What's new

[Release] FreshJR Adaptive QOS (Improvements / Custom Rules / and Inner workings)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does any one of you use the device priority bandwith monitor instead of makeing them all at default priority.
Does it not work if i put my gaming pc on the highes priority and alle the other devices on very low ?

If no how can i limit some devices form the max bandwith ?

You should probably use bandwidth limiter on all devices. Before AC86U, Merlin and FreshJR's script, I had a AC1200G+ and it did the job quite well on a 40mbps connection with 3 streaming devices getting 10 mbps max and the PC 20 mbps. No buffer bloat whatsoever, and on a 4G connection. Gaming does not require bandwidth, only that all the packets get sent when needed.

Does FreshJR_QOS work the John's Fork (Merlin LTS Fork 374.43) for Asus RT-N66U? I don't seem to be having any luck installing it.

Update: Installed Asuswrt-Merlin 380.70 on the RT-N66U, still doesn't seem to work. See debug output below.
Code:
FreshJR QOS v8.8
Debug:

cat: can't open '/tmp/bwdpi/qosd.conf': No such file or directory
expr: non-numeric argument
adaptive QOS: Undf Prio:
adaptive QOS: Undf FlowID:
adaptive QOS: Classes Present: 1
adaptive QOS: Down Band: 90000
adaptive QOS: Up Band  : 5000
adaptive QOS: ***********
adaptive QOS: Net = 1:10
adaptive QOS: VOIP =
adaptive QOS: Gaming =
adaptive QOS: Others =
adaptive QOS: Web =
adaptive QOS: Streaming =
adaptive QOS: Downloads =
adaptive QOS: Defaults = 1:17
adaptive QOS: Downrates -- 4500, , , , , , , 4500
adaptive QOS: Downceils -- 90000, , , , , , , 90000
adaptive QOS: Downbursts -- , , , , , , ,
adaptive QOS: DownCbursts -- , , , , , , ,
adaptive QOS: Uprates -- 250, , , , , , , 250
adaptive QOS: Upciels -- 5000, , , , , , , 5000
adaptive QOS: Upbursts -- 6599b, , , , , , ,
adaptive QOS: UpCbursts -- 7849b, , , , , , ,
admin@RT-N66U-5580:/tmp/home/root#

Last edited:
I use a VPN client 24/7 in Merlin, on my RT-AX88U. Does the use of a VPN affect QOS? I'm particularly interested in making sure streaming (to any device) is kept as the number one priority. So, when my NAS or Xbox is downloading, say, a 60 GB file the streaming of News on my ATV is not disrupted. At present, I'm having to stop all downloading while watching CNN, and this is with ASUS's QOS on and streaming selected as priority.

Do you think device priority adds latency?

I have a 200/100 PPPoE fibre connection would it be beneficial to install Freshjr ? Is it still a valid script considering it hasn't been updated in months.

I have a 200/100 PPPoE fibre connection would it be beneficial to install Freshjr ? Is it still a valid script considering it hasn't been updated in months.

Regarding the packet queueing, I will definitely recommend this script. My network without it works just fine but when there is gaming devices running, any torrent download or a speedtest produce a lot of ping spikes to those devices. My connection is 120/10 cable.

I know everyone says that the automatic bandwidth limits doesn't work, but I have a problem.
In my region I only have 4G connection. I have 40d/2u Mbps on the contract.
However, I'm always getting 11-12mbps upload speed.
However , in the download side, sometimes I have 10-15, sometimes 25-30, and sometimes 38-42 Mbps.
So... I simply can't adjust manual bandwidth. Because it's very floaty.
So my question is - the automatic bandwidth doesn't work at all, or works crappy?

Thanks

So, does Fresh JR Adaptive QOS work when using OpenVPN profiles in Merlin?

Yes I'm using it with VPN.

Okay, I just realized something. I have 2 VPN's running. One is a US Residential IP (static) for streaming US content to my Apple TV, the OpenVPN profile's "Accept DNS Configuration" is set to "Exclusive", Diversion doesn't work with it. Then I have another VPN running with "Accept DNS Configuration" set to "Disabled" and "Policy Rules (Strict)" on with 14 devices routed through the VPN or WAN. So Fresh JR must not be working for the Apple TV, when I am downloading from Usenet on my NAS the Apple TV buffers. So, I'll just have to limit the Download rate on the NAS I guess.

I know everyone says that the automatic bandwidth limits doesn't work, but I have a problem.
In my region I only have 4G connection. I have 40d/2u Mbps on the contract.
However, I'm always getting 11-12mbps upload speed.
However , in the download side, sometimes I have 10-15, sometimes 25-30, and sometimes 38-42 Mbps.
So... I simply can't adjust manual bandwidth. Because it's very floaty.
So my question is - the automatic bandwidth doesn't work at all, or works crappy?

Thanks

The only way to know is to test it yourself. Try it for 24-48 hours and see how well it works for you?

Any reason why download QoS mark is 0x08 but upload is 0x04? What is delay parameter 1?
Why doesnt download have the same delay parameter?Is delay parmeter 1 saying its ok to delay> But what about drop rate?

Regarding the packet queueing, I will definitely recommend this script. My network without it works just fine but when there is gaming devices running, any torrent download or a speedtest produce a lot of ping spikes to those devices. My connection is 120/10 cable.
I tested it for two days on the AX88U and I can honestly say I didn't see any improvement as a matter of fact the router felt more sluggish and not as responsive in regards to loading websites and games. I think the script was mainly intended for users with double-digit connections.

It does wonders for my 50/5 connection. When I still had my 400/40 I did not utilize QoS on my router.

Does a great job for me on a secondary location with 15/5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online