What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.9 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dnsmasq was updated, but I'm not aware of any particular DHCP-related change. I haven't studied the changes its author did however.

Check the system log for any error message.

I don’t see any errors in the General logs. Do I need to turn on some kind of enhanced logging?

I don’t see any errors in the General logs. Do I need to turn on some kind of enhanced logging?

No, errors related to dnsmasq (like running out of IPs in the pool) would be logged.

My report of yet another successful update on what is now an RT-AC68U went into immediate moderation. Is it just me or is the mere mention of the router previously known as "something else" now banned?

No, errors related to dnsmasq (like running out of IPs in the pool) would be logged.

I don’t think it’s running out of ip addresses, but something definitely has changed.

My TV just reported it lost connection again to the Internet despite still reporting it can access my LAN and having an IP address. This happened about an hour after I rebooted it. I don’t know how it determines if it has Internet access or not. It does have an IPv6 address, but so do a number of other devices I have and they are working.

Since updating to 384.9 this has happened at least 3 times: twice where the TV reported loss of Internet, but still had an IP address (it said to check the router for an Internet connection) and once where it had no IP address at all.

I’m not sure what’s going on as disconnecting the Ethernet cable and reconnecting seems to correct this, but this all started after updating to 384.9. Never had a problem before that.

Edit:

I just noticed that the TV is renewing it’s DHCP lease around every 10 or 15 minutes. I have no idea why and that’s definitely excessive, but it shouldn’t cause issues unless the router decides not to respond.

Last edited:
Question regarding this entry in the change log:
- KNOWN ISSUE: dcd process crashing on RT-AC86U (bug in Trend Micro's code, outside of my control).

Do we know for certain this bug affects the RT-AC86U only? Has anyone seen dcd crashes on other models? Asking for a friend ;-)

I decided to downgrade fw to 384.8_2 due to dcd crashes with 384.9. Alls well now.

No idea. Check if there's anything in the dnsmasq manual

Thanks,
I'm using this for now but it's not same as previous, "dhcp-ignore=tag:!known"
Code:
Never offer DHCP service to a machine whose Ethernet
dhcp-host=11:22:33:44:55:66,ignore

No. You will have to avoid that page if you have that many entries.

The best I can do is completely disable that list whenever the list goes beyond a certain length. Beyond that, there's absolutely nothing I can do if someone's network has hundreds of tracked connections at once (something that apparently never came up through a whole month of test builds).

No.

You’re absolutely right. In my case, I didn’t use QOS before on the fast line, but some members here did use all of it at once. When I decided to use QOS that was the point to announce it when it stalled the router.

The list is so dynamic, if you can make it work by dividing it into page 1,2,3, etc etc. ? If this can’t be done then yes please make it work until a certain length. You have my vote :)!

No.
It is what it is. Wifi is made by design I know, but sleeping, waking up and scanning al the time isn’t that great. Steering and more streams helps. Its time for a invisible encrypted targeted beam of light with some access points for miles, speed and privacy. Just thinking out loud ;)..

Thanks again Eric for your work and thinking along...

Last edited:
I have the AX88U and installed Merlin firmware from day one (actually waited to buy until I was sure firmware came to this model too) :) On all firmware (unknown if problem exist on orginal Asus firmware) I get some issues with 5GHz network. Devices disconnects/connects every now and then if Wireless mode is on Auto. No issues at all when on Mixed mode. Maybe it gets fixed when Merlin merge with 384.5640 (it claimes to have improved wifi stability).

Does auto mode cause trouble for anyone else?

BTW it's not that very clear if HE is enabled in mixed mode or not since the option is not visible then.

I don’t think it’s running out of ip addresses, but something definitely has changed.

My TV just reported it lost connection again to the Internet despite still reporting it can access my LAN and having an IP address. This happened about an hour after I rebooted it. I don’t know how it determines if it has Internet access or not. It does have an IPv6 address, but so do a number of other devices I have and they are working.

Since updating to 384.9 this has happened at least 3 times: twice where the TV reported loss of Internet, but still had an IP address (it said to check the router for an Internet connection) and once where it had no IP address at all.

I’m not sure what’s going on as disconnecting the Ethernet cable and reconnecting seems to correct this, but this all started after updating to 384.9. Never had a problem before that.

Edit:

I just noticed that the TV is renewing it’s DHCP lease around every 10 or 15 minutes. I have no idea why and that’s definitely excessive, but it shouldn’t cause issues unless the router decides not to respond.

You can try WIFI and set a static ip on your TV then go to the router and set that ip in your as static aswell.
Hope it helps:)

Im using RT-AX88u and have found issue and fix.
Asus FirmwareVersion 3.0.0.4.384.5640 is working fine, but when I apply Merlin 384.9 firmware, my 5Ghz wireless stops working. No 5Ghz light on router, just seems to be disabled even after factory reset. I found a fix by manually setting the 5Ghz control channel from "Auto" to any number.
Running Merlin now without issue. TY!

Dirty upgrade from 384.8_2 on my RT-AC68U & 384.6 on my RT-AC3200, both with no issues.

Thanks Merlin for your hard work to keep the project on going. :)

Hi@forum,
I tried 5 times to get the download master on this 384.9 version on my rt-ac68u router.
with reset to factory , reset 30 30 30, dirty flash also...
no way, now I have everything runing with the prior version 384.8_2...

On RT-AC87U i not see Download Master, but i can log into it trough web adress, also i not see SSID name for both wifi in system status. After downgrade to 384.7_2 all its ok.

I have the AX88U and installed Merlin firmware from day one (actually waited to buy until I was sure firmware came to this model too) :) On all firmware (unknown if problem exist on orginal Asus firmware) I get some issues with 5GHz network. Devices disconnects/connects every now and then if Wireless mode is on Auto. No issues at all when on Mixed mode. Maybe it gets fixed when Merlin merge with 384.5640 (it claimes to have improved wifi stability).

Does auto mode cause trouble for anyone else?

BTW it's not that very clear if HE is enabled in mixed mode or not since the option is not visible then.

Yes, I brought this up during the beta release and Merlin said that choosing a manual channel (none DFS) would solve the problem.
See here https://www.snbforums.com/posts/462841
and https://www.snbforums.com/posts/462858