What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.374.37 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Are you able to get 802.11ac performance tho? If you do, then it could just be that the tool you are using lacks 802.11ac support (like InSSIder 3), so it can't properly report the channel width.

yes i sure did. this is using the wireless N built in to the iMac . nice speed

3206478713.png

After 3 hrs on 37_2 on 68U I am one happy user again :)

Great improvement on 2.4GHz band and a little bit better on 5GHz.
AC connection with Netgear A6200 - no problem! :)

NAT Acceleration still at Level 1 CTF, after changing to level 2 - router reboots and goes back to Level 1.

Keeping my fingers crossed for .28 version
Thanks Merlin!

Noticed these "dips" happening in 2.4 signal strength. My 2.4 networks are Network and Asus_Guest1. The dips occur on both 2.4 SSID's but not on the 5G SSID (also Network) and not at the same time. I do not know what is causing them (my NIC doing a scan, problem with the driver on the router, etc..). Just throwing it out there in case and soliciting opinions.
Thanks

Attachments

• inssider1.jpg
    inssider1.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 343
Last edited:
RT-AC68U owners, can you give this 374.37_2 test build a shot?

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/ftf9kjixr1a5f//Misc

I only integrated the updated CTF and wireless drivers in it so I could flash it on my main router and give it a more thorough test, but I thought I'd push this to Mediafire for others to try out.

I am seeing very good throughput on the 2.4GHz band with the 374.37_2 on my AC68R. I am getting around 70 Mbps 40 feet away one floor down with 4 walls and two cabinets in between. Never seen this before with any of the previous builds. A solid move in the right direction :)

Thanks for the feedback folks.

I'm working on merging the 374_2078 GPL code into the main tree, which should hopefully also take care of the USB issues (I haven't finished merging yet, so I can't tell at this point if it will take care of that issue or not). No idea when that will be done, will probably a couple of days as I will need to test it for a bit.

On the N66U driver front, I was able to do a few tests. Strength-wise, the signal doesn't seem to be at the same level of the SDK5 driver, tho it did seem to have a slightly stronger RSSI. I suspect that most of the changes in this new version were in regard to PPPoE acceleration, and possibly general stability and performance - I can't tell for sure as I never had any problem with the previous driver. There's a thing or two I want to test once I get a merged code tree however.

The oldusb builds were showing some other issues here when I did more tests with them. My RT-N66U would get stuck whenever I tried to reboot it for instance, requiring a power cycle. Therefore I will pull those oldusb builds from the download site for now.

Merlin seems that Asus launched a new firmware

will the same stuff being integrated into the 37_2 ?

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.374.542
Fixes
1. Fixed the CTF lock handling mechanism.
2. Updated the descriptions in WDS page.
3. Updated the descriptions in VPN client and Time Machine pages.
4. Fixed the USB modem connection issue in load balance mode

In v542 the Level 2 option has been removed.

The .37 version is now history - RMerlin is working on .38 for us. :)

With USB disk forrmated to "ext3" router constantly reboots! NTFS & ext4 works ok.

Noticed these "dips" happening in 2.4 signal strength. My 2.4 networks are Network and Asus_Guest1. The dips occur on both 2.4 SSID's but not on the 5G SSID (also Network) and not at the same time. I do not know what is causing them (my NIC doing a scan, problem with the driver on the router, etc..). Just throwing it out there in case and soliciting opinions.
Thanks

What OS are you using to run inSSIDer? I get deep dips when it is run under win 8.1 <big spit> but rock steady levels when using win 7. The actual level is the same with both OSs, the only difference is the dips.

usb share

I am running 37 beta 2 on the ac68u, I also have a ac66u... im trying to share a folder on my 68u that is usb 3.0 500 gig ntfs hdd... with the 66u I just plug it in and I can click on the 66u and the drive shows up but, on the 68u in the usb3.0 port its not working... is there something I have to click for it to show up under windows network?

Thanks

When you see signal dips in WIFI, it means there is interference. You are using 40MHz bandwidth(11+7) in the 2.4Ghz band. If you look at the graph, your setting is overlapping channel 6 which two or more of your neighbors that is close to you are using. Not only you are seeing the dips but also your neighbors. Use 20MHz width with the cleanest channel, your neighbors will love you. :)

Last edited:
I am running 37 beta 2 on the ac68u, I also have a ac66u... im trying to share a folder on my 68u that is usb 3.0 500 gig ntfs hdd... with the 66u I just plug it in and I can click on the 66u and the drive shows up but, on the 68u in the usb3.0 port its not working... is there something I have to click for it to show up under windows network?

Disable USB 3.0 interference reduction. Many disks are incompatible with that option.

When you see signal dips in WIFI, it means there is interference.
Not here I'm afraid. My laptop is next to the router and multiboots Win 7 & 8.1 amongst other OSs.

All parameters are the same (hardware and software) except the OS. Plus, having the laptop less than half a meter from the router rules out interference. The dips are frequent and substantial. Wi-fi performance throughout my house is excellent.

My results are totally reproducible.

Last edited:
Merlin just for clarification; I'm running currently on the SDK 5 line and using the 36-x beta on the N66U. I log into my isp via pppoe. Is there any pppoe acceleration in this build? Or is this acceleration only in the sdk 6 versions? With all the versions and discussions I've lost track. ;-)

Thanks for the feedback folks.

I'm working on merging the 374_2078 GPL code into the main tree, which should hopefully also take care of the USB issues (I haven't finished merging yet, so I can't tell at this point if it will take care of that issue or not). No idea when that will be done, will probably a couple of days as I will need to test it for a bit.

On the N66U driver front, I was able to do a few tests. Strength-wise, the signal doesn't seem to be at the same level of the SDK5 driver, tho it did seem to have a slightly stronger RSSI. I suspect that most of the changes in this new version were in regard to PPPoE acceleration, and possibly general stability and performance - I can't tell for sure as I never had any problem with the previous driver. There's a thing or two I want to test once I get a merged code tree however.

The oldusb builds were showing some other issues here when I did more tests with them. My RT-N66U would get stuck whenever I tried to reboot it for instance, requiring a power cycle. Therefore I will pull those oldusb builds from the download site for now.

RT-AC68U owners, can you give this 374.37_2 test build a shot?

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/ftf9kjixr1a5f//Misc

I only integrated the updated CTF and wireless drivers in it so I could flash it on my main router and give it a more thorough test, but I thought I'd push this to Mediafire for others to try out.

Merlin, here is something I noticed in 37_2 which I am still investigating and maybe related to the other USB issues in 37 that you are currently addressing. When I try to copy a large file from the AC68R USB drive to my laptop using windows file explorer the copy fails after about a minute or so. The windows network connection to the router is getting reset in the middle of the transfer. I don't see any dip in the wireless signal. So I think it is purely related to accessing the USB drive as a network drive. I don't see any errors or warnings in the log. Something to keep in mind while you are cleaning up the USB issues in 37.

Merlin, here is something I noticed in 37_2 which I am still investigating and maybe related to the other USB issues in 37 that you are currently addressing. When I try to copy a large file from the AC68R USB drive to my laptop using windows file explorer the copy fails after about a minute or so. The windows network connection to the router is getting reset in the middle of the transfer. I don't see any dip in the wireless signal. So I think it is purely related to accessing the USB drive as a network drive. I don't see any errors or warnings in the log. Something to keep in mind while you are cleaning up the USB issues in 37.

Upon further investigation I think this is a false alarm on the AC68R end. Looks like the problem is with the wireless client on my laptop. When the file transfer fails the laptop is losing the connection to all the computers in my network. Not just the router.

What OS are you using to run inSSIDer? I get deep dips when it is run under win 8.1 <big spit> but rock steady levels when using win 7. The actual level is the same with both OSs, the only difference is the dips.

Win 8.1 here also.

Not here I'm afraid. My laptop is next to the router and multiboots Win 7 & 8.1 amongst other OSs.

All parameters are the same (hardware and software) except the OS. Plus, having the laptop less than half a meter from the router rules out interference. The dips are frequent and substantial. Wi-fi performance throughout my house is excellent.

My results are totally reproducible.
Do you have 2.4GHz band @40MHz too as the OP? Interferences comes from everywhere even if the client is close to the router, it's statics from the outside that counts and the inSSIDer graph represents the wireless router, it shows what the wireless router receives in the immediate range it has nothing to do with the client.

Last edited: