What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 3004.388.7 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

You're not alone on this. Almost 48 hours working fine and suddenly I lost Internet connection. I was using Quad9 + DoT just fine. I tried to use DNSSEC instead, it worked for 10 minutes and same thing. Disabled DNSSEC and DoT and everything back to normal. Plus, it reverted on Band 1 5Ghz 160Mhz to 80Mhz, something it had stopped doing long ago. I restarted the router and reflashed, same thing. It is the first time in months that I have issues with Merlin firmware. Additional data: I use a Nokia modem from my ISP provider. Internet connection to that modem working fine. Weird.
Quad9 already does DNSSEC on its servers. You don’t need to add to the router’s load by doing it locally. Especially with DoT ensuring your queries aren’t tampered with.

Was there any other memory work done, other than "Updated free memory report on networkmap"?

The reason I ask is that on previous builds, my free memory would trickle down to almost nothing over time. With this build, it consistently shows the same (high) amount free, which I see as a great improvement!

Dirty upgrade for me from 388.6_2 then a reboot after one hour. Let it run for a few days - just in case, but it's been faultless since (pic).
No problems (that others have posted) with System Log / New Log Entries / DNSSEC / DoT / WiFi DropOuts / Connection Failures etc.
Thanks again @RMerlin another smooth and faultless upgrade (for me / my setup).

388.7.jpg

Was there any other memory work done, other than "Updated free memory report on networkmap"?

The reason I ask is that on previous builds, my free memory would trickle down to almost nothing over time. With this build, it consistently shows the same (high) amount free, which I see as a great improvement!
No, it's simply as I have stated multiple times in the past: there was no memory leak, it was just cache usage slowly increasing. The webui is just showing you reclaimable memory rather than just unused memory.

Quad9 already does DNSSEC on its servers. You don’t need to add to the router’s load by doing it locally. Especially with DoT ensuring your queries aren’t tampered with.
I know but I was testing different settings to check which one of them was wrong.

Dot + DNSSEC = ×
Dot = x
DNSSEC = x
DNS without DOT or DNSSEC= ✓

I also tried with ControlD and Cloudflare, even ISP DNS servers and still same result.

Dot is broken for me in this version.

UPDATE: DoT now works but with Opportunistic mode. It was working on Strict mode before firmware flash.

Last edited:
Okay not sure if this still kinda constitutes as a so-called "dirty flash" ...I installed the new edition of Merlin firmware over the previous one then created a backup file saved it ...then I performed a "factory reset" then uploaded my Config file and its been running perfectly... I believe this is probably the absolute best way to do this .

(Asus AX86U Pro) 😎👌.

If you upload a configfile it is kind of a "dirty upgrade". "Clean" installation is to perform a factoryreset AFTER upgrade to new software and rebuild the system manually.

If you upload a configfile it is kind of a "dirty upgrade". "Clean" installation is to perform a factoryreset AFTER upgrade to new software and rebuild the system manually.
So ...a Clean "complete 100%" upgrade means literally doing everything from scratch .

So I have essentially performed a 50/50 ....mmm so the same principal like with a mobile phone do a factory reset which wipes everything then you have to install everything from scratch apps the lot or like a Windows 10/11 install from scratch takes ages but is this truly necessary is a 50/50 method more than good enough or 1 step beter than a dirty upgrade.

So like this basically rated out of 3.

1. 100% Clean install wipes the lot and I setup everything from scratch.
2 .50/50 method dirty upgrade+ factory reset then upload config file .
3. Dirty upgrade only .

So would option 1 still be the absolute way to go ?? Or is it still worth of an "purest option" for piece of mind.

Is number 2 more than good enough . 🤔🙂.

I think its kind of like a 'quick spongebath upgrade' ;)

Yes, I have activated DoH (automatic setting), so these messages are normal ?
View attachment 58329
Yes, the messages are normal. That setting now prevents the use of Apple Private Relay and Mail Privacy Protection, which uses those mask.icloud.com servers you're seeing in the log. If you want to use Apple Private Relay or Mail Privacy Protection, set Prevent client auto DoH to "No". The log messages will then stop.

I think its kind of like a 'quick spongebath upgrade' ;)
Pretty much what I thought it's it's exactly the same as doing an Android OS upgrade over time cache and dirty files or corrupt files get left behind and can cause issues or slowness or the handset. I suppose it's more for convenience rather than operation ...It's still best to do an upgrade wipe then setup from fresh .

Is number 2 more than good enough . 🤔🙂.

I've been "dirty-upgrading" Asus-Merlin for years on multiple Asus routers. Merlin does such a good job on keeping things tidy that I've never had any issue with it whatsoever. Not saying it couldn't happen, maybe there've been issues with people running heavier software configs than me, but I don't even remotely think about it anymore. Its not at all like the old days in DD-WRT with all kinds of dodgy code that would mangle up the config between major version rewrites.

Non-scientific subjective report - router responsiveness seems snappier since 388.7? Both GUI response to browser requests as well as shell access.

Maybe just optimistic confirmation-bias but really in particular the browser GUI response seems noticeably better.

Also: new Sysinfo page is great, much tidier.

Just did a clean upgrade on an AX88U. Is anyone else encountering an issue where the DNS service selector page is rendering behind the control panel screen?

Yes, the messages are normal. That setting now prevents the use of Apple Private Relay and Mail Privacy Protection, which uses those mask.icloud.com servers you're seeing in the log. If you want to use Apple Private Relay or Mail Privacy Protection, set Prevent client auto DoH to "No". The log messages will then stop.
thank you for this information.
It's better to leave it on Auto ? that avoids data leaks, isn't it from what I understand ?

Just did a clean upgrade on an AX88U. Is anyone else encountering an issue where the DNS service selector page is rendering behind the control panel screen?
You mean the DDNS service drop-down? Nope works fine for me. Have you forced browser refresh? Asus GUI has always had issues for me in Chrome with funny screen painting here and there, CTRL-click always fixes it.

You mean the DDNS service drop-down? Nope works fine for me. Have you forced browser refresh? Asus GUI has always had issues for me in Chrome with funny screen painting here and there, CTRL-click always fixes it.
Nope, the DNS service (screenshot below). I was able to get it to open properly once, but everytime since then it's showing up behind the main panel. I might try a different browser.

DNS service.png