What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.10 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

So I installed 384.10 and it has the same problem with my Sony Bravia X930E Android TV as 384.9 does.

The TV frequently wakes from sleep when off (about once a minute) and opens a bunch of outbound network connections. These continue to grow the longer the TV is left off until eventually the TV complains the network is down which happens when it can no longer access the Internet for any reason (it maintains a constant link to Google’s servers). It’s been about 9 hours since I turned my TV off and there are 50 active network connections for the TV alone.

With 384.8_2 the TV still wakes up and makes outbound connections, but the connections close within a minute so the number of open connections doesn’t keep growing. They never go over around 25.

Last edited:
From what I've understood here, if you're using Stubby, your VPN DNS should be set to disabled otherwise you are not using Stubby but rather your VPN provider's DNS.

My primary connection is over VPN and with DNS strict all traffic goes through VPN. If for whatever reason VPN disconnects, Stubby takes over. This is how it works. Just because you have Stubby you dont need to set DNS too disabled.

Since this version, my Samsung s7 edge always connects and disconnects from the wifi (2,4 Ghz).
After reconnect the wifi is connected for about 30sec than the connection is dropped again. (Rt 86u)
Any Idea?

RT-AC5300 384.10
Had to transfer 50GB to network drive running through the router usb 3.0 router slot. Internet ground to a slow crawl. Logged into the router and found both cpu cores running in the high 90's to 100%, and ram was also pegged out or at 96% min.
This was a critical multi-file transfer, so I had to wait for it to finish. Once it was done (or if I hit the file transfer pause?), normal router operation resumed.
In the past, this has never happened while transfering files. It used a goodly portion of router assets, but nothing like this. Modem operation was never an issue, so the glacial internet provisioning was strictly a router issue. I noted that the logs appeared to be nominal, with no strangeness noted.
After the transfer finished, I rebooted modem, router, and PC. Normal indications resumed, with cpu's at 3-5% and 55% ram used...

Since this version, my Samsung s7 edge always connects and disconnects from the wifi (2,4 Ghz).
After reconnect the wifi is connected for about 30sec than the connection is dropped again. (Rt 86u)
Any Idea?
Set the modulation type to this and it should work:

Attachments

• ASUS Wireless Router RT AX88U   Professional.png
    ASUS Wireless Router RT AX88U Professional.png
    22.5 KB · Views: 457
RT-AC5300 384.10
Had to transfer 50GB to network drive running through the router usb 3.0 router slot. Internet ground to a slow crawl. Logged into the router and found both cpu cores running in the high 90's to 100%, and ram was also pegged out or at 96% min.
This was a critical multi-file transfer, so I had to wait for it to finish. Once it was done (or if I hit the file transfer pause?), normal router operation resumed.
In the past, this has never happened while transfering files. It used a goodly portion of router assets, but nothing like this. Modem operation was never an issue, so the glacial internet provisioning was strictly a router issue. I noted that the logs appeared to be nominal, with no strangeness noted.
After the transfer finished, I rebooted modem, router, and PC. Normal indications resumed, with cpu's at 3-5% and 55% ram used...

USB 3.0 uses a lot of CPU cycles, as you saw first hand. Today's routers have barely enough for Gbps WAN/LAN and LAN/WAN use, even with quad-core 1.8GHz or higher CPU's and 1GB RAM. That is the reason a proper NAS is needed for heavy disk usage over the network.

Does the RT-AC5300 have the option to disable flushing of the RAM in Tools, Other Settings? Would a spare USB drive with a swap file help the next time you needed to transfer a large amount like now? This might be a test scenario that interests you.

The 'fix' of course is to use a proper NAS though. Until we have big Intel 'core' based routers with greater than 4GB of RAM, this will be the general reality when using the USB ports on them.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ac86u-smb-tweaking.44729/

The link above may be helpful to you? I don't know if it is applicable to your model directly, but the transfer improvements may leave your network in a stalled state for considerably less time.

How did you revert back? Is there a thorough procedure to follow?
No, flash back and reset only if you have to. ;):)

Normally as if you’re upgrading..just choose the corresponding firmware.

So just re-upload the 384.9 over the 384.10 and reboot the router?

No, flash back and reset only if you have to.
Oh man, I just finished doing the cleanest, most comprehensive reset of my router as per the detailed instructions found on these forums. It's quite the chore but so far, everything seems rock solid. :D

Any Idea?

Zero change to the RT-AC86U wireless code in 384.10, so unrelated to this release.

IKEv2 issue in RT-AC5300

VPN Server IPSec IKEv2 does not work for my since I upgraded to 384.10. My clients are iOS devices (iPhones and iPads). With prior version 384.9 all work perfectly. My custom scripts are same from here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-ipsec-vpn-server.44973/#post-473984

Downgrading to 384.9 makes IKEv2 works again.

Based on what RMerlin wrote above, it seems like your router needs to be flashed to 384.10 and then perform a full M&M Config to bring it to a good/known state. ;)

Zero change to the RT-AC86U wireless code in 384.10, so unrelated to this release.
Nethertheless I have problems to establish a stable wifi connection I go back to. 09 version an will test the stability. The modulation was changed but it seems to be a little bit better but not solved. I will keep you informed...

I always get this log. I sit in front to the router. other clients have the same problem. The connection is excellent

18:09:26 WLCEVENTD: eth5: Disassoc D8:96:95:28:44:01
Mar 30 18:09:27 WLCEVENTD: eth5: Assoc D8:96:95:28:44:01
Mar 30 18:10:00 rc_service: service 8856:notify_rc restart_letsencrypt
Mar 30 18:10:25 WLCEVENTD: eth5: Disassoc D8:96:95:28:44:01
Mar 30 18:10:54 WLCEVENTD: eth5: Assoc D8:96:95:28:44:01
Mar 30 18:11:23 WLCEVENTD: eth5: Disassoc D8:96:95:28:44:01
Mar 30 18:15:00 rc_service: service 9054:notify_rc restart_letsencrypt
Mar 30 18:16:23 WLCEVENTD: eth5: Assoc 4C:66:41:63:47:1B
Mar 30 18:16:32 WLCEVENTD: eth5: Disassoc 4C:66:41:63:47:1B
Mar 30 18:16:32 WLCEVENTD: eth5: Disassoc 4C:66:41:63:47:1B

OK. So I've just spent hours resetting and flashing my router to ensure that my 384.10 install was as clean and perfect as possible.

All was going well up until I got the dreaded "Internet Disconnected" problem again 5 minutes ago. This time though, I managed to captured all the SystemLog and it shows some errors and warnings that can possibly point to the source of the trouble. The problem is I'm not knowledgeable enough to understand properly and was wondering if someone here can take a look if I provide a txt file with the log output. It looks like the issue may be linked to the OpenVPN in my situation.

Thanks in advance.

OK. So I've just spent hours resetting and flashing my router to ensure that my 384.10 install was as clean and perfect as possible.

All was going well up until I got the dreaded "Internet Disconnected" problem again 5 minutes ago. This time though, I managed to captured all the SystemLog and it shows some errors and warnings that can possibly point to the source of the trouble. The problem is I'm not knowledgeable enough to understand properly and was wondering if someone here can take a look if I provide a txt file with the log output. It looks like the issue may be linked to the OpenVPN in my situation.

Thanks in advance.
Do you have this setting enabled and is your VPN up or down when this happens?

Attachments

• ASUS Wireless Router RT AX88U   OpenVPN Client Settings.png
    ASUS Wireless Router RT AX88U OpenVPN Client Settings.png
    13.2 KB · Views: 364
Do you have this setting enabled and is your VPN up or down when this happens?
Where do you find this setting?

When everything went down, my OpenVPN status still said it was connected.