What's new

scMerlin scMerlin 2.5.3 - Service and script control menu for Asuswrt-Merlin, April 30, 2024

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I believe this is a bad idea. Who toggles it back? And if done later on, NTP may never sync. That‘s what I saw when I tested this a few months ago.
Who toggles the toggles... that's really the question. ;)

I believe this is a bad idea. Who toggles it back? And if done later on, NTP may never sync. That‘s what I saw when I tested this a few months ago.
My understanding is the user is asking for a menu option to manually enable/disable the "NTP Ready" check performed by the add-on during startup. So if the user disables this check, it would be the user's responsibility to enable it back at some later point. I'm guessing the idea is to disable the check momentarily while troubleshooting the WAN connection, and then enable it once the issue has been resolved, and then reboot the router. Without an established WAN connection, there's not much the user can do anyway, so the "NTP Ready" check is moot under such conditions.

Perhaps the poster can elaborate on what he's trying to do since there might be other ways to accomplish what he wants to do.

Just my 2 cents.

Who toggles the toggles... that's really the question. ;)
Well…
IMG_0013.jpeg

My understanding is the user is asking for a menu option to manually enable/disable the "NTP Ready" check performed by the add-on during startup. So if the user disables this check, it would be the user's responsibility to enable it back at some later point. I'm guessing the idea is to disable the check momentarily while troubleshooting the WAN connection, and then enable it once the issue has been resolved, and then reboot the router. Without an established WAN connection, there's not much the user can do anyway, so the "NTP Ready" check is moot under such conditions.

Perhaps the poster can elaborate on what he's trying to do since there might be other ways to accomplish what he wants to do.

Just my 2 cents.

@Martinski is spot on for all accounts. My fault if I do not enable it; I have some unique occasions/use cases when wan detection may fail (or not even be available) during initial router restart yet I still desire to have the SCMerlin gui available, without waiting 10 minutes. I have manually commented out the subroutine for a while now, with no ill effects overall or even with NTP specifically. Once the WAN connection goes live, the NTP watchdog does what it is supposed to do.

It would just be nice to have a menu option so that checking for updates does not give a false update needed.

I also ran into that issue where I couldn't upgrade it from 2.4.0 to 2.5.2 but saw the first couple post to uninstall and reinstall and good now.

It would just be nice to have a menu option so that checking for updates does not give a false update needed.
This last sentence is confusing. If your WAN connection is down, which "updates" are you checking? scMerlin updates? F/W updates?

Why would you check for any "updates" if your WAN is not connected?

Or, are you referring to the NTP synchronization attempts as "updates"?

EDIT:
BTW, I've finished writing the code to add the option to toggle the "NTP Ready" check from the SSH script or the webGUI, but I still need to run more testing & verification. Not sure if I'll be able to finish all my testing by tonight.

scMerlinSSHUI_NTPReadyToggle.jpg

scMerlinWebGUI_NTPReadyToggle.jpg

Last edited:
This last sentence is confusing. If your WAN connection is down, which "updates" are you checking? scMerlin updates? F/W updates?

Why would you check for any "updates" if your WAN is not connected?

Or, are you referring to the NTP synchronization attempts as "updates"?
Neither.

Because I have modified the script, AMTM and the script itself both report that an update is available.

An option to disable ntp check would stop this from happening.

😱
And you want support? 🙄
OP is asking to add a feature so they don‘t have to modify the script - which triggers the MD5 update notification. Nothing wrong with that.

Wasn't even serious. British humour (sarcasm).
I do like the idea of the ready check 👍🏼

Wasn't even serious. British humour (sarcasm).
I do like the idea of the ready check 👍🏼
amtm 4.5.1 was meant to come without the MD5 check, I removed it completely. But then I realized it is also a safety feature. If the local and remote file hashes differ something changed. In the case of @RandomUser777 this was deliberate. But it may also indicate that something unfavorable happened to the local file.

amtm 4.5.1 was meant to come without the MD5 check, I removed it completely. But then I realized it is also a safety feature. If the local and remote file hashes differ something changed. In the case of @RandomUser777 this was deliberate. But it may also indicate that something unfavorable happened to the local file.
I definitely agree that keeping the hash check is important.

@thelonelycoder,

I've submitted a GitHub PR with my latest changes for the next "2.5.3" release version. Here is the info for the Release Notes:

1) NEW webGUI option to enable/disable the "NTP Ready" check performed at startup.
2) NEW webGUI option to enable/disable the "dnsmasq tainted" watchdog script.
3) NEW SSH UI menu option to enable/disable the "NTP Ready" check performed at startup.
4) NEW SSH UI menu option to view internal storage usage: JFFS & NVRAM.
5) Some code improvements.

The new WebGUI options:

scMerlinWebGUI_ConfigToggles.jpg

New SSH UI menu options to view internal storage usage & to enable/disable the "NTP Ready" check:

scMerlinSSHUI_InternalStorage.jpg

scMerlinSSHUI_JFFS_NVRAM.jpg

Neither.

Because I have modified the script, AMTM and the script itself both report that an update is available.

An option to disable ntp check would stop this from happening.
Ah, now that makes more sense. I just submitted the PR with my changes. I hope this addresses your situation.

updated perfectly for me looks hunky-dory. 👍

@Martinski @thelonelycoder

Wanted to say thanks for the option to disable NTP check. I swapped out my main router and a node, and did a complete factory reset. I wanted to get the new router almost virtually online before the swap that way downtime was minimized, so being able to have scripts, including scmerlin, live through several reboots with no wan connection was very helpful.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!