What's new

ASUS RT-N66U Dark Knight Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried that, selected Bittorrent, changed ports, selected TCP/UDP. Theclient still says ports are not open. What do i need to fill in at local port?

Are you using that same port that the transmission client in downloadmaster uses (51...something?). I have no problem with ktorrent and a port in the range of 4xxxx, but I don't remember which firmware I had when set up the port forwarding.

Are you using that same port that the transmission client in downloadmaster uses (51...something?). I have no problem with ktorrent and a port in the range of 4xxxx, but I don't remember which firmware I had when set up the port forwarding.

I haven't installed Downloadmaster. There is still an install option on the screen that I can click. Can you please explain how you set-up port-forwarding for torrent?

Simply go to WAN, then to virtual server, then in the port forward list compile the blank fields with the desired values. When completed click on the + sign to add to the list.

Alternatively you can use the port triggering or if your client is upnp capable, enable the upnp service in wan/internet connection/basic config area.

Ah, I don't remember with which firmware version it was found, but I've seen reports about the port forwarding not working if the dhcp was disabled.

I haven't installed Downloadmaster. There is still an install option on the screen that I can click. Can you please explain how you set-up port-forwarding for torrent?

what ports do you have marked in your torrent client ? Or are you using upnp ? I have no problem openning port for utor

wan > virt server/port forwarding >service name tor > port range whatever you chose in client >local ip of comp your using >local port leave blank , same as port range port > protocl both > click + then apply and you're done

this works with 108 112

Has anyone had any issues with other devices connecting to it? I ran into an issue where my treadmill which has Android software won't connect to this router but it did our Apple Extreme fine. :/

Has anyone had any issues with other devices connecting to it? I ran into an issue where my treadmill which has Android software won't connect to this router but it did our Apple Extreme fine. :/

Yes, and the advice that worked for me was to clear the router's nvram after upgrading the firmware. You could try that. Just enable telnet on your router, and use these commands:

mtd-erase -d nvram
reboot

This helped me connect a Verizon Network Extender...it wouldn't come up until I did this. If you're not upgrading your firmware, you could just try the above commands, and then reconfigure your router since this will have wiped out your settings.

Might be worth a try.

what ports do you have marked in your torrent client ? Or are you using upnp ? I have no problem openning port for utor

wan > virt server/port forwarding >service name tor > port range whatever you chose in client >local ip of comp your using >local port leave blank , same as port range port > protocl both > click + then apply and you're done

this works with 108 112

Thanks for the explanation. Mine has still .90 firmware. Might gonna update first.
Other question: Wher can I find the WAN MAC address?

Thanks for the explanation. Mine has still .90 firmware. Might gonna update first.
Other question: Wher can I find the WAN MAC address?

The WAN MAC address is here:

WAN -> Internet Connection

and at the bottom of that page. It isn't easy to find, I agree *smile*.

Yes, and the advice that worked for me was to clear the router's nvram after upgrading the firmware. You could try that. Just enable telnet on your router, and use these commands:

mtd-erase -d nvram
reboot

This helped me connect a Verizon Network Extender...it wouldn't come up until I did this. If you're not upgrading your firmware, you could just try the above commands, and then reconfigure your router since this will have wiped out your settings.

Might be worth a try.

Will give it a try. How do I telnet into it? :p

Will give it a try. How do I telnet into it? :p

First you need to enable telnet here:

Administration -> System -> Enable Telnet

Then log into 192.168.1.1 using a telnet session, assuming that's the IP address of your router. Personally, I use "putty" on Windows.

You can do the same thing by placing router into recovery mode, static IP network adapter to 192.168.1.2 and opening web browser to 192.168.1.1 to use the miniweb server.

Attachments

• recovery.JPG
    recovery.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 426
I did the reset still problems. I am RMAing this router back and going back to the Apple Extreme for now. Oh well. Too many issues so far with this router.

Have any of you gotten any sense of the existence of hardware problems with this router?

The reason I ask is that I will need to buy one when the wretched firmware is under control and would like to know if a new hardware release is likely in the near future. Looking at how the price is holding up, I am guessing that they are not shipping a whole lot of them at this time. Or demand is simply very high. Possibly retooling for a new version?

Any fix for Suzhou "locale setting"?

This is a good one. I have the RT-N66U running .108 [received it new with .96] as a WAP only, connected to a MoCa ActionTec router from Verizon with the wireless turned off. I will put the RT-N66U in front of the AT when the ASUS f/w gets a more stable version... or maybe try Tomato, or wait for DD-WRT, who knows...

Anyway, with the config above, my smartphone [HTC EVO] is pulling my "local" weather from Suzhou China! I cannot change this in the router. I tried changing the NTP Internet Server to: time-a.nist.gov, no luck updating....

Did anyone ever figure this out? I too have a nice forecast for Suzhou China on my smartphone (74F and intermittent clouds) and would really prefer to see my local weather! Also, if I set the "Date and Time" setting on my phone to acquire via the network, it also pulls up the Suzhou time as my phone time - not good.

F/W: 3.0.0.3.112
Time Zone: Pacific Time (US & Canada)
Daylight Savings Time: Tried it both ways
NTP Server: us.pool.ntp.org. Also tried time-a.nist.gov.

Thanks in advance!!!

Last edited:
I just upgraded to 112 firmware and I'm getting choppy results when viewing video streaming over wifi, both 2.4ghz and 5ghz, even I'm just 1 foot away from the router. It starts out good then video seems like it's playing in slow motion with sound cutting in and out. Anyone else have this issue? Is there some setting I need to adjust or should I go back to 108 firmware?

Originally Posted by HawkInOz
Anybody know what the largest supported size is for the MicroSD slot? Thanks.
Bump......
Howdy,
probably the largest sdhc cards which are available. 32gb sdhc

I just upgraded to 112 firmware and I'm getting choppy results when viewing video streaming over wifi, both 2.4ghz and 5ghz, even I'm just 1 foot away from the router. It starts out good then video seems like it's playing in slow motion with sound cutting in and out. Anyone else have this issue? Is there some setting I need to adjust or should I go back to 108 firmware?

no , everything plays well here from 60feet through 3 walls on both bands . . what settings you using wmm applied ? Did you clear settings (hard reset ) from 108 and set yp 112 fresh or ise old settings ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.