What's new

BACKUPMON BACKUPMON v1.8.5 -June 21, 2024- Backup/Restore your Router: JFFS + NVRAM + External USB Drive! CIFS/SMB/NFS! (Now available in AMTM!)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

And why not :
/tmp/mnt/<YOUHAVETOSETTHISTOTHEREALMOUNTPOINTOFYOURUSBDRIVEORBACKUPWILLFAIL>

I guess that will be long enough to be seen. 😇
😂

I've just fixed a little annoyance I've been seeing lately. Occasionally (once or twice a week) my primary backup was failing, the share wasn't mounted. I've tracked this down to the drive on my server spinning down. Now, I have a home build server with usb storage and I'm okay with the drives spinning down to save power, so I just went and created a new cron on the server to "touch" an empty file on the drive, 5 minutes before the backup runs. The next week will confirm my fix.
Just putting it here for anyone having a similar problem on a similar setup to save them asking.

Last edited:
Works like a charm. Xfinity did some network updates earlier this week and it resulted in not being able to connect to the Internet as Xfinity apparently disabled the ability of my modem to connect using LAG. Turning of LAG off on both the modem and router didn't seem to restore connectivity.

To resolve the issue had to do a factory reset. Did a minimal setup, reinstalled BACKUPMON and set the source and destination locations then did a manual restore and all my settings and scripts reappeared including the settings for VPN server and VPN clients.

Amazing! Thank you!

Works like a charm. Xfinity did some network updates earlier this week and it resulted in not being able to connect to the Internet as Xfinity apparently disabled the ability of my modem to connect using LAG. Turning of LAG off on both the modem and router didn't seem to restore connectivity.

To resolve the issue had to do a factory reset. Did a minimal setup, reinstalled BACKUPMON and set the source and destination locations then did a manual restore and all my settings and scripts reappeared including the settings for VPN server and VPN clients.

Amazing! Thank you!
Glad to hear from another happy customer! Happy it all worked out for you! :)

Minor update today to help with the issue that @Gen10 was running into! Thanks for your assist!

What's new?
v1.8.5 - (June 21, 2024)
- MINOR:
Added a tweak to the config menu that will now display a RED <-- Action Needed! arrow in place of the "Source EXT USB Drive Mount Point" entry if the default sample mount point name is still in use (ie. "/tmp/mnt/<selectusbdrive>"). Thanks to @Gen10 for running into this issue, and figuring out that backup failures were happening because this mount point name had not been changed yet. The default entry written to the config file is now "/tmp/mnt/<selectusbdrive>".

Download link (or update directly within AMTM/BACKUPMON):
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/BACKUPMON/master/backupmon.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/backupmon.sh" && chmod 755 "/jffs/scripts/backupmon.sh"

Significant Screenshots:

An "Action Needed" arrow now shows instead of the Source USB Drive Mount Point if the default name ("/tmp/mnt/<selectusbdrive>") is still in use.
1718983754538.png

Last edited:
Glad to hear from another happy customer! Happy it all worked out for you! :)
Did have one small issue after recovery. I had to manually go into the configuration file for vnSTAT and change the interface from Bond1 to eth0.

Minor issue so thanks again.

Yeah, BACKUPMON is just going to put things back the way they were ... I don't think it has any idea a fundamental back end change like that happened that affected individual apps. I'm surprised that was the only change you had to make!

Yeah, BACKUPMON is just going to put things back the way they were ... I don't think it has any idea a fundamental back end change like that happened that affected individual apps. I'm surprised that was the only change you had to make!
LAG is a solution to a technical issue that is being phased out as the newest routers are coming with multi-gig WAN ports. Similar to what happened when manufacturers eliminated the need for crossover cables to connect a modem to a router.

LAG is a solution to a technical issue that is being phased out as the newest routers are coming with multi-gig WAN ports. Similar to what happened when manufacturers eliminated the need for crossover cables to connect a modem to a router.
I have Xfinity as well, and actually had to look up how LAG could be used... Definitely an interesting approach to things. I ended up saying "no" to all equipment when I established service 8+ years ago, and started with a Netgear CM1000 and later replaced it with a Motorola MB8611 to take advantage of the 2.5GB port.

I have Xfinity as well, and actually had to look up how LAG could be used... Definitely an interesting approach to things. I ended up saying "no" to all equipment when I established service 8+ years ago, and started with a Netgear CM1000 and later replaced it with a Motorola MB8611 to take advantage of the 2.5GB port.
I currently have a MB8600. When Xfinity upgraded my 1 gig service to 1.2 gig and after I purchased an AX86S I implemented LAG. To be honest didn't really see any difference since there are only two people in my home and I don't have any hardware with 2.5 gig or better LAN connections. When Xfinity increased my monthly rate for gig+ service by $30 monthly I dropped back to 800/20 which with their over provisioning still gets me close to 1 gig downloads.

Didn't bother to reconfigure my modem and router as LAG was still working until whatever Xfinity did this week that knocked me offline.

Next router will probably be an AX88Pro with multi gig WAN & LAN ports.

Thanks again for your great work.

I've just fixed a little annoyance I've been seeing lately. Occasionally (once or twice a week) my primary backup was failing, the share wasn't mounted. I've tracked this down to the drive on my server spinning down. Now, I have a home build server with usb storage and I'm okay with the drives spinning down to save power, so I just went and created a new cron on the server to "touch" an empty file on the drive, 5 minutes before the backup runs. The next week will confirm my fix.
Just putting it here for anyone having a similar problem on a similar setup to save them asking.
That didn't fix it but I seem to have fixed it now. There was an error creating the backup
Code:
Jun 23 2024 07:20:09 ripshod BACKUPMON[11733] - tar: read error: Input/output error
Jun 23 2024 07:20:10 ripshod BACKUPMON[11733] - **ERROR**: Errors detected creating JFFS tar file.
After a reboot, the same. On a hunch I disabled all Trend Micro stuff and since another reboot everything is working fine now. I'm not going to cast aspersions here but could a Trend Micro signature update have changed something? It's never caused problems before but we have had a couple of updates from TM recently. Perhaps a change to harden AIProtection, specifically AiProtectionMonitor.db? Anyone else seen this or similar?

Follow-up:
Adding the following line to my exclusions file does seem to fix it, so no worries if anyone needs AiProtection running:
Code:
/jffs/.sys/AiProtectionMonitor/AiProtectionMonitor.db

Last edited:
That didn't fix it but I seem to have fixed it now. There was an error creating the backup
Code:
Jun 23 2024 07:20:09 ripshod BACKUPMON[11733] - tar: read error: Input/output error
Jun 23 2024 07:20:10 ripshod BACKUPMON[11733] - **ERROR**: Errors detected creating JFFS tar file.
After a reboot, the same. On a hunch I disabled all Trend Micro stuff and since another reboot everything is working fine now. I'm not going to cast aspersions here but could a Trend Micro signature update have changed something? It's never caused problems before but we have had a couple of updates from TM recently. Perhaps a change to harden AIProtection, specifically AiProtectionMonitor.db? Anyone else seen this or similar?

Follow-up:
Added the following line to my exclusions file does seem to fix it, so no worries in anyone needs AiProtection running:
Code:
/jffs/.sys/AiProtectionMonitor/AiProtectionMonitor.db
Nice find! Haven't had any backup failures, but I've also had TM turned off since day 1... I had found it typically interfered with stability and performance... and having it turned off greatly improved both of those 2 things. Unfortunately, there's still yet another TM component you can't turn off (ASD) that has been known to interfere with scripts if they contain certain kinds of commands. I think this recently happened with Skynet, where the file would just get deleted upon install. ;)

Nice find! Haven't had any backup failures, but I've also had TM turned off since day 1... I had found it typically interfered with stability and performance... and having it turned off greatly improved both of those 2 things. Unfortunately, there's still yet another TM component you can't turn off (ASD) that has been known to interfere with scripts if they contain certain kinds of commands. I think this recently happened with Skynet, where the file would just get deleted upon install. ;)
I was a victim of the ASD debacle, I remember the members coming together on that one.
As for the TM updates, that's just me presuming. Nothing else had changed, you know? That, and the exclusion working.

I was a victim of the ASD debacle, I remember the members coming together on that one.
As for the TM updates, that's just me presuming. Nothing else had changed, you know? That, and the exclusion working.
Oh yeah! LOL that's right. :) You've definitely been in the trenches on that one! LOL

You might very well be on to something... you could take it a step further and run a manual TAR backup as backupmon would run, and use the verbose flag. This would at least tell you the last file it was trying to backup when it gives you that input/output error?

As fast as I can see BACKUPMON has only 4 flags. Maybe explain it and I'll do. I have Scribe installed but I could remove it to get the router log options back.

As fast as I can see BACKUPMON has only 4 flags. Maybe explain it and I'll do. I have Scribe installed but I could remove it to get the router log options back.
Try something like this:

Code:
tar -zvcf /tmp/mnt/UNCDRIVE/backupfolder/jffs.tar.gz -C /jffs .

Oh, make sure your drive is mounted, here's the basic verbiage - replace the $ with your info... I know this is all a manual PITA... ;)

Code:
mount -t cifs $UNC $UNCDRIVE -o "vers=${SMBVER},username=${BTUSERNAME},password=${UNENCPWD}"

This might be a good addition... an option to enable verbose logging for troubleshooting purposes. ;)

Last edited:
Try something like this:

Code:
tar -zvcf /tmp/mnt/UNCDRIVE/backupfolder/jffs.tar.gz -C /jffs .

Oh, make sure your drive is mounted, here's the basic verbiage - replace the $ with your info... I know this is all a manual PITA... ;)

Code:
mount -t cifs $UNC $UNCDRIVE -o "vers=${SMBVER},username=${BTUSERNAME},password=${UNENCPWD}"
Strange, but it completes now, with AIprotection active and the exclusion removed. 🧐

Strange, but it completes now, with AIprotection active and the exclusion removed. 🧐
Oh isn't that frustrating. :( Back to square 1.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!