What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

log-queres=extra is something I need to consider for uiDivStats 2.0 :(
Do a grep on dnsmasq.conf for the string "log-queries=extra" to check if you have to. But the near field $(NF-2) works with and without that verbose setting.

Unfortunately I am still getting ads when watching Peppa Pig on Android. Getting Candy Crush Saga, Pinball, asmr slicing, pokemon go etc ads everytime the Timer on the video hits the small yellow bar. Please note on Desktop this is no problem because I have uBlock Origin installed and the ads don't appear.

I've ran option b and ran through installation again but it still persists.

When setting up Diversion I followed the "
How to use an upstream DNS Server like 8.8.8.8 from Google" So I have no idea if maybe enabling that is causing ads to appear.

Edit - Seems I can't upload more than 2 images so I put everything in an album
https://imgur.com/a/Kmxqqxz

Unfortunately I am still getting ads when watching Peppa Pig on Android. Getting Candy Crush Saga, Pinball, asmr slicing, pokemon go etc ads everytime the Timer on the video hits the small yellow bar. Please note on Desktop this is no problem because I have uBlock Origin installed and the ads don't appear.

I've ran option b and ran through installation again but it still persists.

When setting up Diversion I followed the "
How to use an upstream DNS Server like 8.8.8.8 from Google" So I have no idea if maybe enabling that is causing ads to appear.

Edit - Seems I can't upload more than 2 images so I put everything in an album
https://imgur.com/a/Kmxqqxz
Make sure your global filter mode in DNS filter is set to router ... this makes sure all the devices go through dnsmasq

Make sure your global filter mode in DNS filter is set to router ... this makes sure all the devices go through dnsmasq

I followed How to exclude a client from ad-blocking in the FAQ.

In your router Web-UI, go to DNS-Filtering
- set 'Enable DNS-based Filtering' to ON
- set 'Global Filter Mode' to 'NO filtering'
- fill in 'Custom (user-defined) DNS 1' with, for example, Google's DNS 8.8.8.8
- select your client(s) in the Client List and set 'Filter Mode' 'Custom 1'
- click Apply

But I made that change but ads still appear.
VJH2k2S.png

I followed How to exclude a client from ad-blocking in the FAQ.

But I made that change but ads still appear.
VJH2k2S.png
The Sony TV uses Googles 8.8.8.8 directly, circumventing the routers Dnsmasq and with it Diversion.

Code:
if [ ! -f /opt/bin/7z ]; then
            opkg update
            opkg install p7zip
        fi
        /opt/bin/7z a -y -bsp0 -bso0 -tzip "/tmp/""$SCRIPT_NAME_LOWER""data.zip" "$tmpoutputdir/*"
is the snippet I use to zip up a directory silently
Hot damn, is it not extremely satisfying when it suddenly works again?
Had to tweak a bit with a generated list of files to exclude but now the zip option in Diversion for the backup function is back in business.

I have two Bravia TV's and I have never had to do this.
I wish I didn't have that problem, but everyones network and devices are different so I have no idea why that works but then that shouldn't be the reason why I still get ads on my Android tablet.
I'll just uninstall Diversion and run through the setup again and leave Youtube videos running from the tablet. Maybe it will work.

I wish I didn't have that problem, but everyones network and devices are different so I have no idea why that works but then that shouldn't be the reason why I still get ads on my Android tablet.
I'll just uninstall Diversion and run through the setup again and leave Youtube videos running from the tablet. Maybe it will work.
are you seeing any dns queries to dnsmasq from the device? .... you should be able to see queries in the dnsmasq.log with the IP of your android tablet at the end. You can follow the dnsmasq log in diversion using f option 5 and enter the term googlevideo.com
Code:
May 10 06:48:19 dnsmasq[32061]: query[A] r5---sn-4wg7ln76.googlevideo.com from 192.168.1.193

Last edited:
They don't count as ads blocked - yet. Technically all the r*.**-********.googlevideo.com domains that the YT block feature collects are forced to use the same IP address, instead of them individually resolving their own IP. That server behind the forced IP will not have the same content as the real server.
Or so I think this is how it works...

I have yet to build in the counter that includes this new feature.
To check if the YT blocking works, run the f command in Diversion, select one of the Unfiltered log options and view some YT videos.
Every r*.**-********.googlevideo.com that is directed to the forced IP address set and shown in b, 8 potentially shows no video ads.

Edit: And to add, every r*.**-********.googlevideo.com that is not resolved to the forced IP address should then be collected by this new YT blocking feature and added to the list.
Thank you!

Anton

Assume -3 brings up query/forwarded etc. for you? -2 is the domain for me
Run the grep in terminal, without the awk, see what you get, the field you're after is from there.

Looks like I nailed the YouTube feature, no failures since the last update.
I stressed my main router today with about 15 devices running autoplay YT for about an hour. While the RT-AX88U was unimpressed with that heavy traffic, I was enjoying the System Log page adding lots of domains to the blacklist.

The setup logic, the auto-add and timing adjustments seem sound and working flawless.
I'm happy to say that Diversion now also blocks YouTube video ads, with a few sacrificial ones coming through.
All that with a couple hundred lines of code, lots of coffee, swe@%$ring and almost no pillow time.
Not a bad outcome from post #6000 that triggered it all.

I have posted a thank you comment to the original script coder on Pi-Holes discourse board. To let him know that it's appreciated and made good use of.

I stressed my main router today with about 15 devices running autoplay YT for about an hour. While the RT-AX88U was unimpressed with that heavy traffic, I was enjoying the System Log page adding lots of domains to the blacklist.

The setup logic, the auto-add and timing adjustments seem sound and working flawless.
I'm happy to say that Diversion now also blocks YouTube video ads, with a few sacrificial ones coming through.
All that with a couple hundred lines of code, lots of coffee, swe@%$ring and almost no pillow time.

I have posted a thank you comment to the original script coder on Pi-Holes discourse board. To let him know that it's appreciated and made good use of.
Awesome work! There is probably nothing more satisfying than updating this FAQ: https://diversion.ch/faq-reader/can-diversion-block-youtube-ads.html

Cant wait till I get my new ax88 before can test the YT ads blocking feature. I have been following the thread closely. So far everyone testing looks good. (Edit due to the epidemic and usage of positive word). seem worth the new router purchase. Lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online