What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.10 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

My iPhone, iPad, and MacBook Pro mostly.

Okay, not my area of comfort! :)

But as an overview, go to the VPN section on the lefthand side, click on the OpenVPN Server tab, Select Server 1, enable it, and 'Export' the OpenVPN configuration file.

Email this file to yourself and on each device, find the program that works with the .opvn configuration file you download.

https://openvpn.net/community-downloads/

I'm not sure if the above link will help you with your devices? Maybe you have to find them in the store?

It really is that easy though. Once connected with the OpenVPN client, SSH into your router or simply type in the IP address for it into the browser. :)

Reactions: #TY
Okay, not my area of comfort! :)

But as an overview, go to the VPN section on the lefthand side, click on the OpenVPN Server tab, Select Server 1, enable it, and 'Export' the OpenVPN configuration file.

Email this file to yourself and on each device, find the program that works with the .opvn configuration file you download.

https://openvpn.net/community-downloads/

I'm not sure if the above link will help you with your devices? Maybe you have to find them in the store?

It really is that easy though. Once connected with the OpenVPN client, SSH into your router or simply type in the IP address for it into the browser. :)

Thank you for that; I'll certainly check it out.

Xentrk also posted a link that looks helpful:
https://x3mtek.com/openvpn-server-setup-instructions-for-asuswrt-merlin/

Once I get this working, then my Lan will be connecting to ExpressVPN, and when Im away from home, Ill be connecting remotely to my OpenVPN Server and taking advantage of all the goodies I just installed on the router (that's the idea anyhow lol :)

That's precisely what I'm trying to do. I'm currently looking for M&M like instructions to help me through the process. :confused:

Out of the three minute video, the first minute shows the actual setup of OpenVPN Server 1, and the last two minutes shows how to setup a Windows Client to use the server.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK29dMnRDC8

The ASUS hyper links may be useful, although out of date ( e.g. compare the Windows client setup in the video with the ASUS Windows client link!)

upload_2019-4-3_7-51-3.png

@Xentrk's clear step-by-step instructions are very good if you want to customise the configuration, but sometimes a quick video is better as an overview.

NOTE: Both the video and Xentrk's screen-shots are out of date as it is difficult to keep up with GUI changes...sorry Xentrk to give you additional work, but 'Push LAN to clients' is now obsolete;)

Last edited:
384.10 is the firmware showing

If you're already showing bugs and glitches like this, I would recommend a full M&M Config.

Please see my signature for the link and further info. The goal with this config is to reset the router fully with the new/desired firmware installed and minimally and manually configure it (do not use a saved backup file) to secure it and connect to your ISP.

This will ensure the router is in a good/known state. Right now, it is not.

If you're already showing bugs and glitches like this, I would recommend a full M&M Config.

Please see my signature for the link and further info. The goal with this config is to reset the router fully with the new/desired firmware installed and minimally and manually configure it (do not use a saved backup file) to secure it and connect to your ISP.

This will ensure the router is in a good/known state. Right now, it is not.
Actually I think this is a bug that's lined up for a fix, let me see if I can find the source of that thought

Edit: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...10-is-now-available.55742/page-19#post-476800
Code:
 2bc62226a6 rc: reset new firmware notification flag in case update check fails to run post-upgrade
could be it?

An M&M config would solve this, yes, but I think in this case it might not be required

NOTE: Both the video and Xentrk's screen-shots are out of date as it is difficult to keep up with GUI changes...sorry Xentrk to give you additional work, but 'Push LAN to clients' is now obsolete;)
On my to do list when I return home next week. I shut down power to my network before I left so I can't remote in to take updated screen shots. I am also several versions behind myself and need to get caught up. Should be able up to have everything updated no later than 13 April.

UPDATE:

I got the OpenVPN Server to work on my router (the videos and links you guys posted were awesome and it was really simple). In order to take advantage of Stubby and the other scripts from my devices remotely though, I had go into the Advanced tab of the OpenVPN Server settings and simply switch Advertise DNS to clients to Yes.

Also Important: I also had to Turn Port Forwarding on in the Firewall and select OpenVPN Server and point it to my router.

Remaining challenge: If my OpenVPN Client is on (connected to ExpressVPN), I cannot connect to the OpenVPN Server remotely. I tried changing the DDNS IP setting from Internal to External but same result, I still cannot connect. The only way to connect remotely for now is to turn off my OpenVPN Client (ExpressVPN) on the router.

My objective is to keep all the LAN as private and secure as possible (hence ExpressVPN), AND to allow me to take advantage of my Lan when I'm away.

Any ideas? Thanks again to all in advance. We're almost there :)

UPDATE:

I got the OpenVPN Server to work on my router (the videos and links you guys posted were awesome and it was really simple). In order to take advantage of Stubby and the other scripts from my devices remotely though, I had go into the Advanced tab of the OpenVPN Server settings and simply switch Advertise DNS to clients to Yes.

Also Important: I also had to Turn Port Forwarding on in the Firewall and select OpenVPN Server and point it to my router.

Remaining challenge: If my OpenVPN Client is on (connected to ExpressVPN), I cannot connect to the OpenVPN Server remotely. I tried changing the DDNS IP setting from Internal to External but same result, I still cannot connect. The only way to connect remotely for now is to turn off my OpenVPN Client (ExpressVPN) on the router.

My objective is to keep all the LAN as private and secure as possible (hence ExpressVPN), AND to allow me to take advantage of my Lan when I'm away.

Any ideas? Thanks again to all in advance. We're almost there :)

Do you have 'Redirect Internet traffic=ALL' for the VPN Client or something similar in functionality?

Flashed RT-AC86U From 384.10 to 384.10_1-g9410bcd604.

Set JFFS partition to format on next boot, Factory reset and manually reconfigured settings

The settings I use are

VPN client with Express VPN
Enable Manual Assignment on DHCP Server page
Traffic Analyzer, Adaptive QoS and AIProtection

All works as expected except for Bandwidth Monitor which does not load

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I recently updated to a RT-AC5300 from a AC3200 and while setting up my network from scratch saw the Network Map Client issue which causes client detection unreliable. I know that it's a bug from Asus but I used this opportunity to contact Asus Support to file a Ticket about the problem and after several emails, they finally sent the report to engineering and this morning Asus emailed me an acknowledgment of the issue and the reply with a ETA of new firmware - 2 weeks.

I have changed back to 384.8.2 as some of my clients such as my Ring doorbell and Floodlight had problems with both 384.9 and 10 connecting. DHCP saw them but for some reason faulted when connecting.

Anyway, wanted to report the new firmware from Asus. I only hope they fix it right and don't introduce any new issues.

Rew

Yes, it is currently set to All.
"Computers only do want you tell them to do, which isn't necessarily always what you want them to do."

If the OpenVPN server accepts a connection from the WAN (unless your VPN ISP supports/allows inbound unsolicited requests) via your external DDNS IP, where do you think the reply is sent?....yup via the VPN Client... as you have demanded where ALL LAN traffic (and the router is on your LAN - correct?) should be obfuscated/sent.

So either enable Selective Routing for the VPN Client, and manually invert the table entries so that everything on the LAN goes out via the VPN Client, except the router's traffic i.e services it is hosting e.g. OpenVPN or use Advanced Port Selective Routing for the outbound OpenVPN traffic (Port 1194) via the WAN.

Reactions: #TY
"Computers only do want you tell them to do, which isn't necessarily always what you want them to do."

If the OpenVPN server accepts a connection from the WAN (unless your VPN ISP supports/allows inbound unsolicited requests) via your external DDNS IP, where do you think the reply is sent?....yup via the VPN Client... as you have demanded where ALL LAN traffic (and the router is on your LAN - correct?) should be obfuscated/sent.

So either enable Selective Routing for the VPN Client, and manually invert the table entries so that everything on the LAN goes out via the VPN Client, except the router's traffic i.e services it is hosting e.g. OpenVPN or use Advanced Port Selective Routing for the outbound OpenVPN traffic (Port 1194) via the WAN.
:oops:

Sorry, this is all new to me :(

Updated 384.10_1-g9410bcd604 on my RT-AC87u
OpenVPN server working fine
"QoS - WAN/LAN Bandwidth Monitor page just keeps spinning" Happens here also, But it displays properly if you press default then show all

Is this what you mean? Thank you once again :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-03 at 2.15.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-03 at 2.15.55 PM.png
    110.9 KB · Views: 500
Is this what you mean? Thank you once again :)
Yes.

So does it work by still directing ALL LAN traffic out via the VPN, but now allows you to connect to your OpenVPN server from a device preferably not connected to your LAN.

Yes.

So does it work by still directing ALL LAN traffic out via the VPN, but now allows you to connect to your OpenVPN server from a device preferably not connected to your LAN.

Everything works!! THANK YOU SO MUCH :) :) :) :)

I think once I'm done, I will backup everything on this router and write up a How To for Dummies like me detailing Step by Step what needs to be done. You guys are unbelievably amazing. I can't thank this forum enough.

The only left for me to do for now is install SkyNet. I'm trusting nothing will blow up after getting this far. :D

Everything works!! THANK YOU SO MUCH :) :) :) :)

I think once I'm done, I will backup everything on this router and write up a How To for Dummies like me detailing Step by Step what needs to be done. You guys are unbelievably amazing. I can't thank this forum enough.

The only left for me to do for now is install SkyNet. I'm trusting nothing will blow up after getting this far. :D
Skynet shouldn't break anything you have going. Just start slow. Add features and test before going all in. ;):)