What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.10 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Not sure if I should start a new thread for this but I'm having an issue with this firmware version and the RT-AX88U. I just got this router and after updating to the latest Asus firmware I then flashed to Merlin. Everything works fine except my 5 GHz radio. I normally use Smart Connect (I know it's known to not work very well but it's always worked fine for me on my RT-AC3200 with default rules. Small house). With smart connect I rarely see any clients connect on the 5 GHz band, they always want to stay on 2.4 GHz. I turned of roaming assistant, beam forming, changed the rule, etc... and no difference. I then tried to separate the 2.4 and 5 GHz, giving them different SSID, the 5 GHz would not even show up on my available network list on multiple devices tested.

I thought it was the router so I flashed it back to Asus firmware getting ready to take it back and boom it worked fine on the factory firmware. I even flashed it back to Merlin again after wiping the router to factory default and had the same issue. I'm currently running on the Asus firmware. Anyone else seen this?

Also noticed the signal strength with the RT-AX88U is a bit weaker with this router then my RT-AC3200, same device same location will show -65 dBm vs -60 dBm respectively. Multiple devices have similar results.

Regarding 5 GHZ it is known issue, since wireless components are close sourced, merlin can't make changes to it. However you can manually select control channel and it will bring 5 GHZ up and devices will able able to join it. If you choose dfs channel which are between 52 to 144, there is wait about a minute before router will use that channel.

Just uploaded the new Beta. Dirty upgrade and all seemed well. Page by page inspection found the the QoS - WAN/LAN Bandwidth Monitor page will not load or track wan traffic in any way. QoS seems to have been rendered inop??
Same here with the RT-AC87U_384.10_1-g9410bcd604 !

But the "System Log - Wireless Log" is fixed.

Last edited:
Does your setup work with iOS devices?
My setup works with Windows native VPN client as well as StrongSwan VPN client on mobile. I have not tried iOS devices since the upgrade and will do so tonight. IKEv2 connections from Android devices work great using StrongSwan VPN client.

I have trouble upgrading to this version. I downloaded .trx file and tried to upload/update to my AC68U.
After uploading completes, webpage returns to Network Map page but router doesn't reboot to flash.
All mounted USB HDDs disappears.

Not sure what's going wrong. I am still on 384.8_2
Was your router a TM-AC1900 x-flashed to AC68U?
If this is the case, it will not work

Enviado desde mi Moto Z2 Play mediante Tapatalk

Just uploaded the new Beta. Dirty upgrade and all seemed well. Page by page inspection found the the QoS - WAN/LAN Bandwidth Monitor page will not load or track wan traffic in any way. QoS seems to have been rendered inop??
What model do you have?

Same thing happening on my 87U.

Was your router a TM-AC1900 x-flashed to AC68U?
If this is the case, it will not work

Enviado desde mi Moto Z2 Play mediante Tapatalk

Yes, it was Tmobile-AC1900 flashed to AC68U. I have been using Asus_merlin for a long time and flashed in the same way many times w/o any issue. This is the first time I am not able to flash to latest version.

Yes, it was Tmobile-AC1900 flashed to AC68U. I have been using Asus_merlin for a long time and flashed in the same way many times w/o any issue. This is the first time I am not able to flash to latest version.

upload_2019-4-2_14-36-40.png

My setup works with Windows native VPN client as well as StrongSwan VPN client on mobile. I have not tried iOS devices since the upgrade and will do so tonight. IKEv2 connections from Android devices work great using StrongSwan VPN client.
Please, could you send me your config files?

Thanks a lot. I will try this week and post my findings. I used my own certs/keys on server1. Tried the Asus Version on server2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have now uploaded the test version of the software (RT-AC86U_384.10_1-g9410bcd604) to my AC-86U and used L&LD's protocol to do so (except the SSID and b/g protection part). No different behaviour than with the original build. I can copy all the keys/certs to the GUI, but the first time I then hit apply, the CA, Server Certificate and Server key are replaced by new ones. My DH parameters and CRL stay intact.
After this, I can again change and save (and apply) the Server certificate and key, but the CA is overwritten again..
Below the screenshot of the settings page.
upload_2019-4-2_21-28-56.png

What model do you have?
RT-AC5300...
QoS is amiss, for sure.
Additionally, the total absorption of cpu/ram for any file transfer over a few megabytes to an attached usb drive used as a media server continues is this iteration of the software. It didn't used to do that, but nearly stops router function lately. I think that assets were governed in previous releases, because it definitely is a new behavior on this router using a process that I've often used before...

Zero change to the QoS page.
Here is a segment of the log for QoS:

Apr 2 12:17:20 A.QoS: qos_count=0, qos_check=0
Apr 2 12:17:23 nat: apply nat rules (/tmp/nat_rules_eth0_eth0)
Apr 2 12:17:39 BWDPI: fun bitmap = ff
Apr 2 12:17:39 A.QoS: qos_count=0, qos_check=0
Apr 2 12:17:42 A.QoS: qos rule is less than 22
Apr 2 12:17:42 A.QoS: restart A.QoS because set_qos_conf / set_qos_on / setup rule fail
Apr 2 12:17:43 A.QoS: qos_count=0, qos_check=1
Apr 2 12:17:46 A.QoS: qos rule is less than 22
Apr 2 12:17:46 A.QoS: restart A.QoS because set_qos_conf / set_qos_on / setup rule fail
Apr 2 12:17:47 A.QoS: qos_count=1, qos_check=1
Apr 2 12:17:50 A.QoS: qos rule is less than 22

I have now uploaded the test version of the software (RT-AC86U_384.10_1-g9410bcd604) to my AC-86U and used L&LD's protocol to do so (except the SSID and b/g protection part). No different behaviour than with the original build. I can copy all the keys/certs to the GUI, but the first time I then hit apply, the CA, Server Certificate and Server key are replaced by new ones. My DH parameters and CRL stay intact.
After this, I can again change and save (and apply) the Server certificate and key, but the CA is overwritten again..
Below the screenshot of the settings page.

Are you sure it's not your browser autofilling them? No matter how hard I try on my own RT-AC86U, I cannot reproduce your problem. The only time these three fields get auto-filled is if the CA field is empty (or contains an invalid PEM).

Can you email me the CA, server and key that you are trying to paste?

Here is a segment of the log for QoS:

Apr 2 12:17:20 A.QoS: qos_count=0, qos_check=0
Apr 2 12:17:23 nat: apply nat rules (/tmp/nat_rules_eth0_eth0)
Apr 2 12:17:39 BWDPI: fun bitmap = ff
Apr 2 12:17:39 A.QoS: qos_count=0, qos_check=0
Apr 2 12:17:42 A.QoS: qos rule is less than 22
Apr 2 12:17:42 A.QoS: restart A.QoS because set_qos_conf / set_qos_on / setup rule fail
Apr 2 12:17:43 A.QoS: qos_count=0, qos_check=1
Apr 2 12:17:46 A.QoS: qos rule is less than 22
Apr 2 12:17:46 A.QoS: restart A.QoS because set_qos_conf / set_qos_on / setup rule fail
Apr 2 12:17:47 A.QoS: qos_count=1, qos_check=1
Apr 2 12:17:50 A.QoS: qos rule is less than 22

Nothing new there, these messages always appeared if your router is taking too long to configure the QoS rules, especially if using more complex rules like with the FreshJR script. The router simply retries, until it eventually establishes your rules. Just give it a few minutes, and you should see the tc rules getting filled.

Are you sure it's not your browser autofilling them? No matter how hard I try on my own RT-AC86U, I cannot reproduce your problem. The only time these three fields get auto-filled is if the CA field is empty (or contains an invalid PEM).

Can you email me the CA, server and key that you are trying to paste?
Thanks for the PM Merlin, it turns out that doing this through Safari did somehow not work, but in Chrome it accepted the CA.crt.. I have my OpenVPN server now up and running again.
And thanks for the great service!

Same here with the RT-AC87U_384.10_1-g9410bcd604 !

But the "System Log - Wireless Log" is fixed.
Noticed the same thing with rtac5300
Flashed back to 384.10