What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.63_2 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi. Please tell me how to go with the latest version of the firmware oreginalnoy 3.0.0.4.380.4005 for your 380.63.2 firmware? Do I need to be cleaned before flashing NVRAM? Router ASUS RT-AC66U revision B0.

AC87U, on Merlin's wrt for more than a year. I used it mainly as an access point, NAS and media server. Except for a couple of releases that were less buggy than the others, this firmware was a pain. Constant drops in connection with the rest of the network (where i have dd-wrt on the other routers), media server constantly disappearing even during playback, this particular firmware was the worst, I could not complete watching one movie through the media server (connection went down in at most 30 min, on direct cable connection with the TV, had to restart the router to make it show again in media server list, after another 30 min, down again). Same goes for lan, except, the connection reestablished faster and without reboot. I'm talking wires only, have not needed the wireless connection much. A week ago I realized that I have given way too much credit to this firmware and went dd-wrt. Absolutely no issues since. For the first time, it actually works as advertised, at least for my own needs. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the effort that some of us do without asking for things in return, but it doesn't mean that we must not criticize the end result, based on the effort. Or maybe it's just my model to blame, I don't know...

I thought that at first but disabling TA helped for a little bit but now the problem is nearly as bad before. If it was an ISP I would have expected the problem to be persistent regardless of any of my attempts to resolve it.
The proper way to eliminate the possibility that it's the ISP would be to try the router at a friends' place who has a different ISp.

Tried disabling the ai alert but no appreciable difference on ac87u. Still having reboot issues. Have downgraded to 380.62 and I have my reliable router back. No rebooting or disconnecting for 48 hours and clean log. Fingers crossed. Hope Asus / merlin (though I think it's an Asus issue rather than merlin) figure out whats wrong.

Last edited:
Tried disabling the ai alert but no appreciable difference on ac87u. Still having reboot issues. Have downgraded to 380.62 and I have my reliable router back. No rebooting or disconnecting for 48 hours and clean log. Fingers crossed. Hope Asus / merlin (though I think it's an Asus issue rather than merlin) figure out whats wrong.
After I disabled the notification for 10 days without a reboot. Everything else in AiProtection included. Firmware Merlin 380.63_2. Before upgrading to 380.63_1 doing a hard reset, and then set up all hands, without the restoration of the config. After that restart proceeded to turn off notifications. Most have not changed anything in the settings.

No, sorry. That's for use in postconf scripts to delete a line from the router generated conf files.

who I have to bribe to get that "remove this client" tool tip to when hovering over the "x" in offline clients to actual work? it been there for months all it does it actual put client info add client tab... it rather annoying to have to wipe the client list via putty just to rid of 1 client or reset whole router.

Kinda ridiculous that tool tip says 1 thing but when click it, it does some different.

Add me to the list of ipv6 issues with Xfinity and this beta. I select native, enable the tweak, and ipv6 Lan Settings are blank.

Code:
dnsmasq[29984]: started, version 2.76 cachesize 1500
Nov 29 18:03:53 dnsmasq[29984]: compile time options: IPv6 GNU-getopt no-RTC no-DBus no-i18n no-IDN DHCP DHCPv6 no-Lua TFTP no-conntrack ipset no-auth DNSSEC loop-detect no-inotify
Did I miss that before or is Dnsmasq more verbose at startup / restart?
Also, on that router IPv6 is disabled, no DNSSEC activated.

Code:
dnsmasq[29984]: started, version 2.76 cachesize 1500
Nov 29 18:03:53 dnsmasq[29984]: compile time options: IPv6 GNU-getopt no-RTC no-DBus no-i18n no-IDN DHCP DHCPv6 no-Lua TFTP no-conntrack ipset no-auth DNSSEC loop-detect no-inotify
Did I miss that before or is Dnsmasq more verbose at startup / restart?
Also, on that router IPv6 is disabled, no DNSSEC activated.

Those are build-time features (notice the "compile time options" part), not run-time settings. It means this dnsmasq binary has dnssec support, but it's up to you to enable or disable it.

Those are build-time features (notice the "compile time options" part), not run-time settings. It means this dnsmasq binary has dnssec support, but it's up to you to enable or disable it.
OK, I'll have to look through the (new) Dnmasq options. There might be some benefits for AB buried in it.

OK, I'll have to look through the (new) Dnmasq options. There might be some benefits for AB buried in it.

The only new option is support for DNS loop checking.

Haven't had any issues with 87U and 380.63_2. I've got an uptime of over 15 days, no drop outs, able to stream hours of Netflix, movies, music no problems. Work from home during the day and connected to work VPN, hour long Skype conversations, etc and have 21 devices on the network at any one point in time of both wired and wireless. Perhaps the items below will help facilitate troubleshooting why things may not be working on your devices.

What I am using: Adaptive QOS with Apps analysis, OpenVPN Server and Client, Manually assigned IP around DHCP list, NAT acceleration: Auto, Spanning Tree: Disabled, Jumbo Frames: Disabled, plus the other items in my signature.

What I'm not using: Traffic Analyzer, AiProtection, AiCloud, IPv6.

For the others having issues, see if the following matches what you have under the Tools-Sysinfo section:
Firmware Build Fri Nov 11 21:43:17 UTC 2016 merlin@4b03404
Bootloader (CFE) 1.0.3.2
Driver version wl0: May 27 2016 10:16:35 version 6.37.14.126 (r561982)
Quantenna Firmware 37.4.0.56

Haven't had any issues with 87U and 380.63_2. I've got an uptime of over 15 days, no drop outs, able to stream hours of Netflix, movies, music no problems.
I have only one tiny issue with my RT-AC87U. I can't use the webUI to update the firmware and instead have to do it manually flash using mtd_write2 since 380.63 for some unknown reason.

Comparing my setup to yours, I'm not using the OpenVPN client, only the server. And I also use: Trend Micro AiProtection (Network Protection), AiCloud, IPTV, Samba and NFS filesharing, IPv6 (Tunnel 6rd) and AB-solution v3.

What I have turned off is Traffic Analyzer, Parental Control, DNS Filtering, Guest Network (albeit I've used it at times with no issues), Smart Access, Smart Sync, WPS, WDS, MAC filtering, RADIUS, DNSSEC (if I turn it on, I can't access many websites, debian.org is one example that comes to mind),

Some other settings worth mentioning are: manual channel control for both 2,4 and 5 GHz WiFi. DHCP query frequency is set to aggressive, NAT and uPnP, firewall (IPv4 and IPv6), DoS protection are all enabled and NAT Loopback is set to Asus.

My Sysinfo output is identical to yours.

I am seeing the following entry in my system log:

Nov 29 15:50:18 kernel: Interface wifi0 doesn't exist

Is this something I should worry about? My router seems to be running without any issues.

I am seeing the following entry in my system log:

Is this something I should worry about? My router seems to be running without any issues.

Do you have any custom script or config? I do not recognize this interface name (Broadcom normally uses eth1/eth2 or fwd0/fwd1).

I have only one tiny issue with my RT-AC87U. I can't use the webUI to update the firmware and instead have to do it manually flash using mtd_write2 since 380.63 for some unknown reason.
Hi,

Did you remove USB and reboot before the firmware update exercise?
Typically low memory prevents the firmware update via Web Interface.

My RT-AC68U with 380.63_0 showed high CPU usage for nic on one processor, so I upgraded to 380.63_2.

Now I get confusing results. Webui shows 0-2% CPU load on both processors, while TOP shows:

Mem: 82520K used, 173180K free, 0K shrd, 3356K buff, 23940K cached
CPU0: 0.1% usr 0.1% sys 0.0% nic 99.6% idle 0.0% io 0.0% irq 0.0% sirq
CPU1: 1.5% usr 0.7% sys 0.0% nic 97.0% idle 0.0% io 0.0% irq 0.5% sirq
Load average: 0.15 0.34 0.19 1/91 1461

What does it mean, when nic shows 98-100% CPU load?
Now, after the upgrade, it is both nic's that show high CPU.
Before the upgrade, it was only one nic that show high CPU, while the other was more or less idle.

Should I be worried?

My RT-AC68U with 380.63_0 showed high CPU usage for nic on one processor, so I upgraded to 380.63_2.

Now I get confusing results. Webui shows 0-2% CPU load on both processors, while TOP shows:

Before the upgrade, it was only one nic that show high CPU, while the other was more or less idle.

Should I be worried?
Those are the idle values, not the nic.
% than the service being monitored. I've been bit by that too in the past.

Should I be worried?

"nic" stands for "nice", not for "Network Interface Card". And you are reading it backward, it's 99.6% idle, not 99.6% nic.

"nice" is a low priority assigned to process in Linux.

Network transfer usually show up under sirq.

Those are the idle values, not the nic.
% than the service being monitored. I've been bit by that too in the past.
You are right: I read it backwards.
I wish I had saved the "before" status, which was cause of action.
Not sure if it was just "reboot" or "upgrade" that actually helped.
All is good now.

For now ... router had been running 14 days without problems, so I'll confirm, when it doesn't go 100% busy within next 2-3 weeks.