What's new

FlexQoS FlexQos Settings Problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I’d also maybe try toggling cake on and off.

Screenshot 2024-06-24 000949.png

Remoted into their router. Doesn't seem to be disabling archer ssh seems to confirm it's disabled. but even though you reboot the router the UI and cake doesn't agree with the value. So this seems to be a GNUton issue. I'll make a bug report if their isn't one already.

Screenshot 2024-06-24 001802.png

Bug report posted:

After turning off acceleration, the connection speed dropped to 420mbps. Unfortunately qos still doesn't work. I tried cake and flexqos.

After turning off acceleration, the connection speed dropped to 420mbps. Unfortunately qos still doesn't work. I tried cake and flexqos.

Your issue and mine maybe unrelated if it’s a model/build specific issue. If yours said that hw acceleration is enabled well using flexqos or cakeqos you might have the same issue. But yes with hw acceleration you’re going to get faster speeds using no qos or adaptive qos. If you use flexqos or cake they have hw acceleration disabled. You’ll notice a speed drop with hw off.

At least for me neither flexqos or cake work currently so it’s maybe akin to having qos off and hw acceleration off. Without the traffic shaping and congestion control it’s going to hurt your speeds.

Your issue and mine maybe unrelated if it’s a model/build specific issue. If yours said that hw acceleration is enabled well using flexqos or cakeqos you might have the same issue. But yes with hw acceleration you’re going to get faster speeds using no qos or adaptive qos. If you use flexqos or cake they have hw acceleration disabled. You’ll notice a speed drop with hw off.

At least for me neither flexqos or cake work currently so it’s maybe akin to having qos off and hw acceleration off. Without the traffic shaping and congestion control it’s going to hurt your speeds.
Without any Qos, the internet behaves much better. In my opinion, qos in Asus is broken already in the original firmware. I don't think anyone would modify and improve this qos when making Merlin.

I wanted to upload tomato and use their QOS, but unfortunately. I must have uploaded something wrong because I didn't see any useful function.

Without any Qos, the internet behaves much better. In my opinion, qos in Asus is broken already in the original firmware. I don't think anyone would modify and improve this qos when making Merlin.

I wanted to upload tomato and use their QOS, but unfortunately. I must have uploaded something wrong because I didn't see any useful function.

Supported from 2023.3.

2.5Gb WAN (Internet) Port.

Based on AsusWRT GPL388.22525.
Offers AsusWRT GUI/Features and some FreshTomato Features (as of Sept, 2023)

Change log:

If it uses an older GPL it might not have the same functionality, it might also deviate from the other routers since it uses the Asus web gui.

Last edited:
View attachment 59737

Remoted into their router. Doesn't seem to be disabling archer ssh seems to confirm it's disabled. but even though you reboot the router the UI and cake doesn't agree with the value. So this seems to be a GNUton issue. I'll make a bug report if their isn't one already.

View attachment 59738
The way the firmware detects Archer status on that page is by running:
Code:
/bin/fc status | grep "HW Acceleration"

The way the firmware detects Archer status on that page is by running:
Code:
/bin/fc status | grep "HW Acceleration"
Thanks that's helpful.

Screenshot 2024-06-24 073559.png

Archer is unfortunately still stuck on. But I can add this to the bug report.

Screenshot 2024-06-24 032351.png

I mentioned this in the bug report but I can see hwaccel under Tools_Sysinfo.asp in browser inspector, but was unable to find the reference once QoS Cake was enabled.

Edit: Had to go hunting for it but it's there.

Screenshot 2024-06-24 081948.png

Last edited:
If anyone one else had gnuton related issues with cake or flexqos please report your issue with gnuton on his github.

Use this template here it is for convenience:

**Router Model Affected**
Models: (eg: DSL-AX82U/RT-AX82U/...)

**Firmware Version Affected**
384.xx

**Is this bug present in upstream Merlin releases too?**
Yes/No

**Describe the bug**
A clear and concise description of what the bug is.

**To Reproduce**
Steps to reproduce the behavior:
1. Go to '...'
2. Click on '....'
3. Scroll down to '....'
4. See error

**Expected behavior**
A clear and concise description of what you expected to happen.

**Screenshots**
If applicable, add screenshots to help explain your problem or remove this section

In my case, with a 500mbps connection, turning off hardware acceleration is the worst idea you can come up with. Acceleration is unnecessary for connections below 300mbps. You should use such qos and software that everything cooperates properly to obtain +0 DL/+0 UP on the bufferbloat. My friend on OpenWRT by setting SQM to 490 mbps, cake and piece_of_cake obtained +ms1 DL. I want to get the same on ASUS firmware / Merlin. But unfortunately this qos software sucks and it only gets worse with qos enabled.

In my case, with a 500mbps connection, turning off hardware acceleration is the worst idea you can come up with. Acceleration is unnecessary for connections below 300mbps. You should use such qos and software that everything cooperates properly to obtain +0 DL/+0 UP on the bufferbloat. My friend on OpenWRT by setting SQM to 490 mbps, cake and piece_of_cake obtained +ms1 DL. I want to get the same on ASUS firmware / Merlin. But unfortunately this qos software sucks and it only gets worse with qos enabled.
I don’t know the technical difference as to why openwrt’s Cake SQM works with hardware acceleration and why it doesn’t with Asus merlin that would be a question for @dave14305 or @RMerlin or search the forum for past information.

Gnuton builds his fork from the upstream of Merlin’s builds, and merlin builds from upstream GPL provided by Asus. They have a working relationship with Rmerlin and I can’t say I know if the same is true with Openwrt, so they might take liberties that modify broadcoms SDK or other functions which might not be allowed since much of it is proprietary.

Regardless of if it’s Asus or Openwrt’s, version of Cake SQM I’ll be happy with stability of the QoS’s and would take either if applicable. But I agree if HW acceleration worked on Asus I think none of us would complain about the benefits.

Last edited:
I don’t know the technical difference as to why openwrt’s Cake SQM works with hardware acceleration and why it doesn’t with Asus merlin that would be a question for @dave14305 or @RMerlin or search the forum for past information.

Gnuton builds his fork from the upstream of Merlin’s builds, and merlin builds from upstream GPL provided by Asus. They have a working relationship with Rmerlin and I can’t say I know if the same is true with Openwrt, so they might take liberties that modify broadcoms SDK or other functions which might not be allowed since much of it is proprietary.

Regardless of if it’s Asus or Openwrt’s, version of Cake SQM I’ll be happy with stability of the QoS’s and would take either if applicable. But I agree if HW acceleration worked on Asus I think none of us would complain about the benefits.

I remember this thread before I joined in which Rmerlin explained why the Accelleration should be turned off on Cake, so I assume it is due to conflicts with the trend micro systems

Broadcom vs Qualcomm.

Broadcom's Flow Cache will cache flows, bypassing the kernel stack. Cake needs direct access to flows to be able to properly manage them. If you have Broadcom's Flow Cache enabled while using Cake, then Cake won't be doing its job.

Broadcom vs Qualcomm.

Broadcom's Flow Cache will cache flows, bypassing the kernel stack. Cake needs direct access to flows to be able to properly manage them. If you have Broadcom's Flow Cache enabled while using Cake, then Cake won't be doing its job.
Thank you for the clarification.

Well I’m still unclear what freshtomato does with its qos to keep hw acceleration enabled. Noticed I said openwrt… they all blurr together at this point as I’ve not used them in years apologies about the confusion. Although informing nevertheless

Since op uses tuf-ax3000 v2 it should be Broadcom.

This is going by the assumption that freshtomato even uses hw acceleration in cake sqm. In which I don’t know. But anyways. Hopefully that answers some of op’s question.

Better flexqos with cake rules. Speed settings Auto, overhead 18, Adaptive qos prefer gaming and flexqos prefer gaming. I have +5ms, When the connection gets clogged, it jumps to +15. Previously +30/+40 and when the connection was clogged it was +60 and higher.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!