What's new

Rt-ac68u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Wow the change log for 3.0.0.4.374.291 looks nice. An OpenVPN server and client in the stock firmware is a pleasant surprise. :)

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.374.291
Added:
1. Added Apple time machine feature in USB application.
2. Both NTFS and HFS+ format HDD are supported.
3. Added OpenVPN server.
4. Added OpenVPN/ PPTP/L2TP client.
5. Some devices like set top box, smart TV or Blu-ray player are not able to establish VPN connection. VPN client in router can help these devices to connect to VPN server.
6. Supported HFS+ format HDD
7. Added 2.4GHz beamforming option in advanced settings —> wireless —>professional
8. Added roaming assistant: allow to set the minimum RSSI to disconnect clients and let clients reconnect to Ap with better signal.

Modified:
1. Enhanced FAT32 read/write speed

Fixed:
1. Adjusted 2.4GHz power saving algorithm to fix slow wireless in some special scenarios.
2. Fixed ASMedia 1053E USB 3.0 controller compatibility issue.
3. Fixed IPv6 related issues
4. Fixed quick internet setup UI issues when setup the router by wireless client.
5. Fixed WPS push button related issues.
6. Fixed the security related issues for httpd.

edit: oops I just noticed the thread announcing this release, ah well it is here too. :p

Last edited:
I'm happy to report that the save settings feature now works with 291 and the "R" model! Thanks Asus!

Mike

Did you try to increase the Tx power?
go to "Wireless"--"Professional", you will find Tx power adjustment, the default value is 80mW, and you can increase upto 200mW. ( my wireless modem provided by ATT Uverse has default value 400mW)

Yep, tried that amongst many other things, but 2.4 is still woeful.
If fact 2 of my wireless security cameras, which had connectivity with my N66U have no connectivity on the AC68U.
Just downloaded firmware 291, see how that goes.

Yep, tried that amongst many other things, but 2.4 is still woeful.
If fact 2 of my wireless security cameras, which had connectivity with my N66U have no connectivity on the AC68U.
Just downloaded firmware 291, see how that goes.

Zero problems here with 2.4 Ghz signal. In fact, if anything, the AC68 is a couple dBM higher than my N66 when set to the same Tx power.

Mike

291 has not improved 2.4GHz. I am now beginning to wonder if I have a faulty router.

did you check your antennas are good? and try to setup 45, 90, 45 degree, then reset the router. If you still have the same problem, you may get a faulty router. BTW, do you have other devices around your router? I only have a external HD and a modem( wifi is off) around it.

Attachments

• ac68u.jpg
    ac68u.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 463
Last edited:
did you check your antennas are good? and try to setup 45, 90, 45 degree, then reset the router. If you still have the same problem, you may get a faulty router. BTW, do you have other devices around your router? I only have a external HD and a modem( wifi is off) around it.

They are setup 45,90,45 tried other combinations as well. I have reset the router, cleared nvram, back to factory default, manually input all the settings again, have done this with each firmware update. There are no other wireless devices around the router.
I also have the RT-N66U with Merlin firmware and that is no problem.
So I will have to assume the router has an issue.

I've found the problem. I swapped the antenna from my RT-N66U to the RT-AC68U and 2.4GHz transmission is back! Looks like I got one or more faulty antenna with the AC68U. Funny it didn't impact on the 5GHz though.

thats interesting, I don't know the difference on antenna between 66 and 68. Maybe you can get a new replacement for 68U to see if you still have the same problem.

edit:
so my vpn issues were due to my tap adapter it seems. not sure why it works fine with my old routers, but something is up with compatibility with this one.

i'm able to get good vpn speeds through the windows vpn service as well as the client built into firmware. not really sure what to put in under openvpn when it asks for the ovpn file though.

Last edited:
i'm getting hit with this on 291 now and cant get around it. never had an issue with it on 205

"Settings have been updated. Web page will now refresh.
Changes have been made to the IP address or port number. You will now be disconnected from RT-AC68U.
To access the settings of RT-AC68U, reconnect to the wireless network and use the updated IP address and port number."

if it happens again i'm going back to 205.

i'm getting hit with this on 291 now and cant get around it. never had an issue with it on 205

Changes have been made to the IP address or port number. You will now be disconnected from RT-AC68U.
To access the settings of RT-AC68U, reconnect to the wireless network and use the updated IP address and port number."

This usually happens if you try to access the router while it's not accessible (for instance, it might be rebooting, or still busy applying some changes that required restarting some internal services).

I've found the problem. I swapped the antenna from my RT-N66U to the RT-AC68U and 2.4GHz transmission is back! Looks like I got one or more faulty antenna with the AC68U. Funny it didn't impact on the 5GHz though.

I'm having the same problem as you..getting really crappy 2.4 signal...glad you found the issue...I bought mine pre-order from Amazon..I will try to get mine replaced then.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I'm having the same problem as you..getting really crappy 2.4 signal...glad you found the issue...I bought mine pre-order from Amazon..I will try to get mine replaced then.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I thought I had found the problem! Must have just been coincidence as my speedtest result on 2.4Ghz improved dramatically and I was getting connection to my security cameras again. But after several hours the signal dropped down again and back to where it was before. So why it improved temporarily after swapping antenna over is anyones guess! It is frustrating as I don't know whether to return the router for a replacement or wait until further firmware releases in the hope that there is a fix and it is not a hardware issue.

that's happening to me also,my internet goes out every 3-4 min after I reboot it
tried defaulting it ,no avail same thing
same thing happened with that beta that was put out day before yesterday
205 seems to be alright

tried to read the system log
something about port forwarding or upnp

Last edited:
I thought I had found the problem! Must have just been coincidence as my speedtest result on 2.4Ghz improved dramatically and I was getting connection to my security cameras again. But after several hours the signal dropped down again and back to where it was before. So why it improved temporarily after swapping antenna over is anyones guess! It is frustrating as I don't know whether to return the router for a replacement or wait until further firmware releases in the hope that there is a fix and it is not a hardware issue.

hmm this is frustrating...i already ordered a replacement from amazon but thats not gonna ship till dec..lets hope its a firmware issue and can be fixed soon.

hmm this is frustrating...i already ordered a replacement from amazon but thats not gonna ship till dec..lets hope its a firmware issue and can be fixed soon.

This is really hard to figure out if it is the FW or HW issue because we don't hear anything from Asus.

going back to 205.

i had that build up for 7 days without many issues with regular browsing or access to the settings.
291 has now forced me to reboot three times as the router starts to a crawl, and has the silly settings glitch.

i've had this thing for about a week now. will run 205, and if that build holds up i'll keep this thing. otherwise, this thing is beyond disappointing.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!