What's new

ntpMerlin ntpMerlin - NTP Daemon for AsusWRT Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I just updated and am watching the ntpd log file... Can I set the config to not attempt to solicit IPv6 servers, since I do not have IPv6 enabled?

Code:
4 Jul 20:12:23 ntpd[15479]: Soliciting pool server 129.6.15.29
4 Jul 20:13:27 ntpd[15479]: Soliciting pool server 2610:20:6f15:15::27
4 Jul 20:14:34 ntpd[15479]: Soliciting pool server 2610:20:6f96:96::4
4 Jul 20:15:40 ntpd[15479]: Soliciting pool server 2610:20:6f96:96::6

I tried adding
Code:
interface ignore ipv6
but that didn't work.

Last edited:
Great work thank you [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m liking the new feature, thank you [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey guys. So I just installed this and configured my servers. It works nicely thank you. But I have this question in mind. What about the routers clock? Do we set the NTP Server in Administration to localhost or do we let it use external servers? Thank you

Just updated my RT-AC86U to 384.12, updated Entware and then updated this script.

Took a bit of fiddling around as openssl broke as part of the Entware update so then wget couldn't download anything so the ntpMerlin install failed - was a perpetual loop of can't even download the latest openssl package as the fix. I had to manually extract from the ipk and scp the openssl libs over in the end to fix that!

A few ntpMerlin uninstalls, installs, u's and uf's later and I've got it all working nicely!! Yay!

What is the best way to go back and install 1.3.0? My router is on firmware before .11 and the update proceeded to update to version 2 (there were some file not found errors I saw). Only after uninstall and then attempt to reinstall I got the warning my firmware is too old. The Github release notes showed the firmware requirement but the first post did not at the time.

What is the best way to go back and install 1.3.0? My router is on firmware before .11 and the update proceeded to update to version 2 (there were some file not found errors I saw). Only after uninstall and then attempt to reinstall I got the warning my firmware is too old. The Github release notes showed the firmware requirement but the first post did not at the time.
Which version of the firmware are you on, out of interest?

Just updated my RT-AC86U to 384.12, updated Entware and then updated this script.

Took a bit of fiddling around as openssl broke as part of the Entware update so then wget couldn't download anything so the ntpMerlin install failed - was a perpetual loop of can't even download the latest openssl package as the fix. I had to manually extract from the ipk and scp the openssl libs over in the end to fix that!

A few ntpMerlin uninstalls, installs, u's and uf's later and I've got it all working nicely!! Yay!
im in the latest version too. i think mine is broken too. how can i fix it? sorry im a bit new on this whole router thing so idk where is the libs and where can i find the newest fixed ones. thanks

im in the latest version too. i think mine is broken too. how can i fix it? sorry im a bit new on this whole router thing so idk where is the libs and where can i find the newest fixed ones. thanks

What makes you think it’s broken? Or indeed in the same way?

The processes I went through to fix mine weren’t simple!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

o
What makes you think it’s broken? Or indeed in the same way?

The processes I went through to fix mine weren’t simple!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oh thought mine was broken since i just upgraded to the latest ver too. sorry for the inconvenience…

anyways
i have a question, Do we set the NTP Server in Administration to localhost or do we let it use external servers? thanks.

This is a great update Jack, thanks!

Any chance you could add a line to the top of the page indicating what stratum ntpd is currently operating at?

First check is always ensure the date/time is "close", like within a few minutes. You shouldn't need to fool with libs and such, it should install and "just work".

this is running great. :cool::D:D

This is a great update Jack, thanks!

Any chance you could add a line to the top of the page indicating what stratum ntpd is currently operating at?
you can see that info by running ntpq -p -c rv in SSH, it will tell you the stratum of the servers used, and it will list your overall stratum rank as well, keep in mind that this list may take a second to populate all the way.

I may consider testing with entware sqlite for those that don't want to update to 384.11 (though you should - security and all that)

you can see that info by running ntpq -p -c rv in SSH, it will tell you the stratum of the servers used, and it will list your overall stratum rank as well, keep in mind that this list may take a second to populate all the way.

Thanks, I'm aware of that. It would just be a convenience to see it on the graphs page.

Last edited:
Thanks, I'm aware of that. It would just be a convenience to see it on the graphs page.
I agree with your assessment, @Jack Yaz would it be able to be implemented as a future feature?

I may consider testing with entware sqlite for those that don't want to update to 384.11 (though you should - security and all that)

Ultimately updated the firware (and broke a few unrelated things) but was originally on 384.8. Thanks for considering making the 2.x version work for older firmwares.

You may want to update the first post in this threat to reflect the new requirement for 384.11 (currently just says 384.xx). Also possibly add the same prereq check that you use in the installer routine to be in the updater, would have been great to get a message the minimum firmware version is not met when I tried updating while running the older 384.8.