What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.9 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Why won't a company like Asus just release the source then when they can get free help? I've never understood this. It's not like releasing say AIMesh will impact intellectual property or would it.. Unless AIMesh software IS their IP.

But the rest? I don't get it.

As I said it is all on ASUS and the closed-source issues that Merlin cannot correct or fix like he used to be able to do. Merlin can only fix what he has access to; the current flaws are inexcusable in my opinion and Merlin cannot correct them. I fully support Eric's efforts but ASUS has really failed with the current firmware releases, in my opinion.
Just to be clear, I am not here to bash ASUS. I have been purchasing ASUS hardware since they first entered the US market. Their hardware has always been 1st-class (except for the RT-AC87U). I'm just very disappointed with their current support, or lack of, for their wireless router platforms. I really believe they are no longer capable of effectively supporting all the platforms they have in the global market. D-link hit that point a very long time ago with really poor hardware too. For me it is just a sad situation that I am now forced to confront.
i did not say you where bashing asus all i am saying is their firmware is not very good any more like it used to be

Just flashed the AC86U over 384.8.2. Seems to be working fine. Will do the AC68U probably tomorrow.
Edit Just flashed the 68u. All seems fine.
Thanks Merlin

Last edited:
i did not say you where bashing asus all i am saying is their firmware is not very good any more like it used to be
I understand what you said and I completely agree with you on the current situation with our ASUS router firmware.

RT-AC68U

"Internet status disconnected" every 5-10 minutes (or randomly) and internet is actually disconnected. Reverting to previous version solves the issue.

Why won't a company like Asus just release the source then when they can get free help? I've never understood this. It's not like releasing say AIMesh will impact intellectual property or would it.. Unless AIMesh software IS their IP.

But the rest? I don't get it.
It is their choice to make and they have. We, or at least I, do not know the global regulatory and commercial issues that ASUS must abide by. All I know is how their decisions affect me. Such is life in the 21st century. They owe me no explanations; therefore, I owe them no allegiance.

Is it any other way to block dhcp outside those in hosts-dnsmasq?
@RMerlin

No idea. Check if there's anything in the dnsmasq manual.

So I run a reverse strict dns on my open vpn via pia, to use my local dns server before external, 384.9 update broke the reverse strict setting, anyone know how to fix it without reverting back to 384.2?

384.9 didn't break it, it fixed it. Previously, the WAN DNS were used before the tunnel DNS, which is the opposite of what is intended by Strict mode.

You should be using Exclusive mode anyway.

and they dont want to fix the problems
I don't think that. Maybe they just don't have the resources to do that timely and effectively. Just think how extended ASUS has become with their huge divergent product offerings globally.

I cannot seem to be able to update my AC87U from the 384.9beta to the final, i have redownloaded the file several times and tried but no luck. My AC68U did upgrade just fine

Double check the downloaded model, and reboot the router with no USB disk plugged in before upgrading.

if i cant filter the 200/300 connections that my iptv have all time (that list show as untraked) that list is usseless because freeze the tab, can u set one option to disable it?

It's not a feature that can be enabled or disabled. That page simply reads the list of tracked connections, sort them, and shows them. If your IPTV is flooding your router with hundreds of connections and the router isn't able to keep up with them when showing them on that page, then there's nothing that can be done about it, just don't access that specific page.

Why won't a company like Asus just release the source then when they can get free help?

Because some people are taking all of their work, and using it on non-Asus routers despite the licensing terms forbidding it. You can blame those pirates for the current situation.

The other reason is Asus using confidential Broadcom APIs in the networkmap, preventing them from keeping the sources open. Blame Broadcom for their utter paranoia in this area. Their competitors will obviously get an advantage over Broadcom if they ever saw the name of the function calls used by Asus to read Wireless data. <rolling eyes>.

Of router SoC manufacturers, Broadcom are among the most open-source hostiles.

I don't think that. Maybe they just don't have the resources to do that timely and effectively. Just think how extended ASUS has become with their huge divergent product offerings globally.

Sounds like the Nokia disease. Eventually had too many devices out to properly support. I hope Asus don't fall in to this 'target every segment' trap which just translates to 'spread thin with poorly supported products'.

@RMerlin Thanks for the update, working great here and the new Classification feature is pretty good. Just a feature request if it's possible can you add the ability to show the list only for select clients and hide the noise from all other devices on the network whenever we want to see that.

Also is it possible to add colors in the classification tabs without enabling QoS ? as I have Gigabit connection I can't really use QoS without sacrificing bandwidth but I really like the Classification feature with all the color separation and it kind of work the same with colors under Traffic Statistics page ( Per App Filter ) without QoS so probably same thing can be applied on Classification page as well.

Last edited:
RT-AC68U

"Internet status disconnected" every 5-10 minutes (or randomly) and internet is actually disconnected. Reverting to previous version solves the issue.
What version are you trying to flash and what is your previous version?

Then let the likes of you sign an enforceable NDA.

I have nothing but HUGE admiration for @RMerlin and his tenacity, given the closed source buggy-bits he has to contend with.
I genuinely dread the day he packs it in ... I would be forced to abandon ASUS and begin the hunt for new router hardware with similar customize-ability that Merlin-Ware opens up for a user.

ASUS should be paying him a FAT monthly retainer and providing him with an NDA as suggested by @bitmonster PLUS paying him to fix their buggy-bits. That's probably more than Eric would like to chew on - given that this is a part-time project of his. ;).

Version 384.8-2 has been FULLY stable and a real treat to have running on my AC5300 ... so I will stay off the cliff-edge for now and let others play on the "bleeding edge". This latest release is clearly a "biggy" which must have absorbed a considerable amount of time and effort - thanks to all those Beta testers with the time, resources and know-how to contribute.

I close with an appeal to contributors on this forum to "keep it clean" and lose the emotive language which may inadvertently serve to discourage @RMerlin from continuing his Herculean efforts to provide us all with Merlin-Ware firmware. OH ... and PLEASE read the Change Log before "bleating" :D.

Running 384.9 on my AC86U and AC68U for 1 day and 10 hours without issue.
No complaints from me.
Dcd crashes initially for the first 10 hours or so but none since :)

Wow, I've had dcd tainted crashes for two days now. Happens every 20-30 minutes. Hope there is a fix for it.

Sorry if this is getting old.