What's new

[Release] FreshJR Adaptive QOS (Improvements / Custom Rules / and Inner workings)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Compatible Version of Script Updated --> V3

-No changes for RMerlin users, you can ignore this update.

-Fixed glitch for AsusWRT users where a restart was needed for the script to take effect after initial installation
(existing AsusWRT users don't need to upgrade to this version, just perform a system reboot if you haven't since the install)

Hi,

I'm really lost with all those configurations and multiple setups and don't know which fits me, also the configurations are so complex for me, but i'm suffering with Asus stock Adaptive QOS and i will let you know my issues and thankfully to you help me make your script work according to my needs...

First issue for me is that if windows update is downloading, ALL other traffic is slowed down no matter what device priority or category (Streaming, gaming, etc)

My No. 1 priority is gaming for my xbox and playstation, second is web browsing, third is youtube / video streaming......it would make perfect sense to me that if my priority for streaming is above downloads (windows update or torrents) there should be allocated bandwidth to adapt and give higher priority to streaming...but thats not the case with me...

I really tried to follow your instructions but failed to do accomplish what i need or at least lost at exactly how to configure it.

Can you please help me achieving that? thank you so much.

Guys have you got this working with 86u? After installing the script, I can see file transferring and web browsing categorized correctly under QoS status page. But when I try add this below line for usenet to be categorized as file transfering, it forces it to either VoIP or Web browsing:
DOWNLOAD/INCOMMING TRAFFIC :
Code:
${tc} filter add dev br0 protocol all prio 1 u32 match ip sport 563 0xffff flowid ${Downloads}
UPLOAD (OUTGOING TRAFFIC) :
Code:
${tc} filter add dev eth0 protocol all prio 1 u32 match ip dport 563 0xffff flowid ${Downloads}

Any idea what could be the problem since every QoS rule of torrent, web browsing, video ..etc works perfectly except the usenet rule?

Are you sure usenet is using port 563 on your PC?
Does windows resource monitor confirm this?

Local Port = LAN Port
Remote Port = WAN Port

Last edited:
Are you sure usenet is using port 563 on your PC?
Does windows resource monitor confirm this?

Local Port = LAN Port
Remote Port = WAN Port

Actually I'm using usenet on Qnap NAS Server. I'll try to see if I can find the equivalent of recourse monitor on it for confirmation.

Hi.. I have test newest merlin release 384.5 with your script. I have tested adaptive, traditional and disabled qos. My problem is I have same test results at dslreports... It seems qos doesnt work for me

without qos:
33359376.png

traditional:
33359453.png

adaptive:
33359399.png

Hi Fresh, please check the result from Netstat-nat https://pastebin.com/JiZ5MavC

It's port 563 on the WAN (remote) server.
It's a random ephemeral port on the LAN (local) device. (E.g. It's 57902 this time but will be something else next time)

You can tell which on is which because local devices are 192.168.x.x while remote servers are anything else (in this case 81.x.x.x)

So flip sport/dport. (Templates have different examples if intending to filter on the LAN or WAN side ports)

@h3lmut

Do you have proper QOS limits defined since all the speeds look identical.

If you have proper limits, uninstall this script to make sure it's not a compatibility issue and try with a non modified QOS.

Also try a router restart.

Last edited:
It's port 563 on the WAN (remote) server.
It's a random ephemeral port on the LAN (local) device. (E.g. It's 57902 this time but will be something else next time)

You can tell which on is which because local devices are 192.168.x.x while remote servers are anything else (in this case 81.x.x.x)

So flip sport/dport. (Templates have different examples if intending to filter on the LAN or WAN side ports)

@h3lmut

Do you have proper QOS limits defined since all the speeds look identical.

If you have proper limits, uninstall this script to make sure it's not a compatibility issue and try with a non modified QOS.

Also try a router restart.
I flipped sport/dport and uninstalling the script and uploading it again, it still shows usenet as VoIP unfortunately. Could this be 86u issue? but what makes me wonder is that video and torrent shows correctly under the categories. Thank you,

Enable all 4 sport/dport variants and try again then start the usenet transfer 5 minutes transfer AFTER script is ran.

The original post states traffic during QOS initialization/startup will remain in the original category until connection is terminated or restarted.

During the initial 5 minute waitperiod, any connection directed toany QOS container (from theoriginal rules) will have that trafficremain in that container for theduration of the connection. Trafficrules are only parsed upon openinga NEW connection.

Enable all 4 sport/dport variants and try again then start the usenet transfer 5 minutes transfer AFTER script is ran.

The original post states traffic during QOS initialization/startup will remain in the original category until connection is terminated or restarted.
Thank you, yeah I waited for 5 minutes after the script start on previous attempt. I only used the two lines for usenet mentioned before. Can you please elaborate on "Enable all 4 sport/dport variants" since I only adjusted the two lines?

Code:
${tc} filter add dev br0 protocol all prio 1 u32 match ip sport 563 0xffff flowid ${Downloads}  #WAN/Remote Port -- Should be correct for  USENET application
${tc} filter add dev br0 protocol all prio 1 u32 match ip dport 563 0xffff flowid ${Downloads}  # LAN/Local Port

${tc} filter add dev eth0 protocol all prio 1 u32 match ip sport 563 0xffff flowid ${Downloads}  # LAN/Local Port
${tc} filter add dev eth0 protocol all prio 1 u32 match ip dport 563 0xffff flowid ${Downloads}  #WAN/Remote Port -- Should be correct for  USENET application

## USENET is hosted on remote/WAN  port 563
## USENET is delivered to local/LAN ephemeral (random/dynamic) port in range 49152 - 65535

All else fails, use AppRedirection as another user said USENET traffic was identified as "Betternet" in app analysis, so he/we redirected that.

Port rules shouldn't fail since the concept / filtering element is dead simple.

No idea whats going on besides mis-configuration.

Last edited:
Code:
${tc} filter add dev br0 protocol all prio 1 u32 match ip sport 563 0xffff flowid ${Downloads}  #WAN/Remote Port -- Should be correct for  USENET application
${tc} filter add dev br0 protocol all prio 1 u32 match ip dport 563 0xffff flowid ${Downloads}  # LAN/Local Port

${tc} filter add dev eth0 protocol all prio 1 u32 match ip sport 563 0xffff flowid ${Downloads}  # LAN/Local Port
${tc} filter add dev eth0 protocol all prio 1 u32 match ip dport 563 0xffff flowid ${Downloads}  #WAN/Remote Port -- Should be correct for  USENET application

## USENET is hosted on remote/WAN  port 563
## USENET is delivered to local/LAN ephemeral (random/dynamic) port in range 49152 - 65535

All else fails, use AppRedirection as another user said USENET traffic was identified as "Betternet" in app analysis, so he/we redirected that.

Port rules shouldn't fail since the concept / filtering element is dead simple.

No idea whats going on besides mis-configuration.
Great! Thank you, I'll give a try ASAP. Can I use the lines with (realtc) for the fast version?

Ok, thank you so much, so a couple of questions:

My Xbox IP is 192.168.2.217
My PS IP is 192.168.2.195

So I should add the following lines:

Code:
${tc} filter add dev br0 protocol all prio $1 u32 match ip dst 192.168.2.217/30 match mark 0x80000000 0x80000fff flowid ${Gaming}         #Gaming (3/3) - Routes Unidentified Traffic into "Gaming", instead of "Others", for LAN clients specified

${tc} filter add dev br0 protocol all prio $1 u32 match ip dst 192.168.2.195/30 match mark 0x80000000 0x80000fff flowid ${Gaming}         #Gaming (3/3) - Routes Unidentified Traffic into "Gaming", instead of "Others", for LAN clients specified

Also the most important question, where does the windows updates traffic falls? and how to put it in Downloads for instance?

And please excuse my sub-netting ignorance and this calculator as I really don't get it.

Here is the script Compatible with some small changes that help people that play games to not have lag or disconnections.

Changes focused on Gaming:
1. #Percent of download speed guaranteed per QOS category
VoIP_DownBandPercent=10 (Reduce 10)
FileTransfer_DownBandPercent=10 (Increase 5)
Default_DownBandPercent=10 (Increase 5)

2. #Percent of upload speed guaranteed per QOS category
VoIP_UpBandPercent=10 (Reduce 10)
Others_UpBandPercent=10 (Reduce 20)
WebSurfing_UpBandPercent=30 (Increase 20)
FileTransfer_UpBandPercent=10 (Increase 5)
Default_UpBandPercent=10 (Increase 5)

3. "Snapchat" Traffic into "Web".
FreshJR mentioned in the section QOS Setup: QOS traffic priority list

4. I use the Gaming rules only for Consoles. (You have to change the IP in the line 92, 117 and 118)
Guide: ADVANCED QOS RULES

5. Adaptive QoS Category Custom Order:

Thank you FreshJR.

Notes:
- Always connect your consoles over a wired connection and never over wireless.
- Use Manual bandwidth with limits set to 85% of your non-throttled Speedtest results.
- Do not use VPN or WTFast when you are playing, because you will receive a worse connection or BAN. (in Fortnite, etc.)

Sorry to bring this again @FreshJR but the issue still persists with both compatible and fast versions. Can you please give the script a look if it might needs alteration for 563 lines?

Attachments

• FreshJR_QOS_fast_v1.txt
    34 KB · Views: 491
Last edited:
@maxsteel

Everything looks correct.

Just for peace of mind, try redirecting 443 traffic into downloads (temporarily) and then perform a https dslreports speedtest to see if the rules work.

1) Either WAN port rules are not working on your router (works fine on my end)
or
2) Your nzb bulk transfer traffic is not on 563

Status
Not open for further replies.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!