What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.10 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Noob question:

Is it possible to have OpenVPN Server and Client running at the same time?

I currently have my OpenVPN client connected to ExpressVPN and would like to configure OpenVPN server so that I can connect to it when I'm outside the house in order to benefit from everything I have installed on my network (Diversion, Stubby, etc).

My ASUS is also behind my ISP router (double NAT). I currently use the ISP router as my "Guest" network rather than setting up another one on my ASUS.

Thanks. That seems probably tied to the fix I did this weekend, which would revert the CA, as well as server key and cert if any of these three were missing.

Was it on Server 1 or 2?

Thanks a lot. I will try this week and post my findings. I used my own certs/keys on server1. Tried the Asus Version on server2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OpenVPN server, there was no change to the client code.

There are a few other minor fixes, like the broken Moviestar support, or the missing tooltip on the Other Settings page.

Code:
9410bcd604 (HEAD -> mainline) Merge branch 'master' into mainline
ac3190bf98 (master) Updated documentation
a3abf470a7 httpd: validate correct variable in websRedirect*() (backport from 384_5948)
ce29820072 (origin/master, origin/HEAD) rc: openvpn: only re-generate server CA if it's missing, ignore server key/cert
c2d2fd7890 rc: openvpn: increase interface queue length from 100 to 1000 bytes
9f7da28be1 webui: fix typo in local DNS resolution setting's tooltip
8e7045e066 Updated documentation
3dfa990152 webui: set Bandwidth Monitor FAQ URL to old one, new one is MIA on Asus servers
7a783fff91 webui: fix missing space in Wireless Log flags legend
2bc62226a6 rc: reset new firmware notification flag in case update check fails to run post-upgrade
33ab4d7550 (origin/mainline) webui: fix Wireless Client layout for some models without Phy/NSS/BW report capabilities
aac833dabd webui: added tooltip to the "Use local caching" Tools setting
def11e32da Bumped revision to 384.10_1
1f35105eca quagga: drop obsolete config samples

Does this part mean that the CA I entered (4096 bit) was too long and cut off, rendering it invalid and then replaced by the Asus key?:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello,

Since the 384.10 update my upload speed have decreased from 400Mbps to 100Mbps as MAX. Any ideas behind it?

Asuswrt-Merlin 384.10 is now available for all supported models. The focus of this release was the partial migration to OpenSSL 1.1.1 (not all services can be migrated by me, as some would require Asus to recompile them against OpenSSL 1.1.1).

The highlight:
  • Added OpenSSL 1.1.1b in parallel to 1.0.2. The most relevant services linked against 1.1.1:
    o httpd (the webui)
    o OpenVPN
    o In-a-dyn
    o Strongswan
    o Netatalk
    o vsftpd
    o net-snmp
    o Tor
    o wget

The userspace "openssl" tool is called openssl11.
  • Merged with GPL 384_5640 (RT-AX88U)
  • Updated components: OpenSSL 1.0 (1.0.2r), OpenVPN (2.4.7), curl (7.64.0), Tor (0.3.5.8), Strongswan (5.7.2). dnsmasq (2.80-g6799320)
  • Fixed Samba compatibility issue with recent Tuxera NTFS driver.
  • Fixed NFSv2 support (and enabled on HND models).
  • Enhancements to OpenVPN key/certs storage and management
  • Enhancements to Classification page, which should be faster, and offer filtering
  • Various other fixes and tweaks

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.
Well - on a RT-AC66U_B1 is still shows the old version (384.9) after an upgrade and reboot. Tried this twice now with the same result. Also - following this, CPU Core 1 stays at 100% either for AGES or for ever. It's still there, quite a long while after the upgrade attempt. Core 2 runs very low (<5%).

Well - on a RT-AC66U_B1 is still shows the old version (384.9) after an upgrade and reboot. Tried this twice now with the same result. Also - following this, CPU Core 1 stays at 100% either for AGES or for ever. It's still there, quite a long while after the upgrade attempt. Core 2 runs very low (<5%).
This begs for a reset to defaults and hand configure, after the flash. ;):)

Not sure if I should start a new thread for this but I'm having an issue with this firmware version and the RT-AX88U. I just got this router and after updating to the latest Asus firmware I then flashed to Merlin. Everything works fine except my 5 GHz radio. I normally use Smart Connect (I know it's known to not work very well but it's always worked fine for me on my RT-AC3200 with default rules. Small house). With smart connect I rarely see any clients connect on the 5 GHz band, they always want to stay on 2.4 GHz. I turned of roaming assistant, beam forming, changed the rule, etc... and no difference. I then tried to separate the 2.4 and 5 GHz, giving them different SSID, the 5 GHz would not even show up on my available network list on multiple devices tested.

I thought it was the router so I flashed it back to Asus firmware getting ready to take it back and boom it worked fine on the factory firmware. I even flashed it back to Merlin again after wiping the router to factory default and had the same issue. I'm currently running on the Asus firmware. Anyone else seen this?

Also noticed the signal strength with the RT-AX88U is a bit weaker with this router then my RT-AC3200, same device same location will show -65 dBm vs -60 dBm respectively. Multiple devices have similar results.

What's on line 37?
Starting at line 32:

32 nvram = {
33 wan_ifname: '',
34 cstats_enable: '1',
35 lan_ipaddr: '192.168.0.1',
36 lan_netmask: '255.255.255.0',
37 dhcp_staticlist: 'long list if my static IP settings and MAC addresses here. I didn't want to post my network here.',
38 http_id: 'TIDe855a6487043d70a'};

The error is "missing } after property list", but there is clearly a closing } on line 38. The list on line 37 is over 1400 characters long. Also, there are spaces in some of the host names (as allowed by the DHCP GUI on the router). Could it be the length or the spaces?

Update. Since the router pulls the host name from the device, if possible, some of the devices have an apostrophe in their name (Like Allan's iPad). I'm editing the device names in the static DHCP section and will remove all spaces and apostrophes and report back.

Update: issue resolved.
Would it be possible to check for illegal characters and automatically do a substitution? The use case is:

User turns on LAN: DCHP Server: Enable Manual Assignment.
User pick's a Mac Address from the list and assign's an IP address.
The system set's the host name, but the host name has illegal characters.
The system should auto substitute legal characters.

Last edited:
Does this part mean that the CA I entered (4096 bit) was too long and cut off, rendering it invalid and then replaced by the Asus key?:

No, this change is strictly related to the network interface, it's unrelated to key/certificates.

Dirty upgrade a AC68 from previous general release. All working fine [emoji106]

Enviado desde mi Moto Z2 Play mediante Tapatalk

Would it be possible to check for illegal characters and automatically do a substitution?

Too many areas of the code that would require such substitutions. The most common cases are already covered, and the DHCP reservation page already rejects invalid characters if you try to enter them. If you have a network device that allows the use of an invalid character in its hostname then that device is the one that needs fixing.

Not sure if I should start a new thread for this but I'm having an issue with this firmware version and the RT-AX88U. I just got this router and after updating to the latest Asus firmware I then flashed to Merlin. Everything works fine except my 5 GHz radio. I normally use Smart Connect (I know it's known to not work very well but it's always worked fine for me on my RT-AC3200 with default rules. Small house). With smart connect I rarely see any clients connect on the 5 GHz band, they always want to stay on 2.4 GHz. I turned of roaming assistant, beam forming, changed the rule, etc... and no difference. I then tried to separate the 2.4 and 5 GHz, giving them different SSID, the 5 GHz would not even show up on my available network list on multiple devices tested.

I thought it was the router so I flashed it back to Asus firmware getting ready to take it back and boom it worked fine on the factory firmware. I even flashed it back to Merlin again after wiping the router to factory default and had the same issue. I'm currently running on the Asus firmware. Anyone else seen this?

Also noticed the signal strength with the RT-AX88U is a bit weaker with this router then my RT-AC3200, same device same location will show -65 dBm vs -60 dBm respectively. Multiple devices have similar results.

You need to flash to the RMerlin firmware first and then do a full reset to factory defaults (an M&M Config, please see my signature below for the links and further details to do this properly and fully).

I would recommend you do not follow the previous defaults you have on your much older/different RT-AC3200. The new hardware may require new processes. :)

Unplugged all USB devices and still failed upgrading. The same symptom. Also tried to flash 384.9_0, same failure.

I didn't find related info from System log.

Unplug all USB devices and reboot the router. ;)

Unplug all USB devices and reboot the router. ;)
Just did this way, still no luck

After failed flashing, I found all "Clients" disappear (Shows "Clients 0" on Network Map page), but all my devices have access to Internet.

Just did this way, still no luck

Unplug all WAN and LAN Ethernet cables from the router.

Do a hard reboot. Unplug the ac power from the router (not the power plug from the wall).

Wait for 2 minutes.

Power on the router and leave it for 5 to 10 minutes to allow it to settle. The CPU cores should be 0-2%.

Make sure you have downloaded the correct firmware for your Asus model. Make sure you have also checked the sha256sum.sha256 of the unzipped firmware.

Flash the firmware, it should now 'take'.

Just uploaded the new Beta. Dirty upgrade and all seemed well. Page by page inspection found the the QoS - WAN/LAN Bandwidth Monitor page will not load or track wan traffic in any way. QoS seems to have been rendered inop??