What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 380.58 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Please people with the RT-N66 use John's fork it may not have all the latest toys but it works excellent for routing and is by far the best firmware for this model at this time hands down. Lets also face the fact the N66 is showing it's age and dont expect it to work like a bran new AC router with a 1.4 Ghz processor. Be happy it's still supported at all. o_O

Stupid question but any chance FW updates could cause some web pages to have issue loading and or take abnormally long to load?? for instance gamespot.com seem to been taking abnormal long time to load like it site there 5+ seconds waiting for connection before start to load which very slow.

IT not just gamespot.com it just the one the most obvious, other sites randomly doing this too.

tried the upgrade and all went smoothly
after upgrade custom routing didn't work
with win scp discovered that subfolders w/in the jffs folder didn't exist (ie no scripts folder)
downgraded to .57 and folders return and all works properly

Router model?

Stupid question but any chance FW updates could cause some web pages to have issue loading and or take abnormally long to load?? for instance gamespot.com seem to been taking abnormal long time to load like it site there 5+ seconds waiting for connection before start to load which very slow.

IT not just gamespot.com it just the one the most obvious, other sites randomly doing this too.
possibly a DNS issue.. I would start there

Anyone having issues with DNLA access with this firmware?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just checked. Both players seeing DLNA fine--if not faster.

I have two NAS with DLNA. Both are equally accessible. And the USB 3.0 on the router.

Thank you for checking. I'm having strange issues with mine, a HDD connected via usb3 port. I have mutilple folders "TV", "movies", etc and my tv refuses to load the 'movies' folder. Have tried resets, different HDD, putting files in one by one, etc. Still having issues. Strangely, used to have the exact same problem from the start until a firmware update cured it. Now having the same problems again.

Thanks for checking!

RT-N66W
sorry thought I'd included
not sure what John's fork is
seems like the jffs folders should be implemented regardless

RT-N66W
sorry thought I'd included
not sure what John's fork is
seems like the jffs folders should be implemented regardless
On the MIPS based routers, the jffs space is carved out of the space left after the firmware is loaded. As the firmware grows, the start of the jffs space can change, and you need to reformat jffs and restore your files from a backup (it's a warning message on the firmware upgrade page).

possibly a DNS issue.. I would start there

eh you might be right if I use opendns then
Code:
@echo off
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns

to clear and register dns site take very long time to load

If automaticly use isp DNS server and
Code:
@echo off
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns
the site load almost instantly

Last edited:
On the MIPS based routers, the jffs space is carved out of the space left after the firmware is loaded. As the firmware grows, the start of the jffs space can change, and you need to reformat jffs and restore your files from a backup (it's a warning message on the firmware upgrade page).

tried that and it didn't do anything- I assume since the jffs subfolders didn't exist on the .58 build

Last night was testing the opendns client options for dns.
Went through each option from disable to exclusive.
Was basically using the speed test to see which option was the fastest.
After i finished with exclusive i turned the vpn off.

I tried to test again but i couldn't get an internet connection.
I could only get a connection when turning the vpn on.

Solved the issue by rebooting.

This happened after using exclusive because i turned it off and changed the settings each time before applying and then re turning it on.
My friends on line would disappear each time and return quickly....because i was logging on and off.

After rebooting my RT-AC88U, I get the following message in my System Log for both of my OpenVPN Servers:

"WARNING: using --duplicate-cn and --client-config-dir together is probably not what you want"

Is this a cause for concern? Is there anything I can or should do to eliminate this message? Thanks.

After rebooting my RT-AC88U, I get the following message in my System Log for both of my OpenVPN Servers:

"WARNING: using --duplicate-cn and --client-config-dir together is probably not what you want"

Is this a cause for concern? Is there anything I can or should do to eliminate this message? Thanks.

You can safely ignore that.

Hi there,
first thanks for the great work RMerlin.

My Problem:
I have an RT-AC68U which shares the internet via LAN and WLAN.
I have an RT-AC66U which is configured as Media Bridge.

Since version 378.56 for the RT-AC66U the router will always reboot when I try to enter the web interface with my pc (which is directly connected to the RT-AC66U). The only possible way to get in the web interface is with my smartphone.

Hi there,

My Problem:

Since version 378.56 for the RT-AC66U the router will always reboot when I try to enter the web interface with my pc (which is directly connected to the RT-AC66U). The only possible way to get in the web interface is with my smartphone.

A lot of users are experiencing stability issues with media bridge mode. Not much to do but wait to see if a future release from Asus fixes it.

Hi there,

My Problem:

Does this happen with the latest ASUS FW, 380.2345? I see that Merlin 380.58 is based off a slightly older code than the 2345 released by ASUS. Maybe they fixed this issue?

Does this happen with the latest ASUS FW, 380.2345? I see that Merlin 380.58 is based off a slightly older code than the 2345 released by ASUS. Maybe they fixed this issue?

You can install it and let us know. For now, I am using Johns fork on my AC66U in Repeater mode since I was experiencing the same problem.

I'm having trouble accessing the admin UI page. It was for working then suddenly it can't be reached.
Is there some kind cmd I can use to get it working again without rebooting? Maybe set the admin autolog out or enable both http and https authentication? I'm using https only. I have a AC68u.

Last edited:
No the Asus FW has no issues.
Currently I am on the 380.2695 Beta and have no issues. Same for version 378.9533. (Both RT-AC66U)

Ditto on issues with the media bridge mode. I really like that feature as it is much faster than regular and everything works better when it works.

Is it OK to update from 378.56_2 to RT-AC66U_380.58_0.zip in one step without resetting? I want to do this remotely on a friends router, but it would be difficult for him to recover from a borked upgrade on his own. I have flashed many previous updates for him remotely, but wasn't sure if the gap between versions would be OK this time.

A second question:

He has a 1Tb USB NTFS drive attached to the router with approx 900Gb of videos, files and music on it. After a reboot Top indicates that minidlna has very high CPU [100%] for some hours until scanning completes. Is that timescale normal, or do I have a problem? The system is brought to its knees during this process and it occurs after every reboot. Have checked the drive and its OK. Is there a way to stop/suspend scanning as his drive content doesn't change very often.