What's new

[Release] AB-Solution 3 - The Ad Blocking Solution

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the oldest commands on the internet fails to check if an internet service is running.
Good morning Switzerland.
Let me enjoy my excellent view for a moment and ponder the choices I made in my life.
Oh I agree with you... I tried to install iputils-ping from entware, same segmentation fault. I begin to wonder, something seems to fail I believe in the DNS lookup, maybe it's not busybox itself.

OK, problem found!
If I disable entware ping works. Some library from it interferes with DNS lookups.

EDIT: No, it is not working after all. I was fooled because I used a short DNS name and that worked. This is SERIOUSLY broken.

Got fed up with, don't know what happened before but now at least the enware package "iputils-ping" is working and replaced my busybox ping.
Code:
# which ping
/opt/bin/ping
# ping -q -c 2 -W 1 -w 3 www.ab-solution.info
PING www.ab-solution.info (80.74.145.2) 56(84) bytes of data.

--- www.ab-solution.info ping statistics ---
2 packets transmitted, 2 received, 0% packet loss, time 1001ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 78.905/79.009/79.113/0.104 ms
I'll leave it at that.

Argh, and even with ping working, absolution still segfaults. The cu option worked in the previous version, I wish I knew why it doesn't like it anymore.

@thelonlycoder

Thanks a lot! One question though: I can't seem to find the file where I used to be able to add my own adblock file source, where did it go? Used to be in /mnt/sda1/adblocking.

Ok, removed the ping line from the script, it worked now. A closer examination of the script shows you're overriding the default path, so busybox's ping is still used in the script, hence the segfault.

@thelonlycoder

Thanks a lot! One question though: I can't seem to find the file where I used to be able to add my own adblock file source, where did it go? Used to be in /mnt/sda1/adblocking.
Have you enabled the custom hosts file?
If yes, change to standard and change again to custom, it will be regenerated if not present. It also tells you the exact name of the file.

Ah yes, forgot to enable the custom file. Thanks a lot!

Now that I think of it, one more question: How exactly does pixelserv work together with the host files? Does it use the same host files as anything else but with the added capability of filtering out https ads or is there more to it?

Ok, removed the ping line from the script, it worked now. A closer examination of the script shows you're overriding the default path, so busybox's ping is still used in the script, hence the segfault.
With that I try to use the system binaries that should work with what I code.

Last edited:
With that I try to use the system binaries that should work with what I code. Cerclejerk.
I understand. Nobody's fault really, it's been a while I noticed busybox is not working right, I guess some issue with the compilation for the ARM models.

Ah yes, forgot to enable the custom file. Thanks a lot!

Now that I think of it, one more question: How exactly does pixelserv work together with the host files? Does it use the same host files as anything else but with the added capability of filtering out https ads or is there more to it?
Pixelserve does not work on it's own. You need to provide it with some food to process. Look at the hosts-adblock file. It points to the PS IP.

Last edited:
So any obstacles to overcome in regards to commands etc was thinking of trying to make ublockr even smaller then 110 lines, thats why i asked my initial question
I did try to use the static binary just to prove it works. It did not and I gave up quickly for other reasons.
I have plans with AB-Solution that will not work with a standalone pixelserv-tls binary.

This morning I got a little time to test a little and playing with black and whitelist, tuning sites adding hosts to white and blacklist. I run into a couple of issue related to this. Often when I use Amazon App on my android devices I get "There is a problem on this page now..." blah blah (or something like this, I translated from italian). No issue if I use mobile data. If I look at logs from absolution I can't see anything related. On PC browsing I have issues with Kataweb pages with slideshows linked from repubblica.it also (for examples this page: http://tvzap.kataweb.it/foto/183326...zioni-vince-silvia-mezzanotte/?ref=HRESS-5#61). I can't scroll more than 2 photos. It works if I disable absolution but I can't track anything from logs.

I use shooter40sw hosts file and got pixelserv-tls enabled in syslog.

Can you give me some tip about logging? Maybe I miss something.

This morning I got a little time to test a little and playing with black and whitelist, tuning sites adding hosts to white and blacklist. I run into a couple of issue related to this. Often when I use Amazon App on my android devices I get "There is a problem on this page now..." blah blah (or something like this, I translated from italian). No issue if I use mobile data. If I look at logs from absolution I can't see anything related. On PC browsing I have issues with Kataweb pages with slideshows linked from repubblica.it also (for examples this page: http://tvzap.kataweb.it/foto/183326...zioni-vince-silvia-mezzanotte/?ref=HRESS-5#61). I can't scroll more than 2 photos. It works if I disable absolution but I can't track anything from logs.

I use shooter40sw hosts file and got pixelserv-tls enabled in syslog.

Can you give me some tip about logging? Maybe I miss something.

Hi, follow the filtered by blocked domains, just saw a few blocked domains there, that must help..

Hi, follow the filtered by blocked domains, just saw a few blocked domains there, that must help..
Good of you to answer, it's your hosts file after all.

I know that. I'm wondering how many people remove / edit the whitelist.
Once created, AB-Solution never touches that file again (exept v3, that added the direct edit option for the user). This file might have served it's purpose through the whole circle of updates I released.

Status
Not open for further replies.