What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.374.37 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I experience better signal strength with SDK5, even after lowering it from the default value, and devices connect to the router much quicker than SDK6.

In light of recent complications with SDK5 I think I will do a fresh install of your latest SDK6 build.

If your using the n66 be prepared for a serious drop in signal output using the SDK6 version. :eek:

If your using the n66 be prepared for a serious drop in signal output using the SDK6 version.

That's why I started using the SDK5 build, but if development of that one is going to be difficult, then SDK6 is going to have to be used to benefit from updates.

That's why I started using the SDK5 build, but if development of that one is going to be difficult, then SDK6 is going to have to be used to benefit from updates.

We'll for me excellent signal range was one of my main reasons for buying the N66 and if that changes then it will most likely just move on to another manufacture. Not saying one is better then another I just want a router that works with out all the fuss and waiting for firmware fixes every other month.

If your using the n66 be prepared for a serious drop in signal output using the SDK6 version. :eek:

The range is shorter but not much for me. There are added wireless features in SDK6(compare options in the wireless pro section) that helps optimize wireless throughput that I like. The only thing left with SDK5 is range, optimization has been frozen. Since range is not a problem for me, SDK6 is best due to the solid throughput I get from it.

The range is shorter but not much for me. There are added wireless features in SDK6(compare options in the wireless pro section) that helps optimize wireless throughput that I like. The only thing left with SDK5 is range, optimization has been frozen. Since range is not a problem for me, SDK6 is best due to the solid throughput I get from it.

nice to see some positive feedback with sdk6. i know asus really shot themselves in the foot with wireless drivers, but i also intend to stick with sdk6 when i finally start using this thing as an AP. i'm on sdk6 because i'm only using the thing as a router for the moment. i can't imagine sdk6 having worse range than the linksys e2000 i'm currently using as an AP, at least...

The USB issues were resolved with the new GPL code I got from Asus last week. Last night's tests with the new driver went well, however the SDK5 versions is currently completely broken (router fails to boot).

When will the SDK6 version of 374.37 be available for the N66U, I can't find it in your MediaFire share, or are you going to jump straight to 374.38?

he pulled 37 because he found some other issues with it. i'm only still using it because i haven't had any problems with what little i do currently use the N66 for. your best bet would be to use the 36beta until he's ready to drop 38.

[edit/]

That is currently shaping up as the plan: release 374.38 without its SDK5 sibling for now, and see if people report positive enough feedback with the new driver to make SDK5 builds either no longer required. If not, I will take another look at it later on when I get more time to spend on it. My time will be a bit limited over the next week to do further tests on this (and I still have the RT-N16 that needs to be tested on the new code too).

The annoying bit is that it's a 15-minutes process every time I have to reflash the N66U over its recovery interface - that really slows things down.

as of yesterday

Last edited:
When will the SDK6 version of 374.37 be available for the N66U, I can't find it in your MediaFire share, or are you going to jump straight to 374.38?

I'll be going straight to 374.38. No firm release date yet, I still have issues with the SDK5 build, and now that I finally got a chance to test it last night, the RT-N16 firmware is also completely broken by the recent code update. If fixing either of these takes too long, I will push out 374.38 without these two.

Keep in mind that I'm currently working with pre-release code from Asus, so they haven't fully tested it either on all those devices.

I'll be going straight to 374.38. No firm release date yet, I still have issues with the SDK5 build, and now that I finally got a chance to test it last night, the RT-N16 firmware is also completely broken by the recent code update. If fixing either of these takes too long, I will push out 374.38 without these two.

Keep in mind that I'm currently working with pre-release code from Asus, so they haven't fully tested it either on all those devices.

Don't burn yourself out. This is supposed to be a fun hobby. It seems like its becoming a full time job's worth of work for you. I don't want to see you posting that you need to get away from this for a while because it is becoming too much. It would be better to drop support for older routers, match Asus' cadence of releases or otherwise limit the scope of what you want to accomplish. Just my two cents. I know, FOR EXAMPLE, if you dropped support for the AC66U, I would go out and get a AC68U just to get your latest and greatest new features.

FOR EXAMPLE, if you dropped support for the AC66U, I would go out and get a AC68U just to get your latest and greatest new features.

Same here. Will only use routers that Merlin supports.

Same here.. I will only use devices Merlin supports.. Even if replacing my beloved N66U is going to be painful and costly- so be it..

No not me. I'm staying with my old reliable N66U if Merlin abandoned us cause I'm not a believer of changing anything that still serves my purpose. When the router no longer serves and/or there's security holes that Asus will not patch, then that's the time to move on.;)

Last edited:
I agree with bluepoint.

But I would still be running the latest most stable RMerlin firmware on the 'ancient' RT-N66U that is then available.

Why work on pre-release code from Asus? :confused:
Unless they pay you I would not do that.
Takes way too much of your free time.

Just stick with the public released stuff and do your magic with that.
I hope you will support the RT-N66U with the SDK5 drivers.
A lot of us need the extra range like I do.

However it is ridiculous Asus/Broadcom didn't fix that issue by now!
We can't ask you to support SDK5 in lenght of days because they don't fix it by themselves!

Time will tell, but I'm not going to ditch my router because of this.
Currently it does everything I want it to do. :)

No not me. I'm staying with my old reliable N66U if Merlin abandoned us cause I'm not a believer of changing anything that still serves my purpose. When the router no longer serves and/or there's security holes that Asus will not patch, then that's the time to move on.;)

I agree with you, but I just LOVE buying and playing with new kit. Any excuse and my wallet is open - it does not have to be expensive for me to enjoy either. Should be getting my Nexus 7 (2013) today. Waiting for the Amazon van :D.

Builder71,

As a guess on why pre-release code is used by RMerlin; it works better or fixes an existing known issue.

At least RMerlin tests his builds (and lets us test them too as a beta) before they're considered stable.

Asus... I guess they have to deal with Broadcom (for now). Hope the Quantenna partnership with the RT-AC87U is better if/when driver problems arise.

Just my two cents. I know, FOR EXAMPLE, if you dropped support for the AC66U, I would go out and get a AC68U just to get your latest and greatest new features.

Nice for you, but not all of us have that luxury - the AC66U was a big dent in my budget and I can't afford a 68U at the moment. Besides, what if the 68U has problems in 6 months, should we all buy the new 70U?

I hope RMerlin is able to address the issues, and thank him very much for his work thus far!

I agree with you, but I just LOVE buying and playing with new kit. Any excuse and my wallet is open - it does not have to be expensive for me to enjoy either. Should be getting my Nexus 7 (2013) today. Waiting for the Amazon van :D.

I'm selling a bridge, you might want to find an excuse.:D

Have you tried disconnecting each hardwired client one by one to determine which one causes it. Maybe it has to do with the network adapter/controller of that particular client. Maybe between us we can see similarities in the chip and or settings.

Thanks for responding. I tried unplugging everything from the router including the WAN and the refresh problem remains. The client list never updates after initially populated, and clicking the refresh button clears the list and it remains empty until reboot.

I also tried the Factory Default Restore button under the Administration page to rule out any configuration changes I might have made. Before changing any settings I again tried the refresh and it was still non-functional.