What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.374.37 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@svott I do not see this on my ac68u with 37_2. After I hit refresh I can see how the list gets rebuilt and the clients appear one by one. The spinner disappears after about a minute. The list closes at 6 items in my configuration.

hi merlin, i've noticed these lines in my syslog at boot.

i've not encountered any instability, though, afaik. haven't had any of the reboot problems you mentioned earlier in the thread. Not using the radios, etc., though.

Code:
Dec 31 19:00:17 kernel: nf_conntrack_rtsp v0.6.21 loading
Dec 31 19:00:17 kernel: nf_nat_rtsp v0.6.21 loading
Dec 31 19:00:18 kernel: HTB: quantum of class 10002 is big. Consider r2q change.
Dec 31 19:00:18 kernel: HTB: quantum of class 10060 is big. Consider r2q change.

dunno if this means anything to you. (N66R, 37_1-oldusb)

stuff i have going on;
HW Accel OFF/QoS ON
2x OpenVPN servers
microsd card installed, USB ports empty (Samba running)
MVPS HOSTS file
WiFi Radios Disabled
WAN connection AUTO
STP enabled

full syslog; http://pastebin.com/s9AZPhW6

My QoS settings are probably irregular, but this configuration gave me the best performance for gaming if netflix or torrenting is going on.

qos_auto_page
qos_priorities_page

Last edited:
hi merlin, i've noticed these lines in my syslog at boot.

i've not encountered any instability, though, afaik. haven't had any of the reboot problems you mentioned earlier in the thread. Not using the radios, etc., though.

Code:
Dec 31 19:00:17 kernel: nf_conntrack_rtsp v0.6.21 loading
Dec 31 19:00:17 kernel: nf_nat_rtsp v0.6.21 loading
Dec 31 19:00:18 kernel: HTB: quantum of class 10002 is big. Consider r2q change.
Dec 31 19:00:18 kernel: HTB: quantum of class 10060 is big. Consider r2q change.

dunno if this means anything to you. (N66R, 37_1-oldusb)

Those are normal, they are just warnings regarding the way Asus has set the QoS values.

RMerlin, are you getting anywhere with the USB drivers .37 N66U?

I understand that the Client Status list on the network page should be fixed in .37, but I still have the same problem on my AC68U running 37_2. When the router comes up from reboot it will display some of the connected devices, but will never update again when new devices are added (should it update when the page is reloaded without having to click refresh?). Clicking the refresh button causes the list to be cleared and remains empty forever with the spinner showing.

Is anyone else having this problem? I read a post from user TNR27 describing the same situation as myself and he identified it as a problem with a Windows Home Server machine. Interestingly, I also have a WHS but unplugging it from the wired network does not resolve my problem. Also interesting that TNR27 said disabling a radio causes the list to repopulate, which is effective for me as well. I think this may just be because it results in a restart of the I am nnetworkmap process.

I've tried playing around with it while looking at the source code. If I send SIGUSR1 to networkmap, I can see that the nvram setting networkmap_status changes to 1, and several seconds later it changes back to 0 again. This suggests to me that the arp scanning is working properly but the webui isn't getting the memo. In which case my problem is mostly unrelated to what Merlin recently fixed. Merlin, could this be true?
Thanks.

Have you tried disconnecting each hardwired client one by one to determine which one causes it. Maybe it has to do with the network adapter/controller of that particular client. Maybe between us we can see similarities in the chip and or settings.

RMerlin, are you getting anywhere with the USB drivers .37 N66U?

Yes, Asus fixed the issue in the GPL 374.2078 code that they sent me last week. The new version is just not ready for release yet.

It wasn't a USB driver issue BTW, it was a firmware handling code. Asus added support for more than two USB devices, and their code wasn't finalized yet in 374.501. It now is.

Question regarding network services filter

Does anyone know if Merlin's new build (build 3.0.0.4.374.37) will allow me to add more filters than the 32 limit set according to the router gui for the n56u.

Also what is the proper syntax for an ip range. Would 14.*.*.* be correct for a class 8. I do not have the ability to insert 14.0.0.0\8. It will not accept a slash.

Thanks in advance.

Running 37_2 on two AC68 routers.

Initials testing was bad, very bad, file transfer between the two was at 3.5MB/s, do to poor wifi signal between the two routers.

The location of the Media Bridge AC68 is not the best, since i only have a 10 foot cat6 cable. I have to shove it under a dresser to get the best signal and moving the router one inch left or right makes signal levels fluctuate quiet a bit, since there is a bathroom right under it. Its a painstaking process as i have to hit refresh for both routers in the Wireless Log and watch the Power Levels between two routers.

Now that i got the wifi side improved by lowering the signal level from -62dbm to -50dbm, tomorrow i will be doing actual file transfer over wifi between two routers.

The only issue that still plagues AC68, even in the latest FW 542; is the Client list. The Client list on the Media Bridge still shows clients as MAC Address and not as iphone or Office PC. But it works fine on the AC68 that is set up as wifi router. It does how ever, show Wireless Router as RT-AC68R.

Thats something else i noticed, even though i do have two AC68R's, it doesnt show them as 68U's with custom firmware. So it must be hard coded in to the router it self. It doesnt bother me but i find it interesting.

I dont use VPN, so i cant test it.

Edit:

I was able to lower WiFi power level to -48dBm between Router and Media Bridge, but the link speed is stuck at 130Mbps. I cant get 216Mbps back as i used to have with Beta firmware .501.
This is so frustrating... I just want the transfer speed of 8MB/s back and that i will find out tomorrow.

Last edited:
RMerlin,

All the firmwares that i have used on both AC68 routers; Asus firmwares and your firmwares, the link speed between the two that is shown in Wireless Log and dBm level is different in the main router and in the Media Bridge. They are not synced to each other. They are off by a few Mbps and few dBm.

Is this something you can fix or only Asus can fix?

Thanks.

Does anyone know if Merlin's new build (build 3.0.0.4.374.37) will allow me to add more filters than the 32 limit set according to the router gui for the n56u.

I don't support the RT-N56U.

RMerlin,

All the firmwares that i have used on both AC68 routers; Asus firmwares and your firmwares, the link speed between the two that is shown in Wireless Log and dBm level is different in the main router and in the Media Bridge. They are not synced to each other. They are off by a few Mbps and few dBm.

Is this something you can fix or only Asus can fix?

I have zero control over the wifi.

There is nothing unusual about having a different signal level, as they are relative. Each router is reporting how strong THEY are receiving the signal from the other router, so the number aren't expected to be identical.

It's like having two person talk to one another. How loud you can hear the other person depends on the quality of your hearing and how loud the other person is speaking. If you whisper and the other person shouts, you will say that you hear him too loud and he'll tell you that he can't hear you. Different sound level.

I have zero control over the wifi.

There is nothing unusual about having a different signal level, as they are relative. Each router is reporting how strong THEY are receiving the signal from the other router, so the number aren't expected to be identical.

It's like having two person talk to one another. How loud you can hear the other person depends on the quality of your hearing and how loud the other person is speaking. If you whisper and the other person shouts, you will say that you hear him too loud and he'll tell you that he can't hear you. Different sound level.

I understand what you are saying, but in this case i have two of the same routers running same exact firmware/s. Its no big deal, just would be nice to see a consistency of some sort.

The odd thing, is that the PC that is hardwired in to Media Bridge shows higher WiFi Link Speed. Asus removed that info from fw542 so you no longer see it. Im guessing that was a bug in the first place.

Thanks anyways.

Last edited:
problem with syslogd writing to /jffs

Hi there,

I'm running ver 374.37 and when I mount the /jffs partition via the webui I end up with two syslog.log files one in /tmp and one in /jffs. Any idea why this is happening or how to fix?

Code:
ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-AC56U_3.0.0.4 Tue Dec 31 17:29:26 UTC 2013
sysadmin@ldopa:/tmp/home/root# df
Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root                27776     27776         0 100% /
devtmpfs                127712         0    127712   0% /dev
tmpfs                   127816      4552    123264   4% /tmp
/dev/mtdblock5           32768      1236     31532   4% /jffs
/dev/sda1              3907072   2168928   1738144  56% /tmp/mnt/sda1

sysadmin@ldopa:/tmp/home/root# ps -w | grep syslog | grep -v grep
  345 sysadmin  1384 S    syslogd -m 0 -S -O /tmp/syslog.log -s 256 -l 7

sysadmin@ldopa:/tmp/home/root# ls -l /tmp/syslog.log /jffs/syslog.log
-rw-rw-rw-    1 sysadmin root        166097 Jan  6 21:46 /jffs/syslog.log
-rw-rw-rw-    1 sysadmin root        166097 Jan  6 21:46 /tmp/syslog.log

I tried to mount /jffs by hand and get the same issue.

Code:
sysadmin@ldopa:/tmp/home/root# mount -t jffs2 -o rw -o noatime /dev/mtdblock5 /jffs
sysadmin@ldopa:/tmp/home/root# df
Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root                27776     27776         0 100% /
devtmpfs                127712         0    127712   0% /dev
tmpfs                   127816      4572    123244   4% /tmp
/dev/sda1              3907072   2168928   1738144  56% /tmp/mnt/sda1
/dev/mtdblock5           32768      1212     31556   4% /jffs

sysadmin@ldopa:/tmp/home/root# ls -al /jffs
drwxr-xr-x    5 sysadmin root             0 Dec 31  1969 .
drwxr-xr-x   17 sysadmin root           320 Dec 31 09:31 ..
drwxr-xr-x    2 sysadmin root             0 Dec 31  2010 configs
drwxr-xr-x    2 sysadmin root             0 Dec 31  2010 scripts
-rw-rw-rw-    1 sysadmin root        166540 Jan  6 21:55 syslog.log

Code:
sysadmin@ldopa:/tmp/home/root# cat /proc/mounts
rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
/dev/root / squashfs ro,relatime 0 0
devtmpfs /dev devtmpfs rw,relatime,size=127712k,nr_inodes=31928,mode=755 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,relatime 0 0
tmpfs /tmp tmpfs rw,relatime 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw,relatime 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,relatime,mode=600 0 0
/dev/mtdblock5 /jffs jffs2 rw,noatime 0 0
usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs rw,relatime 0 0
/dev/sda1 /tmp/mnt/sda1 vfat rw,nodev,relatime,fmask=0000,dmask=0000,allow_utime=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=utf8,shortname=winnt,flush,errors=remount-ro 0 0

RT-AC68U VPN (PPTP) Question

Hi there,

I've been using 3.0.0.4.374.37 for a while now on my RT-AC68U and was wondering if you have seen any problems with the PPTP VPN client? (in the tab: VPN / PPTP/L2TP )

I have tried to connect to 2 different VPN providers (IPVanish / Hidemyass) but they both seem to fail at the end with this error:

Code:
LCP terminated by peer (MPPE required but peer negotiation failed)

(I tried setting different options in the 'VPN Details' tab but it didn't seem to change anything).

The only difference I could see between the 2 log files was that one also gave an options error (below)
For some reason the L2TP client works fine for both providers.

I haven't tested any previous firmware as this is a new router, in the past on my old router I put the details directly in the WAN tab instead, but it is much more convenient in this firmware to have multiple connections available.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance for your help.

btw, thanks for the great work, except for this everything is working great for me so far.

Here is an extract of the 2 log files:

Ipvanish:

Code:
Jan  7 07:56:46 rc_service: httpd 523:notify_rc restart_vpncall
Jan  7 07:56:47 pptp[1688]: Plugin pptp.so loaded.
Jan  7 07:56:47 pptp[1688]: PPTP plugin version 0.8.5 compiled for pppd-2.4.5, linux-2.6.36.4
Jan  7 07:56:47 pptp[1689]: pppd 2.4.5 started by admin, uid 0
Jan  7 07:56:49 pptp[1689]: Using interface ppp5
Jan  7 07:56:49 pptp[1689]: Connect: ppp5 <--> pptp (x.x.x.x)
Jan  7 07:56:52 pptp[1689]: CHAP authentication succeeded
Jan  7 07:56:52 pptp[1689]: LCP terminated by peer (MPPE required but peer negotiation failed)

Hidemyass:

Code:
Jan  7 07:42:20 rc_service: httpd 523:notify_rc restart_vpncall
Jan  7 07:42:22 pptp[1416]: Plugin pptp.so loaded.
Jan  7 07:42:22 pptp[1416]: PPTP plugin version 0.8.5 compiled for pppd-2.4.5, linux-2.6.36.4
Jan  7 07:42:22 pptp[1417]: pppd 2.4.5 started by admin, uid 0
Jan  7 07:42:23 pptp[1417]: Using interface ppp5
Jan  7 07:42:23 pptp[1417]: Connect: ppp5 <--> pptp (x.x.x.x)
Jan  7 07:42:23 pptp[1417]: CHAP authentication succeeded
Jan  7 07:42:23 kernel: mppe_decomp_alloc: options rejected: o[0]=12, o[1]=06, o[2]=00, o[3]=00, o[4]=00, o

[5]=00
Jan  7 07:42:26 pptp[1417]: LCP terminated by peer (MPPE required but peer negotiation failed)
Jan  7 07:42:29 pptp[1417]: Connection terminated.
Jan  7 07:42:30 pptp[1417]: Modem hangup

hi merlin, something else i haven't seen before showed up in syslog

Code:
Jan  6 08:07:11 kernel: nf_ct_ras: decoding error: out of range

dunno what triggered it, there's nothing immediately before or after it in the log. assuming it also has to do with QoS since i've only recently activated it as the network has been busy.

[edit/] found this thread, so feel free to disregard

RT-AC68U (374.37) and VPN-pptp won't connect

I seems that after the first connect/disconnect of VPN-client I can't connect again.
I have to restart the VPN-service to connect. But again, after connecting/disconnecting VPN first time I can't connect again. (somethimes I can connect a couple of times before I need to restart the VPN-service.)

I've tried stock Asus 3.0.0.4.374.542 and experience the same thing.

Is this a known problem, with a workaround?

(Using Win8.1)

RT-AC68U / 3.0.0.4.374.37 / PPTP VPN connection issues

Thanks to vt1431 for pointing out the solution to my 'mppe error' from one of Merlins previous posts by putting the following:

Code:
nvram set vpnc_pptp_options_x="+mppe-128"
nvram commit

I did notice that i'm now also having the similar problem as fasst reported today where it only seems to connect every few tries, for some reason this is happening for both VPN providers I tried.
When it doesn't connect, it seems to always get stuck at :
Code:
Connect: ppp5 <--> pptp (x.x.x.x)
and then doesn't retry at all.

Some attempts it does connect after a few retries but then speed can be amazingly slow at +/- 1 mbit. Other times it works normally at +/-17 mbit.

I was originally thinking that it could be the VPN providers but they do seem to work perfectly on L2TP and OpenVPN.

Please let me know if you have any ideas and/or need any log files.

Thanks

Hi there,

I'm running ver 374.37 and when I mount the /jffs partition via the webui I end up with two syslog.log files one in /tmp and one in /jffs. Any idea why this is happening or how to fix?

This is not a bug, this is by design. Asus added that feature a few weeks ago where syslog gets backed up to /jffs so it can survive reboots.

RT-AC68U owners, can you give this 374.37_2 test build a shot?

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/ftf9kjixr1a5f//Misc

I only integrated the updated CTF and wireless drivers in it so I could flash it on my main router and give it a more thorough test, but I thought I'd push this to Mediafire for others to try out.

I just got the RT-AC68U and flashed it with this build. Working perfectly here. This router's range is definitely a lot better than my RT-N66U (SDK5 build) especially on the 5ghz band. Thank you RMerlin!