What's new

[Release 384/NG] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.5 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Do you torrent at all?
No. Devices that I guess wants to stay in contact with "their mothership" are things like cromecast, bose speaker, an energy consumption monitor, a tellstick live and so on.

Reflashed and factory reset and 24hrs test - still 2.4Ghz drops on AC3200. Such a shame. I have followed this project for 18 months. Going back to Asus firmware.
have ac3200 with merlin and never have any drops ...

On AC68 my OpenVPN servers both (TAP and TUN) hang (they stey forever in "initializing") after a network connection failure.
When the connection comes back, the VPN servers seem unable to restart. This happened 3 times, 1 time with previous fw version.
Factory reset when upgrading from 380.
NEVER happened with 380.

Router log https://pastebin.com/B2VrRa5V
TUN server config https://ibb.co/hhcOo8

Last edited:
have ac3200 with merlin and never have any drops ...

Do you mind sharing what setup you've chosen? For instance:

2,4 and 5 ghz as one or separate network, and what other tweaks you might have done?

Your info might be helpful to others...

To: Tagilso and Sativa

You both claim to have factory default, when it should be initialiazed, and no kind of old backups read in again...

Problably just a typo, but if you havent initialiazed, it's time

I did indeed initialise. Incidentally this issue is peculiar to this latest firmware, no prior issues on all other variants (I religiously update, so I have tried them all!).

I am now on Asus std firmware and so far no drops.

They does show correctly in the Network MAP though. So that part is also closed source now and you can't do anything to change that? BTW thanks for the reply :)

The networkmap doesn't use the DHCP lease list, it relies on a user-defined label, or an extrapolated name retrieved through various methods such as Netbios queries.

No. Devices that I guess wants to stay in contact with "their mothership" are things like cromecast, bose speaker, an energy consumption monitor, a tellstick live and so on.

I highly doubt just those devices would trigger the messages though, unless they have really bad software and essentially DDoS’d your router.

If you’re comfortable with doing network captures, the best way to find outs is probably running tcpdump on your router next time when your Internet is down, then you would know for sure which devices are phoning home that aggressively.

The networkmap doesn't use the DHCP lease list, it relies on a user-defined label, or an extrapolated name retrieved through various methods such as Netbios queries.

Understood, so is it possible to show user-defined labels on Wireless LOG page too? At least when it's in Access Point mode?

Understood, so is it possible to show user-defined labels on Wireless LOG page too? At least when it's in Access Point mode?

I don't know, I would have to study the code tinvolved o determine if it's doable or not.

I don't know, I would have to study the code tinvolved o determine if it's doable or not.

Alrighty, Thanks and no problemo you can do it whenever you have some spare time. [emoji4]

I highly doubt just those devices would trigger the messages though, unless they have really bad software and essentially DDoS’d your router.

If you’re comfortable with doing network captures, the best way to find outs is probably running tcpdump on your router next time when your Internet is down, then you would know for sure which devices are phoning home that aggressively.
I’ve never used that, any suggestions on what options to use? And how do I stop the command?

Reporting the same 2.4ghz issue with my ac 86u. Drops all clients. I just reboot the router and it's fine for about two days. I did not get these 2.4ghz drops with 384.4 beta

And can you provide logs so we can troubleshoot this? Enable debug logging please and share the log from the period of time this happens.

Eric,
Is there a way to get a full list of the dhcp leases? Since the network map doesn't always show the right pairings (for example in case the mac address is behind a repeater). It would be useful for troubleshooting.

Any many thanks for all of your efforts and patience through the years. :)

Last edited:
Eric,
Is there a way to get a full list of the dhcp leases? Since the network map doesn't always show the right pairings (for example in case the mac address is behind a repeater). It would be useful for troubleshooting.

Any many thanks for all of your efforts and patience through the years. :)

Only the primary router is aware of all the existing leases, since it's the one issuing them.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!