What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.5 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This!!!

Stop eyeing the logs for stuff that doesn't not effect the day to day operation of the router.
Maybe we should be talking about these settings?

Screenshot 2022-03-08 183339.jpg

Is there any relief to be found by tuning these? Mostly, I mean like you're saying above... many users don't even understand what they're reading in the logs, but they see keywords like "failed", "deauth", "tainted" and they lose their sh*t. Is there a log setting for "...just want to know if it's affecting the performance of my WAN or LAN?"

But i just want to know what's they means. And if they are meaningless it's just garbage filling out the log and masking meaningfull entries.
The firmware has a display filter built into the GUI to filter out some of these messages.
But the “can’t delete it” message isn’t part of the filter list yet.

Looks like Merlin refreshes the list every time the firmware is built, from this URL:

The firmware has a display filter built into the GUI to filter out some of these messages.
But the “can’t delete it” message isn’t part of the filter list yet.

Looks like Merlin refreshes the list every time the firmware is built, from this URL:
I never saw this message "not mesh client, can't delete it" before i upgraded to 386.5 (from 386.3_2). Maybe it could be a good thing to add it to the filter if it's harmless.

View attachment 40060

Is there any relief to be found by tuning these? Mostly, I mean like you're saying above... many users don't even understand what they're reading in the logs, but they see keywords like "failed", "deauth", "tainted" and they lose their sh*t. Is there a log setting for "...just want to know if it's affecting the performance of my WAN or LAN?"
Agree with you. I've already look these settings. But what could be the good threshold ? info ?

386.5 working well om my RT5300 no problems good strong signal and no more drops on the guest network
Thanks for another great FW

After a dirty upgrade from beta my 5GHz WiFi password had become corrupted.
The password had WPA2-Personal inserted 3 characters in.
Took me a minute to figure it out, but changing it back to the correct one solved the issue of course.
Don't know how or why, but as I have been on vacation for the past week and all devices connected when I got home then failed authentication after the update, I'm going to conjecture the update somehow did it.

I'm curious about these entries in the log as well. I don't have RADIUS enabled as far as I can determine looking at wireless settings.

Code:
Mar  8 20:42:05 hostapd: eth6: STA 18:4e:cb:88:dd:fd IEEE 802.11: associated
Mar  8 20:42:05 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(534): eth6: Assoc 18:4E:CB:88:DD:FD, status: Successful (0)
Mar  8 20:42:05 hostapd: eth6: STA 18:4e:cb:88:dd:fd RADIUS: starting accounting session 0A2B1A38056E216C
Mar  8 20:42:05 hostapd: eth6: STA 18:4e:cb:88:dd:fd WPA: pairwise key handshake completed (RSN)

I dirty upgraded my RT-AC3100 and two RT-AC68Us to 386.5 and had major problems. Wifi kept disconnecting and my two AIMesh nodes (the RT-AC68Us) kept going offline. My network printers disappeared from my network also. I downgraded back to 386.4 and everything is stable and working properly again. Tried upgrading again but first setting everything back to factory default first with the same results so I am back on 386.4 until the next release comes out that hopefully fixes whatever is going on with this one. FWIW, I've been running AsusWRT firmware since ver. 380.65.4 on several Asus routers so I do know my way around. If anyone has any ideas what might be going on I'm all ears.

Last edited:
Been right around the loop via 386.5 Beta and it works now.......god knows
I give up
And this morning it is back

A flick around the screen and it is gone......

Attachments

• Screenshot (65).png
    Screenshot (65).png
    133.6 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:

View attachment 40060

I did some tests with these settings. Changed Default message log level from notice to warning and Log only messages more urgent than from debug to notice.
Rebooted and no luck, nothing changed. Always getting "not mesh client, can't delete it".

I saw a reply from RMerlin on another post and he said this:
"Default message log level is the level used by the router's own logging. Unfortunately, Asuswrt uses the same level for all of the log entries it generates itself, rather than distinguishing between notices, and critical errors when logging. This can be problematic for people using a centralized syslog daemon, as by default everything carried a priority of emergency, making it impossible to filter things. This setting allows you to assign a more sane default level so not everything from the firmware comes in as being an emergency.
The various daemons and services (dnsmasq, miniupnpd, etc...) will typically use an appropriate level when generating log entries.

Log only messages more urgent than is the default filter level for the router's own syslog (what is shown on the System Log page). If set to "All", then everything sent to the router's syslog gets shown. If set to a different level, then you can ensure that, for example, only errors get shown (once again, see the limitation in the previous paragraph regarding the firmware's own log entries)."

Guys, i see a lof ot those below...

what are those messages?

Mar 9 17:41:07 kernel: XXXXXXXXX0 not mesh client, can't delete it

didnt see them before when i was on 3.2

Just updated RT-AX68U from 386.3_2 to 386.5 and constant 5ghz wifi disconnects are back. :(

386.3_2 = stable

386.4 = Constant 5ghz wifi disconnects, had to factory reset and revert to 386.3_2 to regain stability.

Went a couple of weeks again on 386.3_2 without wifi drops, but as soon as I upgraded to 386.5 the 5ghz wifi started dropping again immediately.

What's going on?

After installing 386.5, I suddenly have a client that is unable to connect to one of the guest network at all.

I know wifi is closed source and up to Asus, but does anyone have the same experience?

Curiously, the same client cannot connect to the main network as well, but only if protected management frames are enabled (capable). This makes me suspect it is somehow enabled on guest networks, in case that is possible.

I know wifi is closed source and up to Asus, but does anyone have the same experience?
Try reconfiguring that Guest in case for some reason the passphrase might be corrupted, or some of the low-level Guest settings were corrupted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!