What's new

Rt-ac68u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The RT-AC68U seems to be unavailable. Anyone know if there's a recall coming, or if they've stopped selling them until the firmware is fixed, or if they just need to build more. Makes me curious.

i don't know about that but all my local fry's have a lots, and beside the asus rep just confirm with me that the router does have a shield near the three antenna so i don't see why they should recall it unless it the firmware issue, need to iron the bugs out before rolling out more i guess.

Last edited:
I am still waiting for mine , ordered by Amazan.com 2 weeks ago,,,,,,

i don't know about that but all my local fry's have a lots, and beside the asus rep just confirm with me that the router does have a shield near the three antenna so i don't see why they should recall it unless it the firmware issue, need to iron the bugs out before rolling out more i guess.

yeah i don't know why amazon keep showing out of stock, i original ordered from them but cancel it, then i bought my at newegg and by using the mobile app with their coupon i got 20 dollars off.

Yes, Newegg says "not available", not "out of stock" or "backordered", that caught my eye. Amazon says "temporarily out of stock". I assume that any "brick and mortar" stores will sell what's on their shelves in any case *smile*.

Last edited:
Plenty in stock at my local BB. They call it the AC68R at BB. Hopefully if there is low stock at other places, it's just because Asus decided to not ship the next batch until they can get the new firmware (due out this week I believe) on it before it ships. I can see why they'd prefer it ship with updated firmware because it's already getting knocked in ratings on Amazon due to firmware issues. Let's hope that's all it is and it's not hardware.

On a similar topic, I think I saw this discussed here... technically the AC68R sold at retailers cannot be 100% identical hardware-wise to the AC68U sold online because when you install the AC68U 217 firmware posted here, the Web GUI still says AC68R even though you just installed AC68U firmware. So at a minimum, there's at least the AC68R designation coded into the hardware. :)

Mike

I wouldnt worry too much anyway. The firmware is flaky atm anyways. I had to revert back to my rt-n66u because I was having issues with some wireless devices connecting to the AC68U.

Until a new firmware is released, this thing isnt much more use than a doorstop to me.

On a similar topic, I think I saw this discussed here... technically the AC68R sold at retailers cannot be 100% identical hardware-wise to the AC68U sold online because when you install the AC68U 217 firmware posted here, the Web GUI still says AC68R even though you just installed AC68U firmware. So at a minimum, there's at least the AC68R designation coded into the hardware. :)

Mike

The hardware is identical. Every router sold has different values stored in the CFE. They all have different MAC addresses, for instance. The ompid is also different, identifying the device as a R or U. But the hardware itself is 100% identical.

Has the save settings function been rendered useless on this router? If you go into the Admin tab and click on the "Save" button to save current settings, all you get is this message:

"Settings have been updated. Web page will now refresh.
Changes have been made to the IP address or port number. You will now be disconnected from RT-AC68R.
To access the settings of RT-AC68R, reconnect to the wireless network and use the updated IP address and port number."

I can find no way around that message and no way to continue. And this is when accessing the router via a wired connection. Tried both rebooting and a full power off/on.

Mike

Has the save settings function been rendered useless on this router? If you go into the Admin tab and click on the "Save" button to save current settings, all you get is this message:

"Settings have been updated. Web page will now refresh.
Changes have been made to the IP address or port number. You will now be disconnected from RT-AC68R.
To access the settings of RT-AC68R, reconnect to the wireless network and use the updated IP address and port number."

I can find no way around that message and no way to continue. And this is when accessing the router via a wired connection. Tried both rebooting and a full power off/on.

Mike

I ran into that screen a few times. I had to completely power off the router and power it back on to be able to log in. In most cases it kept telling me that my password is wrong after reboot.

are you trying to get in using 192.168.1.1, or router.asus.com?
i've been having issues too, and after resets, the router only acknowledges the later.

anyhow, i mentioned in the quicksilver thread that ive been having problems with VPN speeds. well i've discovered a strange issue after running tests across three laptops at home; 1 using an atheros wifi card and the other 2 intel wifi.

whereas they all worked well with my old router, ive discovered that the two intel ones, both Thinkpads, suffer from severely diminished VPN speeds while the Vaio using the atheros adapter works perfectly fine.

i thought it may be a range issue at first since the Vaio is near the router while the others are upstairs, but no, doing comparisons of all at both locations results in the same thing; thinpads have horrid speeds everywhere while the vaio works fine everwhere.

i really cant figure this out. i've tried 205, merlins, and dd-wrt with no success.
i cant think of any changes i can make in with the intel wifi card settings as the default all worked perfectly fine with my old routers. i did enable throughput enhancement though.

Last edited:
I ran into that screen a few times. I had to completely power off the router and power it back on to be able to log in. In most cases it kept telling me that my password is wrong after reboot.

Thanks. I can log in just fine though. It's just that the save settings option doesn't work.

Mike

Thanks. I can log in just fine though. It's just that the save settings option doesn't work.

Mike

are you on Chrome , IE or firefox? sometimes internet browser can also cause problem. I have Chrome and IE, and it works fine to save my setup. In addition, you can also try to upgrade to 205 fw.

are you on Chrome , IE or firefox? sometimes internet browser can also cause problem. I have Chrome and IE, and it works fine to save my setup. In addition, you can also try to upgrade to 205 fw.

I figured it out. It's a glitch that only appears when you use the AC68U firmware on an AC68R! I was using the AC68U 217 firmware posted in this thread on my AC68R and that's what causes the problem. When you are running the "U" firmware on an "R" router and you click that save button, here's where it tries to go:

http://192.168.1.1/Settings_RT-AC68R.CFG

That file doesn't exist so if you manually overwrite that URL with this:

http://192.168.1.1/Settings_RT-AC68U.CFG

It works and you can save the settings. I don't know if this is a bug and the "U" firmware is supposed to work on "R" routers... or if the "U" firmware was just not meant to run on the "R" routers. If the former, Asus will have to fix this bug. If the latter (they are not interchangeable), we'll have to always be sure to use firmware labeled "U" or "R" depending on which flavor you have.

Mike

Last edited:
guys, its router.asus.com that works after resets.

it even says so on the back of the router along with admin/admin being the user/password.

hmmm, I didn't flash ac68U, so I couldn't comment on it, but I did flash Merlin test build and I had no problem.

I figured it out. It's a glitch that only appears when you use the AC68U firmware on an AC68R! I was using the AC68U 217 firmware posted in this thread on my AC68R and that's what causes the problem. When you are running the "U" firmware on an "R" router and you click that save button, here's where it tries to go:

http://192.168.1.1/Settings_RT-AC68R.CFG

That file doesn't exist so if you manually overwrite that URL with this:

http://192.168.1.1/Settings_RT-AC68U.CFG

It works and you can save the settings. I don't know if this is a bug and the "U" firmware is supposed to work on "R" routers... or if the "U" firmware was just not meant to run on the "R" routers. If the former, Asus will have to fix this bug. If the latter (they are not interchangeable), we'll have to always be sure to use firmware labeled "U" or "R" depending on which flavor you have.

Mike

RT-AC68U and RT-AC68R are exactly the same router, with the same firmware. In fact, there's isn't even an RT-AC68R profile in the source code, only an RT-AC68U. If your issue went away after a reflash, it's probably more the 4-5 minutes downtime that fixed the issue than the flash itself.

RT-AC68U and RT-AC68R are exactly the same router, with the same firmware. In fact, there's isn't even an RT-AC68R profile in the source code, only an RT-AC68U. If your issue went away after a reflash, it's probably more the 4-5 minutes downtime that fixed the issue than the flash itself.

I know that the U and R firmware are the same (you can see that in a file compare) but be that as it may, the save settings option will not work on the "R" but it does on the "U". And that's regardless of the firmware version or how many times you reboot. It's a bug they need to fix. Apparently when the config file is saved, it is saved to Settings_RT-AC68U.CFG and then they are calling the URL Settings_<router_name>.CFG and on the "R" that translates to Settings_RT-AC68R.CFG which does not exist. On the "U", it works because Settings_RT-AC68U.CFG does exist. I can only tell you what I see on my "R" but it looks like the save button won't work on any "R" router: I've tried 205, 217, and their latest beta. None of them work.

Mike

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!