What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.63_2 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

A few of us reported this a couple of weeks ago. Turning off Traffic Analysis seemed to work for me for over a week, but my router has now rebooted 4 times overnight. It seems something odd is going on.

Dear RMerlin,
this firmware has a bug in NFS (even the 380.62 has the same bug).

After a restart the NFS system is not going up.
You need to go inside "NFS exports" and then you need to click the APPLY without chenging anything.
After that is working again.

Thank you
Zio Lupo

Send it to my email address ( ....).

Not necessarily related to that message, but it brings up one potential problem - go to Tools -> Sysinfo and make sure you have enough free nvram space. Anything above 60 KB out of 64 KB is risky.

Email sent. Sorry for the delay, traveling for US holiday. Your assistance is greatly appreciated!

I've been having a lot of reboots on my ac66u. Logs don't seem to show anything out of the ordinary it just restarts. Sometime when there's barely any load on the network.

Log

Nov 24 23:46:25 dnsmasq-dhcp[245]: DHCPOFFER(br0)
Nov 24 23:46:25 dnsmasq-dhcp[245]: DHCPREQUEST(br0)
Nov 24 23:46:25 dnsmasq-dhcp[245]: DHCPACK(br0)
Nov 24 23:46:50 dnsmasq-dhcp[245]: DHCPSOLICIT(br0)
Jul 31 20:00:17 syslogd started: BusyBox v1.20.2
Jul 31 20:00:17 kernel: klogd started: BusyBox v1.20.2 (2016-11-11 16:42:59 EST)
Jul 31 20:00:17 kernel: start_kernel
Jul 31 20:00:17 kernel: Linux version 2.6.22.19 (merlin@ubuntu-dev) (gcc version 4.2.3) #1 Fri Nov 11 16:44:17 EST 2016
Jul 31 20:00:17 kernel: CPU revision is: 00019749
Jul 31 20:00:17 kernel: Found an ST compatible serial flash with 32 64KB blocks; total size 2MB

I don't use any of the QOS/monitoring features or USB HDD stuff either.

I also run a ac56u as an access point that one never restarts itself.

Last edited:
Email sent. Sorry for the delay, traveling for US holiday. Your assistance is greatly appreciated!

You're not using Asus's auto-generated client key/certs, which means you need to generate your own, and paste them in the appropriate sections of your .ovpn file.

Code:
<cert>
    paste client certificate data here
</cert>
<key>
    paste client key data here
</key>

By looking at it, I don't see anything specific that would cause the router to crash when importing such an ovpn file, so I assume the crash is caused by these missing key/certs.

Last edited:
A few of us reported this a couple of weeks ago. Turning off Traffic Analysis seemed to work for me for over a week, but my router has now rebooted 4 times overnight. It seems something odd is going on.

While disabling the Traffic Analysis helps, it does not solve the issue unfortunately, I have even disabled the AI Protection but eventually the WAN will drop regardless. Shame this cannot seem to be fixed and hopefully Asus will have fixed this when the new firmwares start releasing (No idea when that is)

I am still holding off from using my RT-AC87U due to unstable firmware in the past.

How's v380.63_2 in that regard?

I am still holding off from using my RT-AC87U due to unstable firmware in the past.

How's v380.63_2 in that regard?
Working perfectly well on my RT-AC87U. The issues I've read others report seem specific to Traffic Analysis and/or QOS and aren't exclusive to the RT-AC87U. (though I could be mistaken, as I haven't bothered to read > 300 posts in detail)

Working perfectly well on my RT-AC87U. The issues I've read others report seem specific to Traffic Analysis and/or QOS and aren't exclusive to the RT-AC87U. (though I could be mistaken, as I haven't bothered to read > 300 posts in detail)

Sounds great. Then it may be time to give it a test run. :)

I'm in no real hurry thou, as my AC68U is rock solid with the custom firmware. John's fork.

My experience is this firmware is unstable on ac87u. Experiencing same problems as others with restarts several times a day and upnp issues. Turning off traffic analysis improves reliability with restarts dropping to every few days or more but Asus have broken something in this firmware. Will be more cautious in upgrading in the future.

Colleagues, I recently wrote about periodic reboots the router. I found the cause.
Disable Notification to the post office on AiProtection page (see. Screenshot) and reboot stopped. The strange thing is that the alerts are configured in the spring and everything worked without problems and suddenly began two months ago that ... I noticed that for 10-15 seconds before the reboot, the record appears in the logs (see. Screenshot) of the sent message (and it normally comes in the mail!), and then reboot.
Of course I can live without notification of malicious IPs and websites, but ... There are some ideas how to fix this?

View attachment 7745 View attachment 7746
Hi guys,
I came upon your message merely by accident and since I was experiencing similar reboot issues, I checked my logs and found out I had similar entries. I was using a google account to send the reports and as you did, I switched off the mail notifications. And miracle ! It works !! My router has been up for 145 hours where before it would reboot every 12 hours or so ! So the problem does seem to be related to mail notifications. What is strange however is that I did receive some notifications in the past. So that means that all notifications did not provoke a reboot...
If I find the time, I'll try with other mail providers and give you all some feedback.
Cheers

Hi guys,
I came upon your message merely by accident and since I was experiencing similar reboot issues, I checked my logs and found out I had similar entries. I was using a google account to send the reports and as you did, I switched off the mail notifications. And miracle ! It works !! My router has been up for 145 hours where before it would reboot every 12 hours or so ! So the problem does seem to be related to mail notifications. What is strange however is that I did receive some notifications in the past. So that means that all notifications did not provoke a reboot...
If I find the time, I'll try with other mail providers and give you all some feedback.
Cheers
Hello!
If you can check with other mail providers - I will be grateful, if you share the result.

Confirmed: Works like a charm on my AC87U and rock solid (currently 14 days uptime) - but not using Traffic Analysis and QOS due to fast ISP and no specific need for it. ;)

Other tools like Transmission (see footer) working without any problems: stable and fast! :)

My experience is this firmware is unstable on ac87u. Experiencing same problems as others with restarts several times a day and upnp issues. Turning off traffic analysis improves reliability with restarts dropping to every few days or more but Asus have broken something in this firmware. Will be more cautious in upgrading in the future.

Yeah it is unstable regarding the WAN issues, I am not sure specifically what is causing it but it is definitely a bug within the system somewhere and seems to be painful in this release.

Yeah it is unstable regarding the WAN issues, I am not sure specifically what is causing it but it is definitely a bug within the system somewhere and seems to be painful in this release.

I had it a few times in the beginning. But actually since then, it's never dropped once... not sure what it may have been?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can anyone suggest a stable Merlin release for the AC87U, because these constant random reboots have just got beyond a joke? Funny thing was it was stable for over a week when I disabled TA, but with no other changes its now rare it stays up for 24 hours.

Hard to give any useful info to help diagnose when there is no pre or post crash info in the log.

Could this by any chance be ISP specific?
I thought that at first but disabling TA helped for a little bit but now the problem is nearly as bad before. If it was an ISP I would have expected the problem to be persistent regardless of any of my attempts to resolve it.