issues with .44. For me, range is fine and speeds are fine and it works more consistently with .44. Your Mileage May Vary.