What's new

FlexQoS FlexQos Settings Problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Adi2071

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

I have a problem setting FlexQos. In my case, this qos only hinders instead of helping. My speed on speedtest is 520Mbps download and 220 upload. It can be assumed that this is a 500/200 connection.

Description of the problem:
Without the qos bufferbloat settings, I show +15ms for download, and +30ms when the link is clogged. With flexqos it is +30/+40 to start with and after the packages are full it is +50/+60.

What I would like to get:
I would like to go down to +0/+5 for bufferbloat for download.

Please help. I am sending my flexqos settings in the attachment.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    244.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 2.png
    2.png
    120.5 KB · Views: 55
  • 3.png
    3.png
    143.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 4.png
    4.png
    172.3 KB · Views: 60
I would no longer recommend FlexQoS based on the state of Adaptive QoS today. See if CAKE performs better for you. You might have to lower your bandwidth settings more with CAKE, but it should improve latency.

Was just about to say use Cake, it may help but it really depends on your wan stability. If you used starlink satellite or have a really poor signal to noise ratio on cable or vdsl theirs no helping your bufferbloat score with cake unless you want to really kill your speeds. Even fibre can get bad with dirty optical cables.

I would no longer recommend FlexQoS based on the state of Adaptive QoS today. See if CAKE performs better for you. You might have to lower your bandwidth settings more with CAKE, but it should improve latency.
I can't set CAKE. Because it disables ASUS hardware acceleration. The link speed is then 350-380Mbps and it is still +30/+40 in bufferbloat.

I am using ASUS TUF AX3000 v2. Traditional QOS and CAKE disable hardware acceleration and do nothing to improve link quality. It is foolish to set the cake to 250/300 Mbps if you have a 500 Mbps connection. The only option is ASUS adaptive qos or FlexQos.

It is foolish to set the cake to 250/300 Mbps if you have a 500 Mbps connection.
With the router you own, decide if you want maximum bandwidth or best latency. Sometimes you can’t have both.

Enable CAKE and keep reducing the bandwidth until no CPU reaches 100% in top during a speedtest. If latency doesn’t improve, then the task is hopeless anyway.

With the router you own, decide if you want maximum bandwidth or best latency. Sometimes you can’t have both.

Enable CAKE and keep reducing the bandwidth until no CPU reaches 100% in top during a speedtest. If latency doesn’t improve, then the task is hopeless anyway.
This router has 4 1.7GHz cores. The processor sleeps during the link test. CAKE qos and traditional qos do not work with AX ASUS routers, only AC up to 300Mbps. The only cake qos that works with AX routers is in OpenWRT as an SQM service. The only link deviation that I can accept is 85% of the link speed. This gives 450mbps download and 190mbps upload.

/usr/sbin/curl "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dave14305/FlexQoS/master/flexqos.sh" -o /jffs/addons/flexqos/flexqos.sh --create-dirs && chmod +x /jffs/addons/flexqos/flexqos.sh && sh /jffs/addons/flexqos/flexqos.sh -install

I installed flexqos from this link. And this way from github. Maybe libraries are missing or something else. I feel like this qos doesn't do anything at all. If I set 100mbps to adaptive or cake, nothing happens. It's still +30ms.

This router has 4 1.7GHz cores. The processor sleeps during the link test. CAKE qos and traditional qos do not work with AX ASUS routers, only AC up to 300Mbps. The only cake qos that works with AX routers is in OpenWRT as an SQM service. The only link deviation that I can accept is 85% of the link speed. This gives 450mbps download and 190mbps upload.
Why would the integrated Cake Qos not work on AX routers? I have a AX88U and it works excellent up to 385Mbps on a 500Mbps line from the ISP. It solved all of my latency problems.

I feel like this qos doesn't do anything at all.
See my first reply in this thread.

There’s also the unknown of Gnuton’s firmware. There’s almost always something missing in his builds compared to Merlin.

Does this statement (which I'm slowly starting to agree with, as I've found FlexQoS to not be as useful as it used to be) only apply to this situation?
I have a RT-AX86U, Internet speed at 450 (download)/55 (upload) and I don't fell that FlexQoS is helping as it was previously.
I was about to remove FlexQoS and install CakeQoS or do nothing on QoS.

Does this statement (which I'm slowly starting to agree with, as I've found FlexQoS to not be as useful as it used to be) only apply to this situation?
I have a RT-AX86U, Internet speed at 450 (download)/55 (upload) and I don't fell that FlexQoS is helping as it was previously.
I was about to remove FlexQoS and install CakeQoS or do nothing on QoS.
Adaptive QoS and hardware acceleration have changed enough lately that the old tricks no longer work. And the latest Trend Micro signature file makes the application classification quite useless.

Adaptive QoS and hardware acceleration have changed enough lately that the old tricks no longer work. And the latest Trend Micro signature file makes the application classification quite useless.

I just noticed that it no longer works as it should. I wanted to test freshtomato but it doesn't have QoS. There, it was enough to change from fq_codel to sfq and it was wonderful, or cake and diffserv4.

This router has 4 1.7GHz cores.

Only one core is used for routing.

CAKE qos and traditional qos do not work with AX ASUS routers, only AC up to 300Mbps.

AX-class routers work well with Cake up to whatever the CPU can process. Traditional QoS - never tested it for a long time.

The only link deviation that I can accept is 85% of the link speed.

In this case your options are: a) no QoS; b) Adaptive QoS; c) better hardware, perhaps appliance with x86 CPU.

I currently have this Asus-Merlin installed. It may be that something is missing for FlexQOS to function properly. Because without qos it is +15ms, with Adaptive qos it is around +30, after installing flexqos it is +60ms

Only one core is used for routing.

AX-class routers work well with Cake up to whatever the CPU can process. Traditional QoS - never tested it for a long time.

In this case your options are: a) no QoS; b) Adaptive QoS; c) better hardware, perhaps appliance with x86 CPU.

It works because my friend has cake qos on the same connection but in OpenWRT software. In Asus-Merlin, when cake is turned on, it turns off acceleration and resets the router.

it turns off acceleration and resets the router.

True QoS needs packet processing. Can't work with NAT hacks for slow CPUs. With fast enough ISP connection QoS may not be needed though. Many folks around hurt themselves after visiting bufferbloat testing sites. They need to read what bufferbloat is and when it happens first. Normal everyday Internet use is not worst case scenario at line saturation all the time. Some folks test over Wi-Fi adding more latency after the router and then try to correct it at the router with QoS. Won't happen.

True QoS needs packet processing. Can't work with NAT hacks for slow CPUs. With fast enough ISP connection QoS may not be needed though. Many folks around hurt themselves after visiting bufferbloat testing sites. They need to read what bufferbloat is and when it happens first. Normal everyday Internet use is not worst case scenario at line saturation all the time. Some folks test over Wi-Fi adding more latency after the router and then try to correct it at the router with QoS. Won't happen.

Theoretically, qos is not required on my connection, but when playing games, qos helps. More stable ping. Bufferbload is a terrible mess with qos and I don't even know whether to use it.

Is it a good solution to have adaptive qos for gaming, flexqos with default settings and only play with overhead packets?

Here is a spitball it’s not a guaranteed fix:

Asus has this application for windows pc’s which might help prioritize your connection per application. May or may not help.

I would also check your settings with TCP optimizer.

TCP optimizer is a little outdated; windows 11 now has optional congestion control for BBR by google. However BBR is not compatible with hyper-v virtual machines unlike how cubic is. It works fine on the VM’s but had difficulty in straight windows 11.

These along side FlexQoS on your router, and lowering the priorities of low bandwidth IoT devices or smart tv’s and increasing the priority of your gaming computer under adaptive qos-> bandwidth monitor might help.

Side note in the latest gnuton release I’ve found QoS and even cake doesn’t work well in his builds. Practically does nothing to help bufferbloat or qos; I suspect it may still have issues.

Last edited:
Is it a good solution to have adaptive qos for gaming, flexqos with default settings and only play with overhead packets?

ATM mode might help more with latency and line stability than normal or PTM. Maybe read up on the differences.

Flexqos has the options of HTB or fq_codel I might use the latter fq_codel.

Last edited:

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!