What's new

ntpMerlin ntpMerlin - NTP Daemon for AsusWRT Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Any errors in syslog or terminal if running manually?

Also check for JS errors in your browser
This
Code:
Dec 28 22:02:20 rc_service: httpd 286:notify_rc start_ntpmerlin
Dec 28 22:02:20 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: start ntpmerlin)
Dec 28 22:02:20 rc: received unrecognized event: ntpmerlin

I get the same for the uptime monitoring, these are both after I press update stats.

Code:
Dec 28 22:04:12 rc_service: httpd 286:notify_rc start_connmon
Dec 28 22:04:12 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: start connmon)
Dec 28 22:04:12 rc: received unrecognized event: connmon

It works again now, dunno why or how or what but it works :)

This
Code:
Dec 28 22:02:20 rc_service: httpd 286:notify_rc start_ntpmerlin
Dec 28 22:02:20 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: start ntpmerlin)
Dec 28 22:02:20 rc: received unrecognized event: ntpmerlin

I get the same for the uptime monitoring, these are both after I press update stats.

Code:
Dec 28 22:04:12 rc_service: httpd 286:notify_rc start_connmon
Dec 28 22:04:12 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: start connmon)
Dec 28 22:04:12 rc: received unrecognized event: connmon

It works again now, dunno why or how or what but it works :)
Those unrecognized events are expected, I think @RMerlin added it in 384.14
They won't actually impact the scripts running though

Those unrecognized events are expected, I think @RMerlin added it in 384.14
They won't actually impact the scripts running though

Adding that log entry was helpful when debugging webui work, or when I was manually running commands over SSH but couldn't tell if I had remembered the syntax right, but I agree that it might be counter-intuitive now that third party developers are starting to leverage services-event. I'll give it some thought to determine if I should remove it or not.

Adding that log entry was helpful when debugging webui work, or when I was manually running commands over SSH but couldn't tell if I had remembered the syntax right, but I agree that it might be counter-intuitive now that third party developers are starting to leverage services-event. I'll give it some thought to determine if I should remove it or not.
I think it is OK as it is, I can see if my service call is at least being picked up with the current behaviour :)

I think it is OK as it is, I can see if my service call is at least being picked up with the current behaviour :)

The custom_script log entry will provide you with that information.

The custom_script log entry will provide you with that information.
I added the following to /jffs/scripts/service-event to see what services were being called when I was developing scribe.
Code:
printf "$( date ) \taction: %-8s \ttarget: %-8s \t( $( basename $0 ) )\n" "$1" "$2" >> /opt/var/log/services.log

I recently setup scribe and have since noticed a flood of these logs from ntpd while ntpmerlin is running:

Code:
Jan  6 00:30:03 RT-AC86U ntpd[2418]: bind(37) AF_INET6 fe80::xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx%9#123 flags 0x11 failed: Cannot assign requested address
Jan  6 00:30:03 RT-AC86U ntpd[2418]: unable to create socket on bcmsw (547) for fe80::xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx%9#123
Jan  6 00:30:03 RT-AC86U ntpd[2418]: failed to init interface for address fe80::xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx%9

...^^^ times like 1000, then ending in

Jan  6 00:30:03 RT-AC86U ntpd[2418]: ntpd exiting on signal 15 (Terminated)

Also it seems the deamon does not respond while this occurs, but the webui seems to show proper operation. I'm running the latest merlin and amtm scripts. My ntpmerlin config is:
server 0.us.pool.ntp.org
server 1.us.pool.ntp.org
server 2.us.pool.ntp.org
server 3.us.pool.ntp.org

Otherwise everything else is working great. This may have been caused by a bunch of changes I made to the scripts, including adding scribe and updating skynet, diversion, yazfi, etc. I have uninstalled ntpmerlin and am using the built in ntpd for now until I can get this sorted. Any ideas what if anything is wrong here?

This seems strange, but it appears ntpMerlin v2.2.0 is DELETING my /jffs/configs/ntp.conf file every time it starts. I have to restore this file from backup to get ntp working again after every restart. What could possibly be causing this?

This seems strange, but it appears ntpMerlin v2.2.0 is DELETING my /jffs/configs/ntp.conf file every time it starts. I have to restore this file from backup to get ntp working again after every restart. What could possibly be causing this?
OK, I looked at the script and you are moving it to addons purposely. Is this something new? I keep getting "No association ID's returned" from ntpq, and this error goes away when I restore /jffs/configs/ntp.conf.

nlurker, I noticed the same behavior. Not sure but it seems the file is cp'd to ntpmerlin.d.

OK, I looked at the script and you are moving it to addons purposely. Is this something new? I keep getting "No association ID's returned" from ntpq, and this error goes away when I restore /jffs/configs/ntp.conf.
Yes, it's new. Merlin has requested scripts/addons such as mine store their files in a single directory where possible. S77ntpd should have been updated to point to the new conf file, or are you doing something different?

I recently setup scribe and have since noticed a flood of these logs from ntpd while ntpmerlin is running:

Code:
Jan  6 00:30:03 RT-AC86U ntpd[2418]: bind(37) AF_INET6 fe80::xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx%9#123 flags 0x11 failed: Cannot assign requested address
Jan  6 00:30:03 RT-AC86U ntpd[2418]: unable to create socket on bcmsw (547) for fe80::xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx%9#123
Jan  6 00:30:03 RT-AC86U ntpd[2418]: failed to init interface for address fe80::xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx%9

...^^^ times like 1000, then ending in

Jan  6 00:30:03 RT-AC86U ntpd[2418]: ntpd exiting on signal 15 (Terminated)

Also it seems the deamon does not respond while this occurs, but the webui seems to show proper operation. I'm running the latest merlin and amtm scripts. My ntpmerlin config is:
server 0.us.pool.ntp.org
server 1.us.pool.ntp.org
server 2.us.pool.ntp.org
server 3.us.pool.ntp.org

Otherwise everything else is working great. This may have been caused by a bunch of changes I made to the scripts, including adding scribe and updating skynet, diversion, yazfi, etc. I have uninstalled ntpmerlin and am using the built in ntpd for now until I can get this sorted. Any ideas what if anything is wrong here?
Which router network interface do you want to be an NTP server on? On mine, it is just br0. So ntp.conf should have the following:
Code:
interface ignore wildcard
interface listen br0
In your case, then ntpd would not attempt to bind and listen on bcmsw.

Yes, it's new. Merlin has requested scripts/addons such as mine store their files in a single directory where possible. S77ntpd should have been updated to point to the new conf file, or are you doing something different?
I don't know if I am doing something different. All I know is I started getting an ntpq error, and in trying to figure out why, I noticed that my ntp.conf file had been deleted. This raised all kinds of alarms with me so I restored it and restarted, and the error went away but the config was deleted again. I'm sorry if I missed your announcement of the config file change.

Last edited:
After I updated conmon and ntpmerlin yesterday (AC68U, 384.14_2), the graphs under Tools are gone for both. That never happened after previous updates. Will collect more info later today. "ps" shows that ntpd is running and using an existing ntp.conf. However, the last time the log file (referenced in ntp.conf) was updated was 20 hours ago.

After I updated conmon and ntpmerlin yesterday (AC68U, 384.14_2), the graphs under Tools are gone for both. That never happened after previous updates. Will collect more info later today. "ps" shows that ntpd is running and using an existing ntp.conf. However, the last time the log file (referenced in ntp.conf) was updated was 20 hours ago.
This happened to me as well. However, when I looked back at the announcement for the new versions, it turns out a forced update of each and a router reboot is required.