What's new

Which router for WAN performance

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rille_lkp

New Around Here
Sorry if this has been asked before but haven't found any threads by searching and all reviews focus on WiFi-performance.
I'm currently looking for an Asus router that can handle 1/1gig WAN<->LAN throughput without issues. WiFi-performance is of no importance (it will have WiFi disabled).
Would RT-AX56U be an option (looking at CPU/RAM)? I currently have an RT-N66U but it struggles with concurrent upload/download.

Apart from WAN throughput and the lack of WiFi are there any other features that you require, e.g. VPN, QoS, AiProtection, etc? I'm just wondering why you're limiting your choices to Asus wireless routers.

RT-AC86U

I do need a VPN-server (currently using the stock one in my Asus) but my needs are pretty much standard features (basic firewall, upnp and so on).
Reason i'm looking at Asus is i'm very happy with the stability and uptime on the one i have and i'm familiar with it and Merlins firmware.

Would the AC86U be a better option? It's priced almost the same.

SG-5100 is a bit more than what i had in mind. I did consider running a VM with pfsense on my ESX host but came to the conclusion that a standard router meets my needs, gives better uptime and is more energy efficient.

You have posted some good options. You could go with the AC86U or the AX56U. It sounds like you want a Wifi router that's going to be very reliable for you for a long time into the future similar to how your trusty old N66U has been.

If you don't mind spending more money then you could do yourself a favor and invest in the AX86U. It's the latest greatest in AX/Wifi 6. It's a forum fan favorite. It uses a quad core 1.8Ghz main SoC processor. It's has blazing fast Ethernet LAN, WAN and Wifi. It's been tested in online reviews as having extremely low latency. It has an extra configurable 2.5GbE port. It's going to be around for many years to come and it has Merlin support. You wouldn't regret it.

Last edited: