What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.374.33 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

n66u

wired and wifi- pings to the router fail periodically and it is consistent on different machines

ssh and gui session to router time out

Did you do a factory default reset after updating? This is required for the RT-N66U.

Having trouble even pinging the router over Ethernet is not normal.

I honestly doubt it, both based on RSSI from a client and actual real power being emitted.

I'm not sure if you manually picked channel 36 or it did. But, Tx power, channel selection, and channel width have a weird and often fluid relationship between them though. It might see DFS activity and limit your power or change your channel, or both, but also the things it's looking out for are often frequency hopping by design and intermittent in nature. So things it's asking your router to do tonight might not be present tomorrow.

If you're going to manually pick a channel, it just might not accept the Tx power and/or the channel width you select because of other RF stuff it sees and you don't. Different things happen any way you slice it, but I think if you really wanted to insure you were, using the widest possible channels, for example, you'd want to have channel selection on auto.

5ghz is relatively new to consumer WiFi, and it's a nice chunk of spectrum (5180-5825mhz! in the US vs 2412-2484 on 2.4ghz) but a big part of why Wi-Fi got it was automatic, unavoidable, (yet dynamic and relatively seamless) interoperability with nearby other transmitters (mostly weather radar and aviation use radar [which may actually be weather radar also, I can't tell if it's used for planes or clouds]). Different channels have different regulations in different parts of the world, and even if a channel is under DFS regulation, for example, that doesn't mean it is automatically imposed upon your router.

http://www.summitdata.com/blog/?p=752
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels
http://www.wi-fi.org/knowledge-center/glossary/8
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/col...aecd801c4a88_ps5279_Products_White_Paper.html

It is set to manually channel 36....and there are no other 5ghz networks around...setting the mode to auto ..then it wont use 80mhz mode. And the higher channels use that DFS thing, (which limits power right?) Wifi was quite flacky on the higher channels...36 has always worked the best for me...and given me the faster transfer speeds in my testing.

I have tested in in auto mode though.and again...tx adjustment does nothing...even on my N56u..had no effect.

One thing i miss..my cisco e3000...and tomato..i could get around those regulatory restrictions and use channels that aren't normally used in the us...if i wanted to...tomato came set as Singapore as the default regulatory mode for the wifi.

Last edited:
Great speedwith the latest version

Hey Merlin,

Thanks for the great work. This version is by far the best speed's I have gotten.
By the way Parent Control is working fine here my teen is not as happy as i am.
See the results. on 2.4 and 5 ghz

Again great job and thanks for all efforts much appreciated

Felow Canadian:D

Attachments

• IMG_1048.jpg
    IMG_1048.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 557
  • IMG_1049.jpg
    IMG_1049.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 301
Can i use rtn-12hp for this firmware?? I am currently runnning Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.342

The RT-N12 is not supported.

I was getting very bad performance with the lower priority. Setting it back to 0 gave me the same performance I was having with older firmwares where it was set too high - around 15 MB/s.

At 0, it's a balanced approach. If your router isn't too busy doing other things, then you will get full USB performance. If however you are running a torrent client, the two will have to share performance.

Since the device is primarily a router, I don't want to see routing performance affected by USB, hence I don't want to set it back to the highest priority.

If for some reason you think this is a problem, use the "renice" command to give smbd a higher priority (renice -19)

Thank you very much for fast answer! Please explain for nube (me) how to use use that command (renice -19) please. Thanks in advance

And another question. If I turn of the built-in firewall, whether USB should work with better speed?

Thank you very much for fast answer! Please explain for nube (me) how to use use that command (renice -19) please. Thanks in advance

And another question. If I turn of the built-in firewall, whether USB should work with better speed?

Do not turn off the firewall, it will not only expose you to the Internet, but will also prevent a large amount of features from working.

You will need to enable JFFS, create a services-start script with the renice command. There are plenty of posts on the forum on how to use user scripts, as well as documentation on the Wiki.

I'm trying to compile my own fw from the git, checkout version x.33 but still got an error message
Code:
sysdeps/broadcom/broadcom.c:2195: error: 'wl_bss_info_t' has no member named 'vht_cap'
I'm trying to get sdk6 version. Am I right when I am starting from src-rt folder? What is the proper procedure? Thanks.

Hi,

I just upgraded and I having a major problem. My connection to the router times out periodically, enough to a point that it will drop an SSH session. Has anyone experienced this before ? Is there a fix ?

Not sure if it's related, but after a few weeks of using the beta, I realised that the router now just drops the connection, as if it became idle after becoming tired, even though the basic services like Skype is still connected. Data just isn't being pass from one pc to another pc. However, once you reconnect or reset the connection, it feels alive again. You have to repeat the procedure when the router become "stuck" once in a while. I haven't tried this release yet, but I assume it's the same as the previous beta (3-6?). You can try RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_270.26b.zip and see if it fixes the issue for you.

I'm trying to compile my own fw from the git, checkout version x.33 but still got an error message
Code:
sysdeps/broadcom/broadcom.c:2195: error: 'wl_bss_info_t' has no member named 'vht_cap'
I'm trying to get sdk6 version. Am I right when I am starting from src-rt folder? What is the proper procedure? Thanks.

SDK6 firmwares must be built from src-rt-6.x

I already did the job. In fact I just forgot to cleanup after unsuccessful build so there were such weird messages. Many thanks. ;)

I am using a RT-AC66U router with the Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.374.33 firmware. At some point (e.g. firmware) I lost my 5GHz wireless using a Dell Latitude 6430 with a Dell Wireless 1540 card.

Everything else including the iPhone 5 shows the 5GHz wireless. Any thoughts?

I am using a RT-AC66U router with the Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.374.33 firmware. At some point (e.g. firmware) I lost my 5GHz wireless using a Dell Latitude 6430 with a Dell Wireless 1540 card.

I would try a low channel to rule it not seeing a high channel.

Maybe...

1. Have you looked for a driver update for the Dell Wireless 1540 card?

2. I assume that you've rebooted your laptop?

3. Have you "forgotten" the 5GHz. network on your Dell laptop, and then tried to connect after that?

I have installed Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.374.33 firmware on my Asus RT-AC66U and everything works, except the traffic log for IP´s on daily and monthly base.

I can't set a date (from / to) with google chorme and firefox.
Also I have cleared/resetted the log-file via admin-page. Unfortunately without success.

The live-view from connected IP´s with active connections and traffic is working.

Wont auto connect

AC56U and Intel AC-7260...and Win 8

I started having a weird issue of the wifi just dropping suddenly on my laptop.... after a few hours of normal use. Then....I noticed the wifi would not auto connect at boot....both the Intel software and the built in Windows wifi manager had this issues. Normally, the wifi would connect instantly adn the Intel software would make its chime and popup saying connected. It took some attempts, but after a min or 2, it would connect and stay connected just fine, until you rebooted...then same thing..

I thought it was my OS being derpy...as I had recently run Win update and had updated some system drivers...and, the other 2 wifi 5ghz devices I had(not AC) connected just fine right away...... so....I did a clean install of Win 8 Pro on my laptop and got everything re-setup....(I needed to anyway...) but.....it still showed this odd behavior...

I flashed back to stock firmware my AC56U...and the issue was fixed for a short time....now it started doing it again....I saw the Intel software say some thing about unknown authentication status..right before it connects...

Last edited:
Successfully upgraded from 374.33.beta1 to 374.33 SDK6, no issues so far.

Merlin, BTW I couldn't see any significant change in OpenVPN server performance.

AC56U and Intel AC-7260...and Win 8

I started having a weird issue of the wifi just dropping suddenly on my laptop.... after a few hours of normal use. Then....I noticed the wifi would not auto connect at boot....both the Intel software and the built in Windows wifi manager had this issues. Normally, the wifi would connect instantly adn the Intel software would make its chime and popup saying connected. It took some attempts, but after a min or 2, it would connect and stay connected just fine, until you rebooted...then same thing..

I thought it was my OS being derpy...as I had recently run Win update and had updated some system drivers...and, the other 2 wifi 5ghz devices I had(not AC) connected just fine right away...... so....I did a clean install of Win 8 Pro on my laptop and got everything re-setup....(I needed to anyway...) but.....it still showed this odd behavior...

I flashed back to stock firmware my AC56U...and the issue was fixed for a short time....now it started doing it again....I saw the Intel software say some thing about unknown authentication status..right before it connects...

Kind of a long-shot, but maybe try flipping the various "allow the PC to turn this device off to save power," "allow this device to wake the PC on network activity," etc options.

I have seen such funkiness in the past and at least in Win 8 w/ my PCI Ethernet NIC I actually had to turn on "allow the PC to turn this device off to save power," in order to make the other power savings/WOL settings visible to be toggled. It gets goofy because of the variety of "degrees of sleep" (for lack of a better phrase) that Win 7 & 8 can implement at a hardware level.

Also it might be worth uninstalling the Intel proprietary NIC manager and just relying on Win 8's systray/network manager to handle supervision of the NIC. I've seen OEM utilities butt heads w/ Windows' own handling of devices in the past.

3.0.0.4.374.32 upgrade to 3.0.0.4.374.33

Can i just upgrade from 3.0.0.4.374.32 to 3.0.0.4.374.33 without having to do anything special?

Last edited: