What's new

Rt-ac68u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I figured it out. It's a glitch that only appears when you use the AC68U firmware on an AC68R! I was using the AC68U 217 firmware posted in this thread on my AC68R and that's what causes the problem. When you are running the "U" firmware on an "R" router and you click that save button, here's where it tries to go:

http://192.168.1.1/Settings_RT-AC68R.CFG

That file doesn't exist so if you manually overwrite that URL with this:

http://192.168.1.1/Settings_RT-AC68U.CFG

It works and you can save the settings. I don't know if this is a bug and the "U" firmware is supposed to work on "R" routers... or if the "U" firmware was just not meant to run on the "R" routers. If the former, Asus will have to fix this bug. If the latter (they are not interchangeable), we'll have to always be sure to use firmware labeled "U" or "R" depending on which flavor you have.

Mike

thanks so much! I hadn't been paying attention to that but putting the url in manual as you said worked like a charm so that I could now save my settings. Good work!

thanks so much! I hadn't been paying attention to that but putting the url in manual as you said worked like a charm so that I could now save my settings. Good work!

From what I understand, the fix won't make it into the upcoming 235 version but it should be fixed in the one after that. So maybe Merlin can work his magic when he gets his hands on the final 235 and fix this so us poor AC68R owners can save our settings just like the AC68U owners. Then maybe the R's will truly be identical to the U's. ;)

Mike

I flashed that beta 235 file and It flashed ok but I would lose internet every
2 minutes so I got nervous and flashed back to 205

My external jet direct card wouldnt connect to my AC68U so I had to revert back to my n66u. Always one of the problems being an early adopter.

Although I havent seen this many issues with firmware since very early N66U days.

its funny, I think we all have different problems on such an excellent router.

Sure seems that way. FWIW (one data point)... I'm not having any issues with 235. Well other than having to do the workaround to save settings on the "R" model.

Mike

I don't have other problem except the WEP encryption (For sure it is an FW problem). I have no connection issue, and all of my streaming devices work good without disconnection. ( I think I have 9 devices on this router and 1 usb 3.0 external hard drive)

I'm in the same boat. I don't have any problems with it. It hasn't rebooted or needed one. Given I don't tweak as much as all of you guys do. I just do some general tweaking for xbox live connection, accessing router outside the network, usb 3.0 harddrive, and a few other odds and ends.

I do have a problem using [routername].asuscomm.com but its not that big of a deal and You guys have already said that using a different service will fix the issue so I'm not to worried about it. Other than that, the router is working perfectly with 217 on it. Much faster than the coat hanger I was using before.

In general, I just type 192.168.1.1 to access the router.For network hard drive, I enable the FTP share, Network place(samba)share/could disk, and media server, so my other devices can access my hard drive. my Ai could is off (Cloud Disk, Smart Access).

235 beta seems more stable than 217 and with better wifi performance than 205. Me likey :)

Are you getting better wi-fi performance on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz?
My 2.4GHz is woeful. 5GHz is fine.

Mostly 5Ghz improvement but my 2.4 is decent enough - got 10MB/s transfer speeds and I use it only for the small mobile devices anyway.

Any idea when we might see the 235 version out of Beta and released officially?

235 was just an interim beta. Asus was already up to 262 this week.

A non beta release is expected in the next few days, possibly before the end of the week.

Are you getting better wi-fi performance on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz?
My 2.4GHz is woeful. 5GHz is fine.

Did you try to increase the Tx power?
go to "Wireless"--"Professional", you will find Tx power adjustment, the default value is 80mW, and you can increase upto 200mW. ( my wireless modem provided by ATT Uverse has default value 400mW)

291 is out.

my galaxy s3's 2.4Ghz download speed is 24mbps!

it was 0.68mbps at 205 build.. ;)

but nat loopback with HW acc on doesn't work well...

Last edited:
291 is out.

my galaxy s3's 2.4Ghz download speed is 24mbps!

it was 0.68mbps at 205 build.. ;)

but nat loopback with HW acc on doesn't work well...

So they haven't fixed the hw acc issue yet. That sucks. I use it all the time and cannot work without it.

P.S. Both 235 and 291 show "WAN IPv6 Gateway: ::" for an ipv6 tunnel but in reality the tunnel works and has a gateway. I guess it's a small gui thing to be fixed.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!