What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 376.46 is out (RT-AC87 only)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Staff member
Hi guys,

As the RT-AC87 is about to become more widely available, I decided to publish this firmware release which contains the latest Quantenna wireless driver code (from Asus's 376_2061).

This release is *only* available for the RT-AC87, as the other changes aren't major enough to deserve a full release for all supported models (and also as I mentioned in a recent post, I would no longer guarantee that every new release would be made available simultaneously for all supported models to make it easier for me to manage releases).

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.

MD5 checksums:

Code:
98a538468212b5a7b1066c9c67ea2d75  image/RT-AC87U_3.0.0.4_376.46_0.trx

Did the update tonight....thanks for the quick update for the new wireless driver.

Hi guys,

As the RT-AC87 is about to become more widely available, I decided to publish this firmware release which contains the latest Quantenna wireless driver code (from Asus's 376_2061).

This release is *only* available for the RT-AC87, as the other changes aren't major enough to deserve a full release for all supported models (and also as I mentioned in a recent post, I would no longer guarantee that every new release would be made available simultaneously for all supported models to make it easier for me to manage releases).

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.

MD5 checksums:

Code:

Loaded and running perfectly so far! Thank you!

CC

Hi guys,

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.

MD5 checksums:

Code:

=====================
I bought the rt-ac87u the first week that it was available at BestBuy. The performance has improved with each successive firmware (stock and Merlin) - I installed this latest Merlin firmware yesterday and it has been running just fine. I was having some intermittent drops with wireless with previous firmware releases - I will monitor this with the new release - so far so good.. One thing I can say for sure about this firmware, at least for me, this is the first one that actually gives me IPV6. Another thing I would like to mention is that I live in a 4 story townhome. The router is in the basement and my pc is in the top floor - quite a challenge I think for wireless 5GHz. I am using an ASUS PCE-AC68 nic in my pc.. previously, with my rt-ac68 router the best 5GHz connection I could acheive was 702Mbps (just occasionally) - most of the time it connected in the 500-600Mbps range. When I switched to the rt-ac87 (original firmware) - I was disappointed to find that I got similar link rates as with the rt=ac68. However, with the latest (2061 stock and Merlin's latest) firmware I can happily say I am consistently getting 877Mbps - I doubt I can do much better than this given the distance between router and wireless nic. Merlin, please keep the great custom firmware coming!

Hi guys,

Can you tell us if the QOS is working now, or rather better compared to the primitive QOS on previous models?

Any tests to verify this?

All the reviews I've seen, including on this site, tend to harp on speed and throughput tests with a multiplicity of graphs, and if anything on QOS, they merely copy and paste the wonders of the new Asus Adaptive QOS as claimed by the manufacturer.

The same goes for the AiProtection feature. Any real-world tests done to back up the claims of the manufacturer?

Are you able to fix or improve on these features above the stock firmware?

Merlin,

I upgraded modems from a Cisco DPC 3010 to a Motorola/Arris SB6141. The AC87U is still reporting the Cisco router's MAC address as the last one seen according to the Tools/Sysinfo page after nearly 30 hours. How can I force the router to "see" the new modem?

I have already tried factory resets (using both the GUI & the WPS procedures for doing so), unplugging both for 60 minutes and nothing seems to work. Do you, or anyone else for that matter, have any ideas on how to resolve this? Will the router eventually update the Sysinfo page with the SB6141's MAC address on its own?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Last edited:
Can you tell us if the QOS is working now, or rather better compared to the primitive QOS on previous models?

Any tests to verify this?

All the reviews I've seen, including on this site, tend to harp on speed and throughput tests with a multiplicity of graphs, and if anything on QOS, they merely copy and paste the wonders of the new Asus Adaptive QOS as claimed by the manufacturer.

The same goes for the AiProtection feature. Any real-world tests done to back up the claims of the manufacturer?

Are you able to fix or improve on these features above the stock firmware?

Adaptive QoS was working fine when I tested it. I had a torrent running when I started a Speedtest in a browser. Torrent speed immediately dropped to next to zero, and my speed test ran at my full ISP speed. Once the speed test completed, torrent went back to its original speed.

I haven't tested Aiprotection beyond just your average "let's tell it to block adult site and try to reach Playboy", and it worked just fine.

Those features are all based around a closed-source engine developed by Trend Micro, so there's no change possible.

Merlin,

I upgraded modems from a Cisco DPC 3010 to a Motorola/Arris SB6141. The AC87U is still reporting the Cisco router's MAC address as the last one seen according to the Tools/Sysinfo page after nearly 30 hours. How can I force the router to "see" the new modem?

I have already tried factory resets (using both the GUI & the WPS procedures for doing so), unplugging both for 60 minutes and nothing seems to work. Do you, or anyone else for that matter, have any ideas on how to resolve this? Will the router eventually update the Sysinfo page with the SB6141's MAC address on its own?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

What you are seeing is not the modem's MAC, since the modem is a bridge. What you see is the MAC of your ISP's router.

Adaptive QoS was working fine when I tested it. I had a torrent running when I started a Speedtest in a browser. Torrent speed immediately dropped to next to zero, and my speed test ran at my full ISP speed. Once the speed test completed, torrent went back to its original speed.

I haven't tested Aiprotection beyond just your average "let's tell it to block adult site and try to reach Playboy", and it worked just fine.

Those features are all based around a closed-source engine developed by Trend Micro, so there's no change possible.

Did you test the Adaptive QOS running off the Asus Download Manager or Transmission running on the router, or on your computer?

I have ordered this router based mostly on the promises of the new and improved QOS.

For years we've run QOS, firewall, cache, DPI on a separate computer and this is like night and day to anything a wireless router can attempt.

Hoping the ASUS RT-AC87 can close the gap.

If not, I would have wasted money and would go back to the future, but in this age, get one of the new Chinese micro computers to run a real QOS / firewall / DNS server / Snort / cache etc. etc. - and NOT controlled by the U.S. based FCC.

Last edited:
What you are seeing is not the modem's MAC, since the modem is a bridge. What you see is the MAC of your ISP's router.
No it is the MAC address for the old modem. It is a spot on match.

Something to check...On the WAN primary page, make sure the the Special Requirement from ISP/MAC Address field is blank.

Last edited:
Did you test the Adaptive QOS running off the Asus Download Manager or Transmission running on the router, or on your computer?

I don't use Download Master. I run my torrents from my desktop.

Then something obviously doesn't add up, unless the modem isn't running as a bridge, and your ISP is cloning MACs on the modem itself. That information isn't stored anywhere in the router nvram, it's dynamically reported by the switch driver.

My router OUI reports a Cisco device here on my WAN rather than a Thompson (my modem).

Hi I just bought a ac87, my ac68 crapped out and wanted a great router... I have not opened it yet.... Recommend keeping or returning

I would say keep it, as I honestly think this router runs really good for being such a new release, compared to other new router's. Asus also been working on new firmware's for this router at a good rate currently. There are a couple bug's like any other router, but I honestly feel it's nothing that should keep anyone from getting what they need from this router in it's current state.

I would say keep it, as I honestly think this router runs really good for being such a new release, compared to other new router's. Asus also been working on new firmware's for this router at a good rate currently. There are a couple bug's like any other router, but I honestly feel it's nothing that should keep anyone from getting what they need from this router in it's current state.

Im new to this forum.... where is the best firmware for stability

I see people talking about betas in threads.... thats why I ask

ty for any help

Hi,
I am sometimes getting these in my log

Aug 28 19:30:18 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Aug 28 19:30:20 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Aug 28 19:30:21 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Aug 28 19:30:22 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Aug 28 19:30:23 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Aug 28 19:30:24 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Aug 28 19:30:25 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address

also I notice sometimes (if I keep trying it start to work, 5GHz so far have not tested the 2.4) I can not connect from wifi to wired devices, I flashed 2 times yesterday, I thought that fixed it but it came back today (it does not do it all the time either)?

I don't do nothing too special, I have 2 usb drives (one to each port), I have auto 2.4 and 5GHz and one guest 2.4 (all use WPA2 personal, the rest auto), a DDNS, manually assigned IP around DHCP 21 total (wired and wifi), hard drive spin down in 400, and 2 port forward address, google WAN DNS. Everything else is default.

Thanks.

when I flash I WPS reset right after also and typed my info back in.

edit: I stream from a dish network hopper(wired) to an ipad (1st gen, wifi) and it was on my 2.4 and would not get video to it then I reset the dish box and nothing still, then I switched the iPad to the 5 GHz and it worked???

Last edited: