What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 3004.388.8 beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

From 12h run on AX88U*2 (Router/ Mesh)no special issues to report.
All work great without any issues.

Upgraded my router to Beta1. Seems to fix a problem I was seeing when I did a Factory reset then setup DNS Servers on wan page, internet light on the router would go RED but internet would be OK.

I just did a dirty upgrade coming from: RT-AX86U_PRO_3004_388.8_alpha1-g2302a1be67

And maybe it's just me.

Code:
Jun 24 20:08:01 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/wgclient-start (args: 1)
Jun 24 20:08:01 WireGuard: Starting client 1.
Jun 24 20:08:01 kernel: potentially unexpected fatal signal 6.
Jun 24 20:08:01 kernel: CPU: 2 PID: 7392 Comm: dnsmasq Tainted: P           O      4.19.183 #1
Jun 24 20:08:01 kernel: Hardware name: RTAX86U_PRO (DT)
Jun 24 20:08:01 kernel: pstate: 00070010 (nzcv q A32 LE aif)

Watchdog kicked in.

Jun 24 20:08:30 rc_service: watchdog 2465:notify_rc start_dnsmasq
Jun 24 20:08:30 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: start dnsmasq)
Jun 24 20:08:30 custom_config: Appending content of /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add.
Jun 24 20:08:30 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/dnsmasq.postconf (args: /etc/dnsmasq.conf)
Jun 24 20:08:30 Diversion: restarted Dnsmasq to apply settings
Jun 24 20:08:30 stubby[9337]: Read config from file /etc/stubby/stubby.yml
Jun 24 20:08:30 stubby[9337]: Stubby version: Stubby 0.4.2
Jun 24 20:08:30 uiDivStats: dnsmasq has restarted, restarting taildns

With WG client lock on and the WG lock is working fine as I marked it and tested yesterday. Will try to do a fresh install when Release is out and see what happens then.

@Sonyrolfy
For testing purpose would be nice to see "clean installation" with your settings with this beta

Last edited:
@Dedel66 Clean install here, but I was waiting for seven days before posting. I don't see much value in "installed fine" posts as that should already be tested. Betas are to test the firmware.
Installed fine, btw 🙃

Last edited:
I don't see much value in "installed fine" posts
It depends. If someone has a detailed signature with their settings, a statement like: "Everything is working as it should" is also useful.

EDIT:
I wanted to express that if someone is having problems with a beta firmware, please try a clean install and test if it was really the firmware that was causing the problems.
It is not helpful if someone says "I am having problems with the beta and am now waiting for the release with a clean install".

After one day all I can say: great job!
Thank you @RMerlin

Last edited:
Everything is working as it should" is also useful.
Maybe, but even better after at least a few days to give the gremlins a chance to show themselves.

Will it be ok to test the non-ROG version on a GT-AX6000 or should I stick with the ROG version?

1000128865.jpg

25h or so, all is working properly.
Nothing to complaint about

2 days in, zero issues. Good to be back to a properly functioning router.
Port redirects, static IP, IPv6 ports forwarded.

Careful with the hyperbole, someone might believe this is true !!!
;):D
Dont get me wrong. A kill switch is a nice feature for VPN. However i think theirs a bigger need for options to open up ports in router using VPN/Wireguard. Today you need to be an linux nerd and despite reading 100+ hours of material how to open ports, using SSH, none works.

Dont get me wrong. A kill switch is a nice feature for VPN. However i think theirs a bigger need for options to open up ports in router using VPN/Wireguard. Today you need to be an linux nerd and despite reading 100+ hours of material how to open ports, using SSH, none works.
The majority of VPN providers do not support port forwarding, and the few that do require you to use a custom API that is unique to them. That's why it's not something that can be standardized in the router firmware itself, each case is unique.

The majority of VPN providers do not support port forwarding, and the few that do require you to use a custom API that is unique to them. That's why it's not something that can be standardized in the router firmware itself, each case is unique.

Tailscale is one of the few that I think allows port forwarding through hole punching. But tail scale is not your conventional vpn.

Tailscale is one of the few that I think allows port forwarding through hole punching. But tail scale is not your conventional vpn.
PIA does, but you have to use custom scripts that they developped, and you need to constantly refresh the forwards or they will expire.

As I mentionned, everyone that supports it has their own unique proprietary method, generally requiring to be run through an interactive shell and requiring user input.

After upgrading from 3004.388.7 to 388.8 beta1 my Internet connection stopped working. Downgraded back to 388.7 and it's working again.
I use PPPoE connection. Internet status said that connection to ISP is established and I got my WAN IP. If I remember correctly, subnet was 255.255.255.255 / 0 while now on .7 is 255.255.255.255 / 255.255.0.0

Tried changing DNS, tried opening 1.1.1.1 in web browser, nothing worked.

It depends. If someone has a detailed signature with their settings, a statement like: "Everything is working as it should" is also useful.

EDIT:
I wanted to express that if someone is having problems with a beta firmware, please try a clean install and test if it was really the firmware that was causing the problems.
It is not helpful if someone says "I am having problems with the beta and am now waiting for the release with a clean install".

After one day all I can say: great job!
Thank you @RMerlin
please put me on ignore , don't want to upset you

After upgrading from 3004.388.7 to 388.8 beta1 my Internet connection stopped working. Downgraded back to 388.7 and it's working again.
I use PPPoE connection. Internet status said that connection to ISP is established and I got my WAN IP. If I remember correctly, subnet was 255.255.255.255 / 0 while now on .7 is 255.255.255.255 / 255.255.0.0

Tried changing DNS, tried opening 1.1.1.1 in web browser, nothing worked.

My connection is PPPoE too and everything is fine here, AX86U Pro