What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.7 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

1)

I've noticed that my NTP setting is off. I've set it correctly (US East Coast, GMT -5), but all the logs claim the current time is an hour ago. Might have been that way before the upgrade. Dunno.

2)

I use tunnelbroker.net for an IPv6 tunnel -- and their DDNS service to keep the tunnel endpoint working, but there's nothing about their service that provides me a dynamic hostname assigned to my DHCP address in a DNS some place. In other words: there's nothing DNS about it. It's only to keep the tunnel connection routed. If I want DDNS in the way most people think of it (and I do), I'll need to use another DDNS service in addition.

But the UI won't let me have more than one DDNS provider. If I try to configure the asuscomm client for example, the UI expects my hostname to be the same thing for both DDNS providers. And Tunnelbroker insists that the hostname be their assigned id number for my IPv6 tunnel. So unless I want to be :tunnelbrokeridnumber:.assuscomm.com... (or any other domain name), all of us are kinda scrod there.

Last edited:
1)

I've noticed that my NTP setting is off. I've set it correctly (US East Coast, GMT -5), but all the logs claim the current time is an hour ago. Might have been that way before the upgrade. Dunno.

2)

I use tunnelbroker.net for an IPv6 tunnel -- and their DDNS service to keep the tunnel endpoint working, but there's nothing about their service that provides me a dynamic hostname in a DNS some place. It's only to keep the tunnel connection routed. so while it uses a dynamic dns service to update a ip address table, it's not to provide DNS Service..If I want DDNS, I need to use another one in addition to this.

But the UI won't let me have more than one DDNS provider. If I try to configure the asuscomm client for example, the UI expects my hostname to be the same thing in both configurations. And Tunnelbroker insists that it be their assigned id number for the IPv6 tunnel. So unless I want to be tunnelbrokeridnumber.assuscomm.com... (or any other dynamic dns service), all of us are kinda scrod there.
Double check the daylight savings settings. Im east coast as well and still usimg 384.5 but its always wrong upto this version at least

Like the second sunday of oct etc etc settings. Those are always not correct for me

1)

2)

I use tunnelbroker.net for an IPv6 tunnel -- and their DDNS service to keep the tunnel endpoint working, but there's nothing about their service that provides me a dynamic hostname assigned to my DHCP address in a DNS some place. In other words: there's nothing DNS about it. It's only to keep the tunnel connection routed. If I want DDNS in the way most people think of it (and I do), I'll need to use another DDNS service in addition.

But the UI won't let me have more than one DDNS provider. If I try to configure the asuscomm client for example, the UI expects my hostname to be the same thing for both DDNS providers. And Tunnelbroker insists that the hostname be their assigned id number for my IPv6 tunnel. So unless I want to be :tunnelbrokeridnumber:.assuscomm.com... (or any other domain name), all of us are kinda scrod there.
Maybe you can find something here
https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/DDNS-services

Looks like I can create a custom script if necessary. That might do it. Doubt it can get the LetsEncrypt cert that way, but it's better than nothing. Still the UI really shouldn't make such an assumption.

I was happy to initially see the change to using https on this. It forces everyone using tunnelbroker.net to change their credentials, but at least the new way follows the right and proper way practically every other router would use for the purpose.

To add to Marco's post: I have had troubles mounting 3 identical SanDisk Ultra Fit 32 GB USB 3.0 drives on 3 different Asus routers (RT-AC86U, RT-AC68U, RT-AC56U) when put in the USB 3 port and USB 3 mode enabled.

Unfortunately I can't remember whether I formatted the routers (ext4) via Ubuntu or the router itself, but I believe it's actually a mix (at least one formatted via Ubuntu and another via the router).

Double check the daylight savings settings. Im east coast as well and still usimg 384.5 but its always wrong upto this version at least

Like the second sunday of oct etc etc settings. Those are always not correct for me

That was exactly it. ty. It had DST ending 2nd sunday of October (yesterday). Not first Sunday of November (as in the US)

Regarding usb drives, i use "SanDisk Extreme 32 GB USB Flash Drive USB 3.0" on my RT-AC86U and previously on my RT-AC68U, formatted using 'MiniTool Partition Wizard' using EXT4 in my Windows bootcamp environment. Been using same USB drives for 4 years without any issues.

Regarding usb drives, i use "SanDisk Extreme 32 GB USB Flash Drive USB 3.0" on my RT-AC86U and previously on my RT-AC68U, formatted using 'MiniTool Partition Wizard' using EXT4 in my Windows bootcamp environment. Been using same USB drives for 4 years without any issues.

In which mode?

In which mode?
Just checked as not changed that setting in long time. Set to USB 3.0 mode. Drive is also plugged in to USB 3 port on router.

I also never remove the usb drive from the usb port, ever. ie. when upgrading firmware i just keep them plugged in even though i know it's recommended to remove when upgrading firmware etc, but never had problems myself.

I also never have used the Health Scanner on router or formatted through the router web-gui.

Last edited:
Hi all,
Just a quick and hopefully simple question from me.
I'm at work and want to upgrade to 384.7 remotely and my question is, will I have to change anything with regards to my DDNS address that I use to access the router after it reboots itself?

Cheers all,

Nathan

Hi all,
Just a quick and hopefully simple question from me.
I'm at work and want to upgrade to 384.7 remotely and my question is, will I have to change anything with regards to my DDNS address that I use to access the router after it reboots itself?

Don't do a remote upgrade. Sometimes, a manual power cycle is required to complete the reboot.

So either I'm doing something wrong or there's something else going on.

For a few years now, I have had a 32GB Sandisk Cruzer connected to the USB 2.0 (entware, diversion, skynet, pixelserv-tls, swap file., etc.) and a 2 TB WDC WD20 EZRX-00DC0B0 in a USB 3.0 powered enclosure, and the router with the USB 3.0 mode enabled.
I have noticed that by opening a shared folder contained in the WD disk before reboot, the disk mounts everytime. It may be somehow related to whether the disk is hibernating or not upon rebooting the router.

It's now moved to Network Map Page, click on the circular USB button and on the right side you'll see "External USB disk status" page the last option is USB Mode.
I still don't see it. The tabs are Information, Health Scanner, and Format. No mention anywhere of USB 3.0 mode.

I still don't see it. The tabs are Information, Health Scanner, and Format. No mention anywhere of USB 3.0 mode.

It should be here, on the right, after clicking the circular icon:
PFLj4YB.png

No, it's also present in 384.7 beta (if you have a supported model).
I found it, I inserted a 3.0 stick in the port and it showed up, which makes complete sense. I'm not sure why I thought it would show up without any USB drive in the port. :)

If that's the case, I can only say, I am (and I believe others as well) experiencing the opposite. I've seen lots of users report USB drives failing in USB 3.0 mode yet being able to mount it when switching to USB 2.0 mode.

I've tried (at least) the following USB drives over the past months in USB 3.0 mode and they will all fail to mount:

Kingston DataTraveler 64Gb USB 3.0 (DTSE9G2/64GB
Kingston DataTraveler 16GB USB 3.0 (DTSE9G2/16GB)
Sandisk Ultra Flair 64GB USB 3.0 (SDCZ73-064G-G46)
Sandisk Extreme GO 64GB USB 3.0
Philips Circle 64GB USB 3.0 (FM64FD145B/10)

These drives will however work in USB 2.0 mode (but consequently with lower transfer speeds).

All of these USB drives:
  • were purchased new and specifically to be used on my RT-AC68U
  • were partitioned on the router. Existing default partition was removed using fdisk, a new partition (type 83, Linux) was created, covering the maximum size (fdisk default for first and list block).
  • were formatted on the router using mke2fs -t ext4 -L <name> /dev/sdaX and with mke2fs -t ext2 -L <name> /dev/sdaX. So no 'esoteric partition schemes' used whatsoever.
  • were partitioned and formatted with Minitool Partition Wizard on Windows, by deleting the existing partition and creating one, full sized partition where both ext2 and ext4 have been tried.
  • had extended filesystem checks using e2fsck when partitioned and formatted on the router.
  • had full surface checks using the Verify Disk option in Minitool Partition Manager.
  • fail in USB 3.0 mode and are only recognized in the USB 2.0 port or in the USB 3.0 port with USB 2.0 mode set.
  • will mount without issues on my laptop using Ubuntu, Linux Mint or Debian 9
  • will be recognized without issues by using Minitool Partition Wizard, on a Windows 10 laptop
Several drives were additionally partitioned and formatted using Ubuntu's Disk Utility, but I can't recall which ones. Not that it matters, but for the sake of completeness. Also, 2 or 3 of these USB drives (again, I can't exactly recall which ones) mount without issues on my previous router, a Netgear R6300v2.

Occasionally they will mount on my RT-AC68U in USB 3.0 mode, either with the preloaded partition coming straight out of their package and on some, rare occasions even with an ext2/ext4 partition, but they will almost certainly fail to mount at the next reboot, so basically unreliable to be used with Entware and other scripts.

In addition to that: I've had several occasions when having another USB drive plugged into the USB2.0 port and when I inserted one of the drives mentioned previously into the USB3.0 port, the USB2.0 LED on the front of my router starting blinking (instead of the USB 3.0 LED) during mounting (on the rare occasions it would actually work). But most of the time, the router just doesn't see the drive inserted into the USB 3.0 port (until I disable 3.0 mode, after that, they'll all just work but at the cost of a lower speed)

So either I'm doing something wrong or there's something else going on.

I have the same problem with the USB 3.0 mode. I use a Kingston DataTraveler III 16Gb USB 3.0.

Need to change to a better working USB memory.... Is there any list of good working ones?