What's new

ntpMerlin ntpMerlin - NTP Daemon for AsusWRT Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thoughts?
upload_2019-5-6_20-6-26.png

Just FYI I learned if you manually edited the ntp.conf to use your geographically nearest servers (eg. 0.fr.pool.ntp.org, 1.fr.pool.ntp.org etc) then its best to leave the web GUI ntp server at default (pool.ntp.org) otherwise it may go crazy syncing with random servers worldwide. I discovered it when my graphs went chaotic and then followed dnsmasq logs. Otherwise it's now been working perfectly for many weeks. Jacks a legend.

Just FYI I learned if you manually edited the ntp.conf to use your geographically nearest servers (eg. 0.fr.pool.ntp.org, 1.fr.pool.ntp.org etc) then its best to leave the web GUI ntp server at default (pool.ntp.org) otherwise it may go crazy syncing with random servers worldwide. I discovered it when my graphs went chaotic and then followed dnsmasq logs. Otherwise it's now been working perfectly for many weeks. Jacks a legend.

I have my nearest GPS stratum 1 servers setup in the GUI and also in the ntpMerlin configuration file (removed all other preconfigured servers from there). Since then my graphs have been fairly stable. Also, I have “Enable local NTP server” setting as “No”.

Just FYI I learned if you manually edited the ntp.conf to use your geographically nearest servers (eg. 0.fr.pool.ntp.org, 1.fr.pool.ntp.org etc) then its best to leave the web GUI ntp server at default (pool.ntp.org) otherwise it may go crazy syncing with random servers worldwide.

Yeah - for US - 0.us.pool.ntp.org is good -

If one uses Google's Public DNS - try using Google's Public NTP - they're stratum 1 and fairly stable. One thing that some time enthusiasts don't like about Google NTP is they "smear" time when one approaches leap seconds over a short period of time as some clients don't like the hard jump when the leap second occurs.

server time1.google.com iburst
server time2.google.com iburst
server time3.google.com iburst
server time4.google.com iburst

So, the ntp daemon provided by 384.11 is unfortunately too limited to be queried by ntpq, so ntpmerlin will continue to require Entware. I will update it to be 384.11 aware (so that it can tweak nvram where needed), but i cannot integrate.

Feature-wise, ntpmerlin provides graphing as a benefit over the firmware implementation, since the redirect and the ntp daemon itself have now been integrated.

@RMerlin can the ntp redirect nvram variable be set even if ntp is in client mode only? If so, I can simplify my redirect code

EDIT: graphs will be migrated to interactive charts driven by chart.js a la uiDivStats

@RMerlin can the ntp redirect nvram variable be set even if ntp is in client mode only? If so, I can simplify my redirect code

No, ntpd_enable must also be set. This check is made to avoid users disabling the ntpd without first disabling the redirection, which would break NTP on all of their LAN devices.