What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.10 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Has anyone with issues done a full reset to factory defaults after flashing the test build and then minimally and manually configuring the router to secure it and connect to their ISP?

QoS - WAN/LAN Bandwidth Monitor page just keeps spinning.
https://imgur.com/a/TLUVuu0

Thanks for the screenshot. I thought you were referring to the Traffic Monitor page.

This page is currently struggling with Asus inserting FAQ links to non-existing pages on their support site. I tried pointing at a different page that does exist, but apparently that didn't resolve the issue...

Fixed. When changing the broken URL, I accidentally changed the mainline URL generation code to the slightly different code used by the 88ax branch. Reverted the code change, while keeping the fixed URL.

No one will give you their password. RMerlin was being sarcastic and having a little fun at the same time (April 1st! Get it?). ;)

See the previous posts right after your original rather forward, request. At least one reply offers the proper way to achieve what you need (not what you want).

lost in translation
Of a word or words, having lost or lacking the full subtlety of meaning or significance when translated from the original language to another, especially when done literally. (Usually formulated as "be/get lost in translation.") My friend tried explaining a few French idioms to me, but I'm afraid they were lost in translation. Online translation tools are pretty amazing, but a lot gets lost in translation this way.
:D

Being an expat, I experience lost in translation very often. It can be fun and I roll with it.

Bernard Shaw once said that America and England were two great nations separated by the same language.

"I speak four languages," proudly boasted the door man of a hotel in Rome to an American guest. "Yes, four - Italian, French, English, and American."

Last edited:
Noob question:

Is it possible to have OpenVPN Server and Client running at the same time?

I currently have my OpenVPN client connected to ExpressVPN and would like to configure OpenVPN server so that I can connect to it when I'm outside the house in order to benefit from everything I have installed on my network (Diversion, Stubby, etc).

My ASUS is also behind my ISP router (double NAT). I currently use the ISP router as my "Guest" network rather than setting up another one on my ASUS.
Yes, OpenVPN Server and Client can coexist. The instructions are not updated for the most recent firmware but you should be able to work through it. I will update them when I return home next week and have access to my router.

https://x3mtek.com/openvpn-server-setup-instructions-for-asuswrt-merlin/

I used to Double-NAT as the ISP supplies a modem/router and the firmware is locked down and lacks functionality. I then realized they have a setting called bridge mode. This shuts down the router function and turns it into a modem. I then connect an Ethernet cable from the modem/router LAN port to the WAN port of my router. You have to provide the ISP credentials in your router and not the modem/router box provided by the ISP. Much better setup.

upload_2019-4-2_20-23-56.png

...also, probably should be "clients' "

Thanks for pointing it out.
Didn't know about this for years using Asus-merlin. seems that I have to stick to current version till it dies.

Or just buy a currently supported model and put yours for sale. ;)

QoS - WAN/LAN Bandwidth Monitor page just keeps spinning.
https://imgur.com/a/TLUVuu0
yea I definitely experienced this I just went back to 348.10------- I did three factory resets and tried going back and the problem still persist. not to mention issues with web history page.

yea I definitely experienced this I just went back to 348.10------- I did three factory resets and tried going back and the problem still persist. not to mention issues with web history page.
Merlin already found the issue and solved it :)

I used to Double-NAT as the ISP supplies a modem/router and the firmware is locked down and lacks functionality. I then realized they have a setting called bridge mode. This shuts down the router function and turns it into a modem. I then connect an Ethernet cable from the modem/router LAN port to the WAN port of my router. You have to provide the ISP credentials in your router and not the modem/router box provided by the ISP. Much better setup.
I successfully managed to put my ISP's router/modem into bridge mode as well. Now I need to figure out what the best approach is to securely SSH remotely into my router. :confused:

Have done update to my RT-68U. I rebooted and the firmware page flashes the '!' indicating firmware is available- but version shows updated version. I clicked 'update firmware' (after clicking the '!') a couple times and nothing. Then clicked 'check for firmware' and the '!' stops flashing.

I did a power cycle... hoping that might clear it, and went through the same steps/results.

Still shows updated firmware version and the '!' is not flashing... but still seems like something was not right as the process to clear it is unorthodox...

Anyone had similar issues/solutions? I searched the thread and didn't find anything...

Thanks all...

I successfully managed to put my ISP's router/modem into bridge mode as well. Now I need to figure out what the best approach is to securely SSH remotely into my router. :confused:

Use OpenVPN (or any other VPN you trust) to enter your network. Then, only SSH from within it. ;)

Have done update to my RT-68U. I rebooted and the firmware page flashes the '!' indicating firmware is available- but version shows updated version. I clicked 'update firmware' (after clicking the '!') a couple times and nothing. Then clicked 'check for firmware' and the '!' stops flashing.

I did a power cycle... hoping that might clear it, and went through the same steps/results.

Still shows updated firmware version and the '!' is not flashing... but still seems like something was not right as the process to clear it is unorthodox...

Anyone had similar issues/solutions? I searched the thread and didn't find anything...

Thanks all...

What firmware have you installed? If it's not 384.10 release, then it isn't the latest. ;)

Use OpenVPN (or any other VPN you trust) to enter your network. Then, only SSH from within it.
That's precisely what I'm trying to do. I'm currently looking for M&M like instructions to help me through the process. :confused:

That's precisely what I'm trying to do. I'm currently looking for M&M like instructions to help me through the process. :confused:

With what device(s) will you connect back to your network with?