What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 376.47 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Just had to go back from 47 to 45 on both routers RT-AC66U and RT-N66U. My routers after a few days kept disconnecting me from the internet. Speed almost reduced to a crawl.
Resets and reboots did not help. 45 is speeding things along again. First issue I have had on RMerlins firmware anyone else having the same issue.

RMerlinn thanks for all the hard work and this issue, might just be isolated to my environment only.:(

It may help to give details of how the routers were used (vpn, usb drives, etc.) and if a reset to defaults were done or not to them.

I've always installed right over the top. No resets from scratch and absolutely no problems till recently.

Did the same again switching back to 45 and no problems, all is well!
I also do all firmware updates via wireless and no problems since 47.

Will probably try again when I have more time and install via ethernet.

Last edited:
Ethernet or WiFi will make no difference with an Asus router. The firmware is first uploaded to the device, then the flashing is performed.

What will make a difference possibly is to perform a reset to factory defaults.

I had to revert back to .45 after upgrading to .47 cause AiCloud web server didn't come up and cannot reach from local https address also from AiCloud clients.

It wasn't a DDNS issue, clients were getting IP address correctly however web server wasn't in service.

Back to .45 and it backs to normal.

Re-tested again, and AiCloud is working fine here.

If the router (firmware 376.47) set the "Media Bridge", then you can connect to WiFi clients. Such did not exist before. Tried on the official firmware, access to WiFi, no.

376.47.jpg

RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_376_1663.JPG

The result is not "Media Bridge" and "repeater mode"

Last edited:
Hi!
I was just realising that internet was running slow.. so I did a speedtest and the values were very bad, then I rebooted the Rt-ac68u with merlin's 376.47 and did another speedtest, this time the values were almost normal.

Is this a problem of the latest build? what do you think?

(The router was running 5 days without rebooting it)

I'm attaching the speedtest results, the last one was after the reboot and the previous one before the reboot.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-27 at 3.04.14 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-09-27 at 3.04.14 PM.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 334
davewolfs, What O/S, browser and A/V are you using?

Windows 7, RTN-66, 376.47, Putty

I've never had an issue with a Merlin build until this one.

It seems like the channel got switched during the upgrade from 11-> Auto. Perhaps could be a reason as there are some overlapping networks in that case.

Side note, last night the router required a full reboot. Don't remember last time I had to do this. I don't think it was a channel issue as the iPad that was connected was maybe 20-30ft from the router.

Last edited:
Still happening after change. Some timeouts in internet too. I tried to downgrade but new version still showing so I don't think it worked. Is it possible to downgrade?

Edit:

Seems like the downgrade worked after second try.

Last edited:
Still happening after change. Some timeouts in internet too. I tried to downgrade but new version still showing so I don't think it worked. Is it possible to downgrade?

Edit:

Seems like the downgrade worked after second try.

Anytime you downgrade or upgrade your firmware it is completely safe. I would make sure to always clear my nvram to ensure I didn't have any random problems.

If you ever have any problems with the firmware on your router, always try clearing your nvram first to see if it fixes the problems you are having. Clearing your nvram will clear out any bad settings that could have been caused from switching firmware builds.

I bought an ac68u recently so this is my first time trying out Merlin. I have been using tomatousb for years though. I have been having a couple of issues.

1.Whenever I apply changes to ipv6 or changing the default gateway, the router locks up. I have to then power cycle it and power cycle my modem to get functionality back. I have tried clearing nvram. Anyone else have similar issues?

2. I can't seem to get internal DNS working. Tomato it was plug and play. I have assigned a few computers with static IPs via "Manually Assigned IP around the DHCP list". However, the names are not pingable. I get a "bad address" when I use computer names. This applies to linux boxes and win7. It can find itself just fine though.

Please, can RMerlin or someone else advise me how to use firewall scrip to block traficc if vpn (openvpn) drops?

I created a firewall-start.sh, uploaded to /jffs/scripts, made it executable and nothing, unprotected internet traffic is not dropped.

I looked at the following script, dint work. I have found 0 advice on how to apply this kind of script for merlin firmware. These apparently work for Tomato..

#!/bin/sh
iptables -I FORWARD -i br0 -o tun0 -j ACCEPT
iptables -I FORWARD -i tun0 -o br0 -j ACCEPT
iptables -I FORWARD -i br0 -o vlan2 -j DROP
iptables -I INPUT -i tun0 -j REJECT
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o tun0 -j MASQUERADE

#!/bin/sh
iptables -I FORWARD -i br0 -o eth0 -j DROP

Some help would be greatly apprciated

Drop connection if VPN is down

Please, can RMerlin or someone else advise me how to use firewall scrip to block traficc if vpn (openvpn) drops?

I created a firewall-start.sh, uploaded to /jffs/scripts, made it executable and nothing, unprotected internet traffic is not dropped.

I looked at the following script, dint work. I have found 0 advice on how to apply this kind of script for merlin firmware. These apparently work for Tomato..

#!/bin/sh
iptables -I FORWARD -i br0 -o vlan2 -j DROP

#!/bin/sh
iptables -I FORWARD -i br0 -o eth0 -j DROP

Some help would be greatly apprciated

I had the same issue, but worked around it by assigning the VPN's DNS server(s) directly to those devices routed through the tunnel. Specifically, used the dnsmasq.conf.add script.

Hope this help!

Anyone having problems with the 5GHz on RT-AC68U and this build?

After running fine for 3 days my clients just disconnect and the 5G SSID doesn't show up when doing wirless survey on the client...The 2.4 GHz + guest network shows up fine.

After restart managed to get it running but client connection seems a bit flaky :(

Reverting back to 376.45

I updated from the 43 fork about a week ago.... No issues besides not being able to turn the mv up to 200...I have 8 devices on the 5ghz and 5 on 2.4ghz...

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Unexpected reboot on WAN loss

I have been running 376.47 since the update came out and planned not to make any changes and see what the endurance of this build would be. The only thing I was running was htop on a daily basis to see if there was any memory leaks and watching the syslog for any unusual message.

At about 2:00 AM central time the router restarted without any indication. All I could find when I checked my AT&T residential gateway is that AT&T decided to do a remote reboot of their device around that time.

Has anyone else experienced a reboot of their router when the WAN is lost?

I had asked about using the 66 3G modem code with your FW which is based on latest 87 GPL:
Without actually analyzing the Kernel code and determining if that code requires any change to work on a different kernel version, that's impossible to say.

The code from the AC87 GPL release contains both the common code that is shared accross *all* Asus routers, plus the AC87 specific bits. Merging these on top of my source tree does not affect the N66-specific bits. The MIPS kernel used by the N66 comes from the latest N66/AC66 GPL release, it's not affected in any way by the merge of the ARM kernel on top of the entire source tree - the two exist in parallel.

I am simply using the latest GPL release, regardless of the targeted router model, since that's irrelevant. And right now, the newest is the AC87U release.

In short: nothing was "downgraded" by merging the AC87U code. My source tree contains the latest from all models, merged together.

Asuswrt is based on a unified code base shared by ALL of Asus's routers. The device-specific bits are all in the same source tree, stored in parallel, and compiled according to the target model you specify at the time you build the firmware.

Thanks for taking the time to explain this to me. You have no doubt forgotten more about this stuff than I will ever know! Having managed to get only 35_4 to work with my modem, I guess I will just stick with it unless/until bad things happen with it...!

I'm now using this version of the firmware, but see the info below from my syslog file. Wasn't this fixed in an earlier firmware release or is it an issue Asus is still trying to work out?

Sep 28 10:50:16 kernel: Dead loop on virtual device vlan2, fix it urgently!
Sep 28 10:50:16 kernel: Dead loop on virtual device vlan2, fix it urgently!
Sep 28 10:57:45 kernel: Dead loop on virtual device vlan2, fix it urgently!
Sep 28 10:57:45 kernel: Dead loop on virtual device vlan2, fix it urgently!
Sep 28 11:00:30 kernel: Dead loop on virtual device vlan2, fix it urgently!
Sep 28 11:00:30 kernel: Dead loop on virtual device vlan2, fix it urgently!
Sep 28 11:01:21 kernel: Dead loop on virtual device vlan2, fix it urgently!
Sep 28 11:01:21 kernel: Dead loop on virtual device vlan2, fix it urgently!
Sep 28 11:01:38 kernel: Dead loop on virtual device vlan2, fix it urgently!
Sep 28 11:01:47 kernel: Dead loop on virtual device vlan2, fix it urgently!
Sep 28 11:01:47 kernel: Dead loop on virtual device vlan2, fix it urgently!
Sep 28 11:02:04 kernel: Dead loop on virtual device vlan2, fix it urgently!
Sep 28 11:02:04 kernel: Dead loop on virtual device vlan2, fix it urgently!
Sep 28 11:02:07 kernel: Dead loop on virtual device vlan2, fix it urgently!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Asus removed threading support to sqlite in recent versions. I have to assume this was done for stability and reliability reasons on SMP routers.

Not having inotify support doesn't mean minidlna won't work, it simply means it might not pickup changes on your USB disk in real time.

Wow this is huge for people who use minidlna and Download Master (i believe DM uses inotify for checking the watchdir), a warning would be nice.

Is 376.47 the first firmware thus affected? Still on 374.43.

I haven't tried resetting my router since I uppraded from 376.45 to 376.47, but...

It looks like the infamous Wireless Mac Filter bug has returned. Once I enabled the Wireless Mac Filter, I am unable to disable it and I cannot add additional wireless devices. I've tried Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer; it makes no difference.

I can't reproduce the issue. Make sure you don't have a device name with an invalid character in its name, especially quotes.

If you open your browser's error console, it will probably give you more information as to what is breaking the webui.

Hi!
I was just realising that internet was running slow.. so I did a speedtest and the values were very bad, then I rebooted the Rt-ac68u with merlin's 376.47 and did another speedtest, this time the values were almost normal.

Is this a problem of the latest build? what do you think?
Same behavior on RT-N66U, internet (static IP) runs slow after ~1-2 days. Reverted back to .43, no problem now.

Same behavior on RT-N66U, internet (static IP) runs slow after ~1-2 days. Reverted back to .43, no problem now.

are you referring to 374.43? i am also currently experiencing some slowness with loading websites. it doesn't happen all the time though. sometimes it takes 5 seconds before the page even loads at all. never had this problem on 374.43. was thinking about reverting back.